-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put 1/2 cup of your favourite kind of flour (I like rice flour personally) add 1 tsp of each of paprika, salt and pepper into a zip lock bag. Add your fish into the bag and make sure it's coated and fry till just done in olive oil. Very tasty if not overcooked! You can make your own tartar sauce with a 1 to 2 ratio of mayonnaise and green relish in that order.

Last edited by gerry35; 01/09/18.

Gerry.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Calvin
Lately I have been cubing my Halibut and wrapping it in bacon. Paleo halibut. Grin. Serve with hot salsa.

If you're running short on bacon but have plenty of bacon grease, put a very light coat of bacon grease on the halibut or cod , put chunks on skewers and grill it. Seasonings optional. (I like the taste of fish!)

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wife said the Doc gave us some yellow eye? also. I'm not familiar with it. Probably good to eat though.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep the cod and yelloweye. Give away the halibut. The most important issue,with fish, Imo is how was the fish treated after it hit the boat. Call me a snob but I won't take fish from anyone without knowing how it was treated.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like it dipped in milk, then dredged in flower and pan fried until crisp on the outside but still moist.

While its cooking I make a curry with smallest cocktail shrimp I can find, using a little fish or chicken stock, paprika, curry powder to taste, garlic to taste, onion powder to taste, coconut milk (just a little), and finish it with a bit of sherry, cooked until it doesn't have an alcohol taste.

I serve the pan fried fish with a spoonful of the curry on top. It's really a pretty easy dish to make.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Wife said the Doc gave us some yellow eye? also. I'm not familiar with it. Probably good to eat though.

Yes, very good. flaky white meat fish, I like it pan-fried with a very light coating of flour or cornmeal, salt, pepper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pak
Keep the cod and yelloweye. Give away the halibut. The most important issue,with fish, Imo is how was the fish treated after it hit the boat. Call me a snob but I won't take fish from anyone without knowing how it was treated.

ROFL, I hear you, sir! We used to kill and bleed our fish right out of the water. I still gave away or traded most of the halibut because we always had plenty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
.... cook till the center just starts to turn opaque.

....seems-like-that's-just-about-the-same-time-the-worms-stop-screaming.

cry

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pak

Completely agree.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kid0917

Yes, very good. flaky white meat fish, I like it pan-fried with a very light coating of flour or cornmeal, salt, pepper.

One of the best sashimi fish we have, too.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by pak

Completely agree.

My grandfather who was born in 1905 and lived on the coast in Maine, had a rule about fish that he lived by his whole life. It had to be "caught on the incoming tide". Of course that made more sense when he was young and guys still fished off of sailboats and rowboats, but it got the point across that he liked his fish FRESH.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well I do not care for salmon, I like Halibut, so the Cod and Yellow Eye should be a treat.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just had panko crusted butt last night, damn good viddles

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

+1. Makes killer ceviche as well.

Jeff

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I love salmon. I can choke down halibut just fine, too.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well I do not care for salmon, I like Halibut, so the Cod and Yellow Eye should be a treat.

Butch, would love to cook salmon for you sometime just to see if you could choke it down...

It is easy to ruin salmon...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akjeff

+1. Makes killer ceviche as well.

Jeff

I just hate to waste it on ceviche...

Ceviche "fixes" just about any fish.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone tried cutting halibut in chunks and dropping it into boiling water? I think it was supposed to resemble lobster in flavor/texture. Seems like maybe I even tried it and wasn't impressed with my results. Too long ago to really remember.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by maggie
Anyone tried cutting halibut in chunks and dropping it into boiling water? I think it was supposed to resemble lobster in flavor/texture. Seems like maybe I even tried it and wasn't impressed with my results. Too long ago to really remember.

Halibut falls way short when making "poor man's lobster." The boiling water is sugared and the fish is soaked in butter. Cod of virtually any kind is better for that job, but lingcod is really good, especially the big chunks around the pectoral fins.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 01/11/18. Reason: Frigging autocorrect!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by maggie

That’s how we cook sturgeon sometimes, or boiled in 7up.not too bad

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (160user, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,788
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.