-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The thing to do is get the American companies that make their stuff here to offer a custom service for a reasonable price so that anyone who wants to order a custom size can do so.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd do that...........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Custom sizes and appears to work with a wide array of fabrics. I've long thought about getting something from him but haven't yet.

http://foxwear.net

Wonder if he'd make a pair of bib overalls patterned after a pair of Carhartts but with something more advanced and lighter than canvas?!?

Last edited by pointer; 01/12/18.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Pointer,

Foxwear.net is certainly interesting. What caught my attention were the shirts made of power wool. Polartech website says they are made by combining a merino wool interior with a synthetic fiber exterior, thereby taking advantage of both fabrics. Sounds like First lite aerowool. The big difference is price. Short sleeve Aerowool is $80. The power wool shirts from fox wear are $35. Plus fox wear will custom fit.

Thoughts??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never used an item from them, but the prices there for the fabrics they use seem more than fair. You've probably spent $35 on worse things... wink laugh

IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I really like Sitka’s Jetstream. Just be sure to try one on before buying. I normally take a large, and found the XL jacket perfect. This was also true of the Dewpoint jacket (lightweight rain gear) and the Kelvin Light puffy. Like them all, though pricey.

Last edited by GF1; 01/29/18.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I too have the Sitka Jetstream and love it. Sheds light snow and rain, really blocks the wind and breaths nicely. It has been a great outer layer by itself, layered with the kelvin vest or jacket under it, or with the cloudburst gortex shell over it.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
Softshell and windproof don't really go together well, though many manufacturers sell them.

Marmot's M1, M2 and M3 softshells offer choices of breathe ability, windproof and waterproof capabilities depending on activity.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Layer: Merino light to medium weight or synthetic (never cotton in Winter) next to skin.

Fleece light to medium -- midlayer. Vest depending on movement to be considered.

Dryer and/or windy conditions -- softshell jacket over other layers.

Really cold, but dry -- puffy over everything.

Really wet or really windy -- waterproof parka...highly recommend Tru-Spec Military Style Contractor's Parka.

Add overwhites or select camo overcloth treated with DWR.

CARRY synthetic or merino spare baselayer for trip back from your furthest point hiked to be dry.

Highly recommend silk sock liners under your regular sock or sock layers.

Pants: merino or synthetic baselayers, thickness depending on temp and activity to prevent overheating.

"Mountain" pants (softshell type material) such as the major brands; Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, Columbia, Patagonia,
Arc'teryx, etc.

OR:

Waterproof ski, snowboard or climbing bibs for rough terrain or really harsh conditions.

Head: Nylon balaclava. White is especially good in sunny conditions or snow in Summer or altitudes.

Heavier or second layer in harsher conditions.

Hat with neck protecter for sunny OR altitude will keep you cool and protect you from sunburn and "chicken neck".

Various knit caps or hats as layers.

Hard hat or helmet if you are hunting or traveling where rockfall is possible or winds while in forested terrain.

Hands: White knitted work glove liners for summer or sunny conditions.

Glove "systems" (layered) are very good.

Shooting gloves for better dexterity when needed.

Mittens...rarely needed, but can save your fingers from frostbite.

Learn to use trekking poles while hunting, especially for a long approach to your area. Can allow you to safely travel tough
terrain, streams and logs, etc.

BOOTS: Get the right boots and layer your socks. Dress socks or silk sock liners and then proper thickness, preferably wool socks.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Softshell and windproof don't really go together well, though many manufacturers sell them.

I tend to agree.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

I tend to agree.

Yeah, you need to know which one to buy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, you just need to know what works and there are many more ways to skin a cat than one.

But tell me, do you always feel compelled to offer advice on socks, boots, and underwear when a guy asks about soft shell jackets?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, am compelled to do so. Am sincerely sorry if that upset you...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not at all sheriff.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For soft shell, I’ve gone with Otte Gear, when I can find their close outs. Heavy stuff but I think I’m set for the rest of my days.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by prm
Cabelas has had some good jackets. I have fleece like jacket with a wind blocker that I really like and a primaloft jacket that is really warm for its weight.

I don't know if they make a softshell jacket with the WINDHSHEAR, but if they do that'd be an option worth looking into. I have one of their WINDSHEAR lined wool sweaters and although it's heavy, it's a warm SOB

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The whole point of a softshell jacket is to have a wind and water RESISTANT jacket that is breathable so you can wear it during periods of high exertion. Think cross country skiing, mountain climbing, etc. If you need warmer or wind proof there are better products out there

Last edited by LSU fan; 03/23/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive tried a few different technology high wind/water resistance technical soft shells over the decades, now I typically prefer
a regular soft shell with a wind/waterproof hardshell over the top if need be....but each persons needs can vary.

but As technology keeps advancing , it good to visit whats new on the market in soft and hard shells or hybrid shells
and what may be of better service to you.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.