Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
All,

I received one of these as a Christmas gift - https://themeadow.com/pages/how-to-cook-steak-on-a-himalayan-salt-block

Anyone else ever play with one? My research found a couple interesting recipes. mini-caprese-skewers and Salted Thai scallops

Apparently the salt flavor is subtle and you actually use less. Anyone else ever play with one?

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
new to me. smile

Sam......

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
New to me. Get back when you can.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Heard it is darned good. Might need to give it a whirl.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We have 2 salt blocks ( 6" x 6" x 1 " ) at hunting camp we use to cook venison on. When we first got them a few years ago we slowly baked them raising the temp. up to 500 deg. in the oven. Then seasoned them with olive oil. We place them directly on the gas burner and very slowly heat them up, both together making a surface area of 6"x 12". Lightly coat venison with olive oil ,pepper, and throw a few needles of rosemary on the salt blocks, no salt needed. Fry rare to med rare. enjoy. ---- Web
----- I've also done thin sliced onions , peppers, --- shrimp and fish on it. ---- do not Wash the block. wipe clean. Season olive oil

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had an incredible piece of beef tenderloin in an Irish pub in November served on the sizzling block with next to nothing else with it. One of the best pieces of beef I have ever eaten...

KISS worked there!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like it's going to be interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll report back with results.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
lets see. You have to heat these things for an hour or more, and then cook on them for a few minutes. Does not sound efficient as cast iron.

Sam......

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
lets see. You have to heat these things for an hour or more, and then cook on them for a few minutes. Does not sound efficient as cast iron.

I don't mind planning but it's sure not a quick dinner after work thing. I put elk Osso Bucco in the oven in a dutch oven at 1300 yesterday and it came out at 1700 as tender as all get out. Weekend stuff (and now leftovers!)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
After your initial slow heating up to 500 deg to get moisture out. It only takes maybe 10 minutes to heat it up to use it. That's with 1" thick salt blocks

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wldthg
After your initial slow heating up to 500 deg to get moisture out. It only takes maybe 10 minutes to heat it up to use it. That's with 1" thick salt blocks

Ah! good to know - the initial instructions were not clear on that point.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Alan;

Deb & I ate a superb venison loin served raw & cooked by ourselves at the table on a salt block in New Zealand 12 years ago.

I still remember it !

smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Alan;

Deb & I ate a superb venison loin served raw & cooked by ourselves at the table on a salt block in New Zealand 12 years ago.

I still remember it !

smile

Paul, was the blocked heated and then brought to the table where residual heat did the cooking or was it actively heated at the table? I was going to heat it on the grill.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Heated first & bought to the table, Alan.

Can't remember the vege/sides, but OH the meat. Local blueberry sauce of some kind too !

Mouth still waters when I reminisce !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, in Ireland the meat was sizzling on the block when they brought it to the table. The block was on a square metal, insulated platter with grilled vegetable sides on the platter now that I think about it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I got one for Christmas. Cooked a ribeye on it. It turned out good. A hot cast iron skillet would be about the same.Mine won't get used much.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Got my block last night. Got an 10x12" one. Going to try and give it a shot this weekend.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Never seen it before

A True Leader knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Pugs
All,

I received one of these as a Christmas gift - https://themeadow.com/pages/how-to-cook-steak-on-a-himalayan-salt-block

Anyone else ever play with one? My research found a couple interesting recipes. mini-caprese-skewers and Salted Thai scallops

Apparently the salt flavor is subtle and you actually use less. Anyone else ever play with one?

Yes, I’ve got one...a big one.
We use it on our bge making seafood, chicken and pork chops.
Very good, just make sure you heat it up slowly so it don’t break.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1. As long as you let it come up to heat with your BGE you will be fine. They excel at scallops and tenderloin strips. I haven't found anything beyond that deserves recognition.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
+1. As long as you let it come up to heat with your BGE you will be fine. They excel at scallops and tenderloin strips. I haven't found anything beyond that deserves recognition.

Mike

I was going to cure it on the gas grill as it's easy to control temps there (blowing like stink here). Picking up some scallops today so hopefully pictures and report this weekend,

Last edited by Pugs; 01/13/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not patient. Smoking is a struggle, and I have the fire tending to keep me busy.
Something that takes an hour to heat up would not be used much here.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I used mine for the first time. I heated it to 500 on my Traeger for about 30 minutes. Seasoned it with olive oil, then started the Traeger again and cooked a venison roast on it. Brought it to 500, seared the roast then pulled it, turned the heat way down on the Traeger and let it cool down then brought the meat internally up to 135 and pulled it.

It actually didn’t take any longer than cast iron searing does. The meat tasted excellent as well. I coated the meat with olive oil and crushed black pepper. Figured I’d see how much salt I’d get off the block. Upon eating it seemed about right but I’ll keep experimenting with it.

Semper Fi
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Appreciate the advice. I "cured" it on the gas grill to 500 degrees and then let it slowly cool. For dinner I put it in the oven and brought it up to 500 degrees. Scallops went on about 3 minutes on each side sizzling nicely. Served over some risotto.

Assessment: Fun, the salt clearly added some flavor but not overly so. I did them in two batches and the second batch got better color with a bit of the leave behind goop. I think the strength of this may be summer on the grill and then cooking small meat/seafood appetizers table side.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Mmmm scallops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.