Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So I jumped on the Seirra Trading Post sale ($109 if i remember right and free shipping) on this scope and ordered one up. I have never owned a sightron, so other than what I read on the net, had no idea what to expect on this scope.

The scope was delivered yesterday and so far my initial impressions are WOW! Very clear scope and easy to get behind. I compared it to a Zeiss conquest out my back window the last 30 minutes of the day and it was very close to the zeiss. The duplex is just right for me (not to thin, not to heavy). The scope feels well built and yet is only 13oz on my postal scale.
What really got me was the turrets. Talk about a firm, positive click. Firmer than a 10x SS that I used to own. Now keep in mind, I haven't even mounted this to a rifle so field performance, holding zero, ect. has yet to be tested but so far I like it a lot. I wouldn't have any issue based on what I have seen so far paying $250-$300 for this scope.

The only negative I can find is the scope is made in the Philippines - I was hoping for Japan - but it doesn't bother me that much as Burris has been pushing quality optics out of the Philippines for some time now.

I am trying to scrape together funds to purchase a NF for my 280AI - I may throw this Sightron on it in the mean time just to see how she does.

Overall so far - I LIKE IT A LOT!

Last edited by Hiaring8; 01/05/18.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had excellent luck with the sightrons i've used. their biggest plus is their tracking is very good, at least both mine were. The big negative if you must rip it apart is that the eye box is a bit narrow. not too much of an issue for most folks and probably wont come into play on a hunting rig but at a long range session i could see it lead to some discomfort. but the glass has been great in all of my Sightrons. i can't say about any of the ones in the last 8 yrs as mine were before that. hope they serve you well.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As far as I know the SI, SII, and S-TAC are made in the Philippines while the others are made in Japan. Not sure about the Big Sky models.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
So I jumped on the Seirra Trading Post sale ($109 if i remember right and free shipping) on this scope and ordered one up. I have never owned a sightron, so other than what I read on the net, had no idea what to expect on this scope.

The scope was delivered yesterday and so far my initial impressions are WOW! Very clear scope and easy to get behind. I compared it to a Zeiss conquest out my back window the last 30 minutes of the day and it was very close to the zeiss. The duplex is just right for me (not to thin, not to heavy). The scope feels well built and yet is only 13oz on my postal scale.
What really got me was the turrets. Talk about a firm, positive click. Firmer than a 10x SS that I used to own. Now keep in mind, I haven't even mounted this to a rifle so field performance, holding zero, ect. has yet to be tested but so far I like it a lot. I wouldn't have any issue based on what I have seen so far paying $250-$300 for this scope.

The only negative I can find is the scope is made in the Philippines - I was hoping for Japan - but it doesn't bother me that much as Burris has been pushing quality optics out of the Philippines for some time now.

I am trying to scrape together funds to purchase a NF for my 280AI - I may throw this Sightron on it in the mean time just to see how she does.

Overall so far - I LIKE IT A LOT!

I also order one which came in today. I compared it to a few lower end scopes I have - Leupold VX-2, VX-3 and a Minox ZA3. My initial impression is like the SII better. The glass seems as good in low light, reticle is ok, turret adjustments are MUCH better - both in feel and audibly. It's probably the best $109 dollars I've spent on a scope.... I'm impressed and think I'm going to try an SIII next.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Best $109 dollars that I've ever spent. I'm just mad cause I didn't buy an extra one.
I haven't compared it with my Zeiss or other scopes yet but I can tell it's a nice scope just by looking through it. Very easy to get behind, nice eye relief, good duplex reticle, and above par on the glass.
I actually ordered one for my co worker also, he still have an old 4x power bushnell so he'll be surprised when he looks through this glass.
I'm impressed to say the least.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I should have got one

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Let's us know some of the ring heights you guys get em set up with on your rigs.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I got mine today too.... it was certainly a good deal for $109 but it is nowhere near in the league as a conquest. It appears to have pretty good eye relief.... probably a more generous eye box than I thought. The glass is good probably more burris ff2 type glass than Conquest.... I would like a little bit thicker reticle..... it would be much better for the woods hunting I do. The clicks are very nice on the turrets and I just wish there was a way to reset the turret to zero via set screws or something.... it would make what is probably a pretty accurate erector useable.
In my book it's a $200 scope on sale for $109 which is still a good deal any day of the week.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I too got mine today and compared it to several scopes that I had on hand. The only one that beat it significantly was the Meopta Meopro. It is a really good deal at $109, wish I could get another. 👍

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Agree with you guys. For the price, I picked up a pair for a couple heavy barreled 10-22's and they arrived today also.
Didn't get to look through them till after dark but there was plenty of eye relief for me. The duplex type reticle was not too fine.
Turret movement felt solid and was very audible.

Thanks SockPuppet for the heads up.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I received 2 today. Thanks SockPuppet. I agree that the reticle leaves a little to be desired. Like a Leupold wide duplex, but the thick part is thinner than the Leupold.

Clicks are very positive. Glass very clear. I noticed the smaller eyebox immediately. Will mount them and check them out further. But so far, they are definitely worth the money.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.