Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Z
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Looking for something versatile as I travel for work and many different bird hunting and clay range opportunities present themselves. Grew up shooting pump guns but finally ready to pick up a double gun. Nothing fancy is necessary, let's say $800-$1,000 cap. Preferably in the $5-800 range. Has to be relatively durable, snipe and waterfowl are on the menu so it'll see some time in a boat and or blind. Thanks ahead of time for any input.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At that price point you could check out the Stevens 555

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/Stevens555

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bought one in 20 Gauge for the wife and love it. Fits her and she shoots it well.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm of the opinion that in that price range you would get better quality in a semi auto. A Franchi Affinity would be a good quality gun in your price range. A new semi will also come with shims to adjust the fit to you.

If you are set on an O/U you should be able to find a used SKB in your price range. I would want an older Japanese made gun rather than the newly branded SKB guns made in Turkey. Other than that I would suggest saving and buying either a Beretta or Browning. Some guys like them but I am simply not interested in the hit or miss quality of the cheap made in Turkey guns flooding the market.

Z
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
The Stevens has definitely crossed my mind. Handled a couple and they feel pretty good. Anybody messed with the CZ Upland? Specifically the Ultralight?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a few rounds of sporting clays with one and I liked it, but the recoil was more than I want for clays or trap these days.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Stevens 555 seems to get much higher reviews over time than the CZ Ultralight for durability/problems.

But you'd be better served with a used Japan SKB, or save some more dollars for a used Beretta 686.

Or, if it fits you and you don't mind the weight, a used Browning Citori.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
The various O/Us from Turkey have become more reliable over the years but they still have a long way to go. I have seen enough of them on the range and in the field to decide that I would be very leery of buying one. Those who haven't had problems with their's is larger than in the past but those with problems seem to have the problem persist through repeated "fixes".

This would also apply to the "budget" guns from Spain and Italy as they were built to meet a price rather than quality level. What is worse is parts for any of the guns mentioned so far can be impossible to find as that does not seem to be part of the importer's specification. From past experience with low priced imports, any parts breakage leads one on a treasure hunt with little likelihood of finding the desired part. Having the part made can be a significant cost.

My recommendation is to spend some time looking for a used Browning Citori, Beretta whatever, Japanese made SKB or a Weatherby badged SKB. If patient one can find a used gun in the upper portion of your price range and less if a fixed choke gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The o/u in that price range will not be overly reliable or dependable. And will probly fit like crap
I would add another 3-400 and find a used Citori Crossover or CX

Last edited by passport; 01/08/18.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's like asking: What's the best all around motorcycle - - - for under $2,000. For the price you are willing to pay, you should be looking for a decent used O/U. No one can seriously recommend a new O/U in that price range. For quality at a reasonable price, new shooters should be looking at the entry level models from Browning or Beretta and if you can't afford new, look for them used. Those cheap Turkish O/Us are hit or miss; mostly miss. If you want something good and new, start saving your money.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/08/18.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Woodmaster, Passport and Cooper have told you.

Browning or Beretta for the win and if you have a problem you can get it corrected. The cheap O/U's from Turkey, or anywhere for that matter, are the Ford Edsel's of the shotgun world. Only worse.

Last edited by battue; 01/08/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who was the guy on here that had a NIB 28 bore Citori CX for 1300 bucks?

Or I should say that was the general conses of value as he wanted to sell the gun. That is a very good example of an O/U you can buy right, shoot for a while, and get most of your coin back for an upgrade at some point down the road if you want.

The stuff made in Turkey will loose value faster than rebuilt title on a car.

Or, get an 1100 for your 5-800 and go shoot stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Here's some resources other than gunbroker for used guns,also check classifieds at shotgunworld and check Guns America used and Cabela's gun library. Cabela's will deal as prices are initially a bit high.
http://gun.home.cyberverse.com/

http://www.gunsinternational.com/shotguns-for-sale.cfm?gid=6

http://www.doublegunshop.com/gunrack.htm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you insist on buying a cheap o/u go with CZ.
At least they have excellent customer service.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Z
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Any of you first hand have problems with a CZ? I'd love a Citori, just not sure I'm willing to spend so much on a shotgun that I know I'm going to put through hell.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your going to "put the gun through hell" all the more reason to not get a CZ..

Had one at the club last summer that would not open after 1st barrel was shot, thats all I know about em. That and my buddy use to shoot for them and was not very impressed.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ZKight89
Any of you first hand have problems with a CZ? I'd love a Citori, just not sure I'm willing to spend so much on a shotgun that I know I'm going to put through hell.

If it's going to be put through hell ,I will again urge you to take a good look at the Franchi Affinity camo version. It would be basically weatherproof and however the barrel and action is camo treated holds up really well. This gun is made on the same assembly line as the Benelli M2 and is just as high quality. It is not a Turkish shotgun like the Stoegars. Only difference between it and the Benelli except the price is that the recoil spring is under the fore end and it doesn't have a comfort tech stock.

It is harder to make a 2 barreled gun correctly which is why it costs more to get a quality one. If that's what you really want though,you would be well served to save and not get in a hurry for a good deal. I've seen the Citori sell for $800 with fixed chokes. You can usually find a good Beretta 686 for around $1200 if you look a while.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/08/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a Citori that just hit the classifieds for 850

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...12533116/winchester-express#Post12533116

Last edited by passport; 01/08/18.

Z
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by mudhen
I shot a few rounds of sporting clays with one and I liked it, but the recoil was more than I want for clays or trap these days.

It appeals to me for snipe hunting public land at home. Lots of walk in only areas, dragging a big pump gun along makes for a long day. I can imagine it may be no fun with waterfowl loads though....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,339
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.