Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There are still plenty of 7wsm's out there on GB - mostly Browning and Winchester. I've had at least one since 2004. Currently have one in X-Bolt SS Stalker and don't plan on letting go of it anytime in the foreseeable future. Have a decent amount of WW brass on hand, but glad to see Hornady is now going to offer it.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Strick9
Very viable, plenty of brass these days with Norma in the game and its good brass as well. I have several loads worked up with various speeds and weights. My two favorites are 145 LRX touching 3k and 168 Berger Classics at 2850 both run in the .3s.. Always looking for someone to come out with an offering in a short action that will give me another 200 -400 fps but until that apple is skinned I will stay with the 7 saum.

Haha, that's the 7WSM to a "T". It launches 140's at 3300 and 162's at 3100...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
7 saum is good to go. A bag of fifty virgins will last a hunter a lifetime if you don't ring too much steel with it. I have both the Saum and wsm.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Never owned a 7saum, but I bet I'd be happy with either.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think it’s a good and well-designed cartridge but I would consider it a handloading affair. One anecdote — I was going to build a very light rifle so-chambered but the ‘smith balked stating feeding problems in his experience which I never quite understood since it has a bit of case-taper that the WSMs don’t have. But he could get the short-fat 284 feed? And, yes, he did.

He recommended the 284 which I agreed to as I also liked it in a slightly longer box. Anyway, I’m very content with that route as it’s only a half-step behind the SAUM and is probably in my top two of favorite rifles.

ATC, it certainly would be a touch easier going with one of the WSMs due to greater brass, ammo availability. But that’s not the route loony’s always go in.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
What say you all about the 7 SAUM? Is it dead in the water? Still a viable hunting round for both hand loaders and factory ammo users?

I think it is a fantastic all-around cartridge and I want one, but don’t want to bother with anything obsolete.

Is the .270 WSM the best alternative for a short Mag in this category?

What about .270 WSM vs 7mm WSM and 7 SAUM?

I have nearly identical Remington 700s in both 270 WSM and 7mm SAUM. I like them both, but the 7mm SAUM probably feeds a little better and if I had to choose only one, I'd pick the 7mm SAUM and not look back.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I think it’s a good and well-designed cartridge but I would consider it a handloading affair. One anecdote — I was going to build a very light rifle so-chambered but the ‘smith balked stating feeding problems in his experience which I never quite understood since it has a bit of case-taper that the WSMs don’t have. But he could get the short-fat 284 feed? And, yes, he did.

He recommended the 284 which I agreed to as I also liked it in a slightly longer box. Anyway, I’m very content with that route as it’s only a half-step behind the SAUM and is probably in my top two of favorite rifles.

ATC, it certainly would be a touch easier going with one of the WSMs due to greater brass, ammo availability. But that’s not the route loony’s always go in.

I’ve run the .284 Win for decades. I love it but as time becomes scarcer I find myself tiring of the hunt for brass and the lack of decent factory ammo. Not that I shoot very much factory stuff, but I just find myself taking rifles on trips that are chambered for cartridges I would have at least a somewhat reasonable chance of finding factory ammo for should an emergency arise. Not like .308/.30-06 reasonable but 7mm-08 or .25-06 reasonable.

Damn. Re-reading what I just wrote, I seem to be talking myself out of the 7 SAUM for sure and probably even the 7 WSM. Does this mean the .270 WSM wins by default?

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
S
S
ADG cartridge brass is coming out with SAUM cases this summer. So there's another brass supplier. If one wants factory ammo SAUM isn't for you. I run mine in a large shank savage with accurate 3rd mags. I am fine tuning a load with Berger 175gr Elite Hunters and RL23. Initial shot testing is showing promise with a 3/4" group at 100yds with a reasonable charge of 59gr. Not sure how fast, no Chrono that day.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Now there's a handle........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What say you all about the 7 SAUM? Is it dead in the water? Still a viable hunting round for both hand loaders and factory ammo users?

I think it is a fantastic all-around cartridge and I want one, but don’t want to bother with anything obsolete.

Is the .270 WSM the best alternative for a short Mag in this category?

What about .270 WSM vs 7mm WSM and 7 SAUM?

Hornady is now making 7 WSM brass. It's a wonderful cartridge. I'd go that way. My (2) 7 WSM's shoot extremely well and obviously a fast 7mm is very effective on game.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 7 SAUM long version. Some call it the 280 AI 😎

I had both a 7 and 300 SAUM at one time in SS M700 BDL. I liked the cartridge alot but could quite get used to cutting my trigger finger every time I shot them. The sharp edge on the underside of the bolt hit my finger every shot. I have a permanant scar from them. I considered changing the bolt knobs but then discovered the M70 SS Classics. Had one of each of those as well - 7 and 300 WSM. Then discovered Kimber Montanas. Please don't let me 'discover' anything else......... 🤓

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
......... seem to be talking myself out of the 7 SAUM for sure and probably even the 7 WSM. Does this mean the .270 WSM wins by default?

Why would you consider such a thing?!?!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.