Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've been looking at outer jackets from the big names: Sitka (Jetstream), Kuiu (Guide), First Lite (North Branch), and few non hunting related from Mountain Research, ArcTerex, Mountain Hardware to name a few. I've been wearing a Kuiu Guide for the past 4-5 years. My only issue with the jacket is the sizing through the chest and arms - with only base layers it fits well. Add a substantial puffy and things get tight in a hurry - too tight for my likes.

I'm intrigued by a couple of the non-hunting softshells, namely the Outdoor Research Ferrosi and Ascendant. The only purpose for this outer layer is to shed wind, light rain, and be quiet.

What thoughts or jackets are you all wearing for mid-late October elk hunts?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Interestingly, I remembered a softshell I bought for hiking. It was a bit big for that purpose - but I loaded up my puffy (FL Uncompaghre) and 2 baselayers - fits perfectly. I don't know how well it breathes but it does shed wind and light rain.

https://www.freecountry.com/products/mens-cross-trail-softshell-jacket

My is perfect deer color (tan) which is a drawback to me - I don't want shot. Maybe a little dye job will work......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been real happy with a Gore-Tex, camo, un-insulated, Cabela's Whitetail series jacket and matching pant. It has a fleece like very quiet surface and I got it big enough to go over any mid layer puffy and my wool pants.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Following. I have an older Marmot Super Hero. I find the same with the sleeves being to tight and to long. It does have Gore Windstopper which seems legit. I have tried on a few of the name brands and for me, by the time I get them wide enough for my shoulders, the arms length is to long. I normally wear a Large, am 5'9" and 165. In Kansas, along with the cold we need to break the wind.

Last edited by 7_08FAN; 01/06/18.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You and I are almost exactly the same size, except I'm 5'8"" and 165. I can't say as I understand the sizing on 'performance' fit. I work out but wouldn't say I'm big by any stretch.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone have any experience with the Plythal line of Jackets etc. Sourced out of Arkansas. I would assume them boys have a normal build. Lol

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look for something with Polartec. I've two older Patagonia soft shells with Polartec Power Shield Pro and they are very sturdy, wind resistant and breathable. Since they don't make them anymore, I would check Sitka, KUIU, etc., for something made of Power Shield or even Neoshell. Though I have no personal experience with the Neoshell I have heard from reputable sources that it is an outstanding fabric for a breathable soft shell garment. I guess I should note that for a really good softshell that is breathable I would go with the uninsulated types. Use an under layer(s) for insulation. At least that's how I would play it.

Edit: some of the Polartec power shield products are extremely abrasion resistant. Very hard to tear and will last you a long time indeed.

Last edited by 340boy; 01/06/18.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just had the Outdoor Research Winter Ferrosi in my hands. It is a breathe softshell with 80 grams Thermore insulation. It is light, breathable, and water/wind resistant. I see this as an outer layer when it's cooler out. The outer fabric is also soft and should be quiet. I found them online for $131. I may snag one and try it out.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
First lite is coming out with a new hooded soft shell that is supposed to be lighter and more roomy than the North Branch.

For the type of backpack hunting I do I don't use a soft shell and probably won't but I am interested in one for kicking around the woods and for out in the skiff on days that the weather isn't to bad. Maybe for day hunts here during the blacktail rut as well.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Kuiu Teton which has much larger sleeves than the Guide jacket. It’s a large vice the medium Guide. Fits well as a top layer. A super down fits perfectly under it. I too am 5-8.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad was at Dallas Safari Club this week. I had him look at and send me pics of it. It looks interesting but a bit thin. I'll likely buy one
Supposed to come out in spring. Price be $225 ish.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 340boy
Look for something with Polartec. I've two older Patagonia soft shells with Polartec Power Shield Pro and they are very sturdy, wind resistant and breathable. Since they don't make them anymore, I would check Sitka, KUIU, etc., for something made of Power Shield or even Neoshell. Though I have no personal experience with the Neoshell I have heard from reputable sources that it is an outstanding fabric for a breathable soft shell garment. I guess I should note that for a really good softshell that is breathable I would go with the uninsulated types. Use an under layer(s) for insulation. At least that's how I would play it.

Edit: some of the Polartec power shield products are extremely abrasion resistant. Very hard to tear and will last you a long time indeed.

+1 for the Power Shield. They used that in the now-extinct Patagonia KnifeRidge jacket. Heck of a jacket, I was real bummed to see them go, but I stocked up and have a couple waiting in reserve. It seems like pretty darn breathable stuff too.

The OP should also check out the Patagonia Nano Puff. Wind proof, DWR, light, silent, etc.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've come across 2 interesting jackets. Both seem interesting but distinctly different.

http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-dual-aspect-hoody/83200.html

https://nomadoutdoor.com/products/nomad-dunn-primaloft-jacket?variant=5720230428700

I found the Nomad for cheaper and ordered one. I think I'd like a bit of insulation for the hike in and sit for 2-3-4 hour situations I seem to do. We'll see, for $10 I can send it back. $10 is cheap R&D......

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cabelas has had some good jackets. I have fleece like jacket with a wind blocker that I really like and a primaloft jacket that is really warm for its weight.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Cabela's lightweight fleece jacket / hoodie with the wind blocker is the schizzel. I'm 6'2" and go about 235 and the XL is perfect. If you want to wear it over a down jacket, you might want to get a 2XL, though. Definately my favorite everyday jacket by far.

Here's the non-hooded version on sale right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/barg...dshear-jacket-tall/1966909.uts?slotId=12

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/09/18.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Softshell and windproof don't really go together well, though many manufacturers sell them. Softshells are most efficiently used as an "action suit"...weather resistant enough to get through most conditions, while breathing far better than hard shells and drying fast. WindStopper and similar windproof laminates handicap softshell performance big time. Polartec Powershield and Powershield Pro are indeed excellent cold weather soft shell fabrics. The Ferrosi is very light weight, a great piece but not in the same class. I use Ferrosi pants for about May-Sept and they are great for that, same with the jacket. It dries insanely fast and breathes very well, but it really isn't very wind resistant. I pair it with a windshirt in the pack unless I'm just out for the day. If you keep up the DWR on a Winter Ferrosi it could be a useful piece, though to me it's kind of a tweener.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have an Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody on the way. Should be able to start trying it out this weekend. It is DWR coated and they claim wind resistant. We'll see. As part of a system, I have a Teton Rain jacket to deal with serious moisture or to add to the wind protection.

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/atom-ar-hoody

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by prm
I have a Kuiu Teton which has much larger sleeves than the Guide jacket. It’s a large vice the medium Guide.

The one thing I don't like about my Guide jacket is the tight sleeves combined with the really "grippy" lining. If you wear a base layer underneath that can ride up your arms when you put the jacket on, it will.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Deleted, wrong thread.

Last edited by smokepole; 01/11/18.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the OR Ferrosi (regular non insulated & no hood). Lightweight soft shell, very breathable. I use it in fall and spring, once temps get down into the 20s it's time for me to use something else. I have been impressed with its water resistence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.