Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
If we get to Alaska this summer as planned I will hold you to it. Best way for me was on the grill laying on a piece of tinfoil, butter, chopped green onion, and a little garlic salt. Having lived in Anchorage for a few years I had it fixed several ways.
My Father in Law's fish from the Kenai.
[Linked Image]
Fish wasn't big, but it put a big smile on the old man's face.
We built a 20X20 A frame on our property there.

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender

Breaded and deep fried. I could eat my weight of it!

Sprinkle w/ S&P and garlic. Put a smear of mayo and top with bread crumbs and parm. Bake til almost done.

What oil do you like best? I've been using peanut.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Well I do not care for salmon, I like Halibut, so the Cod and Yellow Eye should be a treat.

Butch, Both Ling Cod and "Green Ling" are two other great eating fishes. The Yellow Eye is what folks confuse with Red Snapper as they look a lot alike.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by ironbender

Breaded and deep fried. I could eat my weight of it!

Sprinkle w/ S&P and garlic. Put a smear of mayo and top with bread crumbs and parm. Bake til almost done.

What oil do you like best? I've been using peanut.

We don't deep fry at home a lot. Used to be mainly razor clams when we still had a season.
But to fry, we just use what oil we have. Often just veg oil. Peanut is probably the best though.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by maggie
Anyone tried cutting halibut in chunks and dropping it into boiling water? I think it was supposed to resemble lobster in flavor/texture. Seems like maybe I even tried it and wasn't impressed with my results. Too long ago to really remember.

I have done it many a time , I load the water (6qts) with old bay, when she floats/more buoyant she's done

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, My wife always does things he own way. The halibut was pan fried in olive oil with some spices dusted on it. She fixed chopped asparagus and mushrooms sauteed.
Tasted good, but a little dry, cooked too much maybe?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Well, My wife always does things he own way. The halibut was pan fried in olive oil with some spices dusted on it. She fixed chopped asparagus and mushrooms sauteed.
Tasted good, but a little dry, cooked too much maybe?

Yup, easy to do with halibut... 10 minutes per inch, maximum!

😉

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Anyone tried cutting halibut in chunks and dropping it into boiling water? I think it was supposed to resemble lobster in flavor/texture. Seems like maybe I even tried it and wasn't impressed with my results. Too long ago to really remember.

I have done it many a time , I load the water (6qts) with old bay, when she floats/more buoyant she's done

The recipe I was given was to boil it in a 50/50 mix of water and 7-up, spear the chunks with a fork as soon as they float, and dunk them in melted butter. Delicious.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks all, for the info on the "poor man's lobster", got lots of fish in the freezer, so think I will give it a try.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No thanks.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've got some halibut cheeks a friend brought home from Alaska this fall.
Should the cheeks be cooked differently?
If so what are some preferred methods
Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We used to do the cheeks as we would scallops. To me that was sautee in butter, don't over do it. In fact the taste reminds many of scallops. We got large scallops in Alaska, about soda can diameter or better. I used to quarter those up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dude270
I've got some halibut cheeks a friend brought home from Alaska this fall.
Should the cheeks be cooked differently?
If so what are some preferred methods
Thanks

Scallop Bisque with the cheeks is very good, just put the cheeks in just before serving. Get the bisque HOT (almost boiling) before serving and the cheeks will be just right after a few minutes.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just made dinner crepes last night with a white shrimp sauce (cocktail shrimp in the sauce) and added snow peas, prawns, crawfish, and scallops at the end. A huge pot of the sauce disappeared...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by kid0917
We used to do the cheeks as we would scallops.

Camping/fishing on a holiday weekend, when we have plenty of cheeks to go 'round, I like to wrap them in bacon and cook them over the campfire.

A lot of folks place a premium on the cheeks, but I never got all that excited about them. They don't suck, by any stretch of the imagination, but they aren't something I get giddy about. With their firmer texture, I usually save the checks for étouffée or cioppino, if they make it home.

Rockfish.....now THAT's something to get giddy about. By far my favorite eating fish!

My kids are fish-eating fools, and fish is by far their most requested meal.
Broiling it is pretty easy: I use a light drizzle of olive oil on top, then season with Zatarain's creole seasoning and a very light sprinkle of Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs. Broil on high until the top of the filet just starts to flake apart. This is my favorite way to eat rockfish. It stays moist and just melts in your mouth!

Zatarain's creole seasoning also works well when grilling, and if I'm deep frying fish, I'll mix a good bit of Zatarain's into the breading. "Slap Ya Mama" is another good brand of creole seasoning. I find most of the others to be too salty for my taste buds. Zatarain's and SYM seem to have more zing than salt. I'm not a fan of Tony's for this reason, too salty.

My wife's favorite, fast/easy halibut recipe is to cube the halibut filet (works really well with larger/thicker filets) and drown it in ranch dressing. Then, roll the chunks in crushed Ritz crackers and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 500-degrees for 10min, hot and fast. Another variation (my favorite) is to drown the chunks in melted garlic butter and roll in crushed potato chips.

My dad got me a couple of the Yoshi copper grilling mats. At first glance, I thought it was an "As Seen on TV" gimmick. But, after using it, it does a great job with fish filets. The fish filets grill normally and do not stick to the grill or flake apart. They are a very worthwhile grilling accessory for fish!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
My kids are fish-eating fools, and fish is by far their most requested meal.

That's no surprise with the recipes you gave, one of the reasons I always check these threads. I'm gonna have to try the rolling in ranch dressing trick.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the ideas, Dan, we have some cheeks we were going to do soon and were wondering about what recipe to use. May try the one for rockfish too, so far we haven't hit a way to cook them that's been as good as we'd hoped.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the ideas, Dan, we have some cheeks we were going to do soon and were wondering about what recipe to use. May try the one for rockfish too, so far we haven't hit a way to cook them that's been as good as we'd hoped.

If you are dealing with last year's rockfish you won't at this point. Rockfish is far better than halibut but after 6 months in the freezer it is garbage. Halibut is bulletproof and the only reason it has the reputation.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Rockfish is far better than halibut but after 6 months in the freezer it is garbage.

I wouldn't call it garbage, but I know what you're talking about. It gets a strong fishy taste to it after being in the freezer too long, and "too long" is pretty short, compared to salmon and halibut. Ling cod seems to deteriorate pretty quickly, too.

Our problem is that we are spoiled with fresh fish (and shrimp) all summer, and then we are disappointed when we have to slum the freezer the rest of the year.

Maggie, rockfish (especially the bigger ones) get really chewy when you overcook them. Cook them just long enough so that the top of filet just starts to flake apart under the broiler. That's it, no more!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.