Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Doctor friend brought us some cod and Halibut. We will pick it up on Wednesday. Suggestions on cooking it. Wife's memory is so bad she forgot cooking it when we lived in Anchorage.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Breaded and deep fried. I could eat my weight of it!

Sprinkle w/ S&P and garlic. Put a smear of mayo and top with bread crumbs and parm. Bake til almost done.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
My wife loves deep fried fish, but I rather have it baked or grilled. Try not to eat any deep fry any more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bake it until it smells like cooked fish, then it is ready!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
My wife loves deep fried fish, but I rather have it baked or grilled. Try not to eat any deep fry any more.
By the time we realize we shouldn't eat things like deep fried, the damage is done. And pretty much to late in the game to change the outcome one way or another. IMHO.

We cook with lard quite a bit at home. But we don't actually cook all that much if that makes sesne. Like bacon and eggs in lard.... Sicne we do it 1-2 times a month MAX... I just don't sweat the little things.

Halibut makes good fish tacos is all I know. Maybe not as good as extremely rare tuna.. but damn good.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do not ever overcook either of them... 10 minutes max per inch of thickness whether grilled or baked. Cod will be very flakey and moist if not over done. Both are difficult to grill without a basket or plank.

A piece of slate flooring tile makes a very good plank for cooking on in the grill.

I just cooked cod several times last week and just panfried it in butter after a roll in lightly-seasoned flour.

AMA just came out last year and admitted there was absolutely NO science behind their long time claims for low-fat diets. It was purely a marketing device for dairy.

The 8-10 minute thing is from the Canadian school of fish cooking and is near perfect for getting it right...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks Art, I passed this to the wife. My deal on deep frying is my taste is more toward the baked or pan fried.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender

Sprinkle w/ S&P and garlic. Put a smear of mayo and top with bread crumbs and parm. Bake til almost done.

Brother from another mother. Cooked either way I can eat it everyday.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks Art, I passed this to the wife. My deal on deep frying is my taste is more toward the baked or pan fried.

While I like good beer batter or just good batter, and deep fried, I do love baked flavors or grilled flavors. Use of some dill and things start to get right.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
In an oven pan
ingredients olive oil, red peppers and onions sliced, tomato sauce and boil potatoes and then slice them

SLiced potatoes(on the bottom) olive oil, salt and pepper

Sliced onions(onions on top)olive oil,salt and pepper

Put the Cod on top of those
TOmato sauce on top of that

Red Peppers as the final layer

350 degrees . 30 minutes

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 01/08/18.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, my standard flour seasoning is a little dill weed, salt, and pepper. Another "tip" when flouring your fish is to lay it on a bed of dry flour and sift the flour over the fish to coat it evenly. Do not rub it at all as it will cause the dampened flour to roll up in balls that will be hard when cooked. Just handle it gently and try to keep the coating very thin and uniform.

You can, of course, dust with flour and then flop in egg whites and re-apply flour to make a thicker crust. It will not be like a true batter (or even close) but it will produce a crispier bit of goodness there. I usually do that with fish I am a little concerned about for drying out like very thin pieces from sole and such...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Halibut Olympia is a good thing, also...

350F oven is about right.

I use yogurt, sour cream, and mayonaise interchangeably and often mix equal amounts of any combo of the three.

In a glass baking dish lay down a layer of sliced onion rings.

Cover with the Y-SC-M as above and place the fish on top.

Cover with another layer of onion rings and then the Y-SC-M you like.

Cover with shredded cheese of your choice and cover with foil.

Bake for 10 minutes per inch of the total depth in the pan, uncovering the last 15-20 minutes to melt the cheese and brown it a bit.

Set aside for at least ten minutes after taking out of the oven to let the moisture redistribute.

Some like croutons either under or over the cheese...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had this halibut Olympia in salmon camp in Alaska. They crushed Ritz crackers and spread them on top. It was excellent.

NRA Patron
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I’ve always read the 10 min per inch @ 500*.

Would be good to not overestimate fish thickness.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve always read the 10 min per inch @ 500*.

Would be good to not overestimate fish thickness.

Negative on the temperature... includes poaching time (you should know all about that!) and about every other way... though I did see more than one website that included microwaving under the 10 minute rule!

wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks to all. I will let you know how it turns out.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They are both so good I would do at least one batch as simple as possible and just bake with lemon, pepper, salt and garlic and cook till the center just starts to turn opaque. After this then just about any method that doesn't over cook them will be delicious. Both will smoke well too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Lately I have been cubing my Halibut and wrapping it in bacon. Paleo halibut. Grin. Serve with hot salsa.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always wash/rinse any fish/seafood in a solution of lemon juice/vinegar and cold water. This will neutralize any of the off odors the product may produce. Cod more so than halibut.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Everyone has their personal likes and dislikes. I don't eat anything that is cooked in a deep fat fryer or breaded. To each his own.

I prefer to saute' fish in butter. Just add a little salt, pepper and maybe some lemon or Season all. That's all it takes.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put 1/2 cup of your favourite kind of flour (I like rice flour personally) add 1 tsp of each of paprika, salt and pepper into a zip lock bag. Add your fish into the bag and make sure it's coated and fry till just done in olive oil. Very tasty if not overcooked! You can make your own tartar sauce with a 1 to 2 ratio of mayonnaise and green relish in that order.

Last edited by gerry35; 01/09/18.

Gerry.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Calvin
Lately I have been cubing my Halibut and wrapping it in bacon. Paleo halibut. Grin. Serve with hot salsa.

If you're running short on bacon but have plenty of bacon grease, put a very light coat of bacon grease on the halibut or cod , put chunks on skewers and grill it. Seasonings optional. (I like the taste of fish!)

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wife said the Doc gave us some yellow eye? also. I'm not familiar with it. Probably good to eat though.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep the cod and yelloweye. Give away the halibut. The most important issue,with fish, Imo is how was the fish treated after it hit the boat. Call me a snob but I won't take fish from anyone without knowing how it was treated.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like it dipped in milk, then dredged in flower and pan fried until crisp on the outside but still moist.

While its cooking I make a curry with smallest cocktail shrimp I can find, using a little fish or chicken stock, paprika, curry powder to taste, garlic to taste, onion powder to taste, coconut milk (just a little), and finish it with a bit of sherry, cooked until it doesn't have an alcohol taste.

I serve the pan fried fish with a spoonful of the curry on top. It's really a pretty easy dish to make.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wife said the Doc gave us some yellow eye? also. I'm not familiar with it. Probably good to eat though.

Yes, very good. flaky white meat fish, I like it pan-fried with a very light coating of flour or cornmeal, salt, pepper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pak
Keep the cod and yelloweye. Give away the halibut. The most important issue,with fish, Imo is how was the fish treated after it hit the boat. Call me a snob but I won't take fish from anyone without knowing how it was treated.

ROFL, I hear you, sir! We used to kill and bleed our fish right out of the water. I still gave away or traded most of the halibut because we always had plenty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
.... cook till the center just starts to turn opaque.

....seems-like-that's-just-about-the-same-time-the-worms-stop-screaming.

cry

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pak

Completely agree.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kid0917

Yes, very good. flaky white meat fish, I like it pan-fried with a very light coating of flour or cornmeal, salt, pepper.

One of the best sashimi fish we have, too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by pak

Completely agree.

My grandfather who was born in 1905 and lived on the coast in Maine, had a rule about fish that he lived by his whole life. It had to be "caught on the incoming tide". Of course that made more sense when he was young and guys still fished off of sailboats and rowboats, but it got the point across that he liked his fish FRESH.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well I do not care for salmon, I like Halibut, so the Cod and Yellow Eye should be a treat.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just had panko crusted butt last night, damn good viddles

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

+1. Makes killer ceviche as well.

Jeff

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I love salmon. I can choke down halibut just fine, too.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well I do not care for salmon, I like Halibut, so the Cod and Yellow Eye should be a treat.

Butch, would love to cook salmon for you sometime just to see if you could choke it down...

It is easy to ruin salmon...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akjeff

+1. Makes killer ceviche as well.

Jeff

I just hate to waste it on ceviche...

Ceviche "fixes" just about any fish.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone tried cutting halibut in chunks and dropping it into boiling water? I think it was supposed to resemble lobster in flavor/texture. Seems like maybe I even tried it and wasn't impressed with my results. Too long ago to really remember.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by maggie
Anyone tried cutting halibut in chunks and dropping it into boiling water? I think it was supposed to resemble lobster in flavor/texture. Seems like maybe I even tried it and wasn't impressed with my results. Too long ago to really remember.

Halibut falls way short when making "poor man's lobster." The boiling water is sugared and the fish is soaked in butter. Cod of virtually any kind is better for that job, but lingcod is really good, especially the big chunks around the pectoral fins.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 01/11/18. Reason: Frigging autocorrect!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That’s how we cook sturgeon sometimes, or boiled in 7up.not too bad

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
If we get to Alaska this summer as planned I will hold you to it. Best way for me was on the grill laying on a piece of tinfoil, butter, chopped green onion, and a little garlic salt. Having lived in Anchorage for a few years I had it fixed several ways.
My Father in Law's fish from the Kenai.
[Linked Image]
Fish wasn't big, but it put a big smile on the old man's face.
We built a 20X20 A frame on our property there.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

What oil do you like best? I've been using peanut.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Butch, Both Ling Cod and "Green Ling" are two other great eating fishes. The Yellow Eye is what folks confuse with Red Snapper as they look a lot alike.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole

What oil do you like best? I've been using peanut.

We don't deep fry at home a lot. Used to be mainly razor clams when we still had a season.
But to fry, we just use what oil we have. Often just veg oil. Peanut is probably the best though.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have done it many a time , I load the water (6qts) with old bay, when she floats/more buoyant she's done

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, My wife always does things he own way. The halibut was pan fried in olive oil with some spices dusted on it. She fixed chopped asparagus and mushrooms sauteed.
Tasted good, but a little dry, cooked too much maybe?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, My wife always does things he own way. The halibut was pan fried in olive oil with some spices dusted on it. She fixed chopped asparagus and mushrooms sauteed.
Tasted good, but a little dry, cooked too much maybe?

Yup, easy to do with halibut... 10 minutes per inch, maximum!

😉

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by atvalaska

I have done it many a time , I load the water (6qts) with old bay, when she floats/more buoyant she's done

The recipe I was given was to boil it in a 50/50 mix of water and 7-up, spear the chunks with a fork as soon as they float, and dunk them in melted butter. Delicious.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks all, for the info on the "poor man's lobster", got lots of fish in the freezer, so think I will give it a try.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No thanks.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've got some halibut cheeks a friend brought home from Alaska this fall.
Should the cheeks be cooked differently?
If so what are some preferred methods
Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We used to do the cheeks as we would scallops. To me that was sautee in butter, don't over do it. In fact the taste reminds many of scallops. We got large scallops in Alaska, about soda can diameter or better. I used to quarter those up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dude270
I've got some halibut cheeks a friend brought home from Alaska this fall.
Should the cheeks be cooked differently?
If so what are some preferred methods
Thanks

Scallop Bisque with the cheeks is very good, just put the cheeks in just before serving. Get the bisque HOT (almost boiling) before serving and the cheeks will be just right after a few minutes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just made dinner crepes last night with a white shrimp sauce (cocktail shrimp in the sauce) and added snow peas, prawns, crawfish, and scallops at the end. A huge pot of the sauce disappeared...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We used to do the cheeks as we would scallops.

Camping/fishing on a holiday weekend, when we have plenty of cheeks to go 'round, I like to wrap them in bacon and cook them over the campfire.

A lot of folks place a premium on the cheeks, but I never got all that excited about them. They don't suck, by any stretch of the imagination, but they aren't something I get giddy about. With their firmer texture, I usually save the checks for étouffée or cioppino, if they make it home.

Rockfish.....now THAT's something to get giddy about. By far my favorite eating fish!

My kids are fish-eating fools, and fish is by far their most requested meal.
Broiling it is pretty easy: I use a light drizzle of olive oil on top, then season with Zatarain's creole seasoning and a very light sprinkle of Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs. Broil on high until the top of the filet just starts to flake apart. This is my favorite way to eat rockfish. It stays moist and just melts in your mouth!

Zatarain's creole seasoning also works well when grilling, and if I'm deep frying fish, I'll mix a good bit of Zatarain's into the breading. "Slap Ya Mama" is another good brand of creole seasoning. I find most of the others to be too salty for my taste buds. Zatarain's and SYM seem to have more zing than salt. I'm not a fan of Tony's for this reason, too salty.

My wife's favorite, fast/easy halibut recipe is to cube the halibut filet (works really well with larger/thicker filets) and drown it in ranch dressing. Then, roll the chunks in crushed Ritz crackers and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 500-degrees for 10min, hot and fast. Another variation (my favorite) is to drown the chunks in melted garlic butter and roll in crushed potato chips.

My dad got me a couple of the Yoshi copper grilling mats. At first glance, I thought it was an "As Seen on TV" gimmick. But, after using it, it does a great job with fish filets. The fish filets grill normally and do not stick to the grill or flake apart. They are a very worthwhile grilling accessory for fish!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
My kids are fish-eating fools, and fish is by far their most requested meal.

That's no surprise with the recipes you gave, one of the reasons I always check these threads. I'm gonna have to try the rolling in ranch dressing trick.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the ideas, Dan, we have some cheeks we were going to do soon and were wondering about what recipe to use. May try the one for rockfish too, so far we haven't hit a way to cook them that's been as good as we'd hoped.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the ideas, Dan, we have some cheeks we were going to do soon and were wondering about what recipe to use. May try the one for rockfish too, so far we haven't hit a way to cook them that's been as good as we'd hoped.

If you are dealing with last year's rockfish you won't at this point. Rockfish is far better than halibut but after 6 months in the freezer it is garbage. Halibut is bulletproof and the only reason it has the reputation.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Rockfish is far better than halibut but after 6 months in the freezer it is garbage.

I wouldn't call it garbage, but I know what you're talking about. It gets a strong fishy taste to it after being in the freezer too long, and "too long" is pretty short, compared to salmon and halibut. Ling cod seems to deteriorate pretty quickly, too.

Our problem is that we are spoiled with fresh fish (and shrimp) all summer, and then we are disappointed when we have to slum the freezer the rest of the year.

Maggie, rockfish (especially the bigger ones) get really chewy when you overcook them. Cook them just long enough so that the top of filet just starts to flake apart under the broiler. That's it, no more!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What we're eating now was caught late in Sept., think we have 1 piece each left of ling and rockfish., lots of salmon and halibut left. We have been eating the ling and halibut per everyone's suggestion to use them first. Will try the rockfish tomorrow with your recipe Dan, thanks again. The halibut and salmon don't seem to be any problem, they always come out good, mostly baking or grilling them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is making me salvate and missing the PNW. Loved catching Rockfish and eating them on the beach with oysters, this in Puget Sound. Not to mention the bounty of crabs and other shellfish.

I ate Salmon almost daily for five months at a stretch when I was guiding in Alaska and I still like it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What we're eating now was caught late in Sept., think we have 1 piece each left of ling and rockfish., lots of salmon and halibut left. We have been eating the ling and halibut per everyone's suggestion to use them first. Will try the rockfish tomorrow with your recipe Dan, thanks again. The halibut and salmon don't seem to be any problem, they always come out good, mostly baking or grilling them.

Halibut is nearly bulletproof in the freezer... save it for last... lingcod and rockfish are delicate and need to be eaten first. Brine lingcod and smoke it for a couple hours before canning and it will keep and be spectacular. Plain canning does not work well because it is too wet.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I’m a barbarian. Garlic salt, pepper, self caught, processed. Nuke it. I like to taste the fish, more than the seasonings, sauces, marinades.

Fancy calls for butter, maybe some onion, mesquite seasoning, and/or baking. Can’t recall the last time I ever fried fish, tho it was battered halibut nuggets.

I almost never order fish in a restaurant. They ruin it, tho Don Ho’s? mahi-mahi (if I got that right) got a three nights running. After several other places around Hawaii I gave up on that fish too. Never going back to Oahu anyway.

Ok - maybe not the cooks fault - but the freshness of fish. Having worked both set net and drift boat, I ain’t never buying salmon!
U

Last edited by las; 01/20/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I am having Halibut for supper tonight. I am going to season it with Paul Prudhomes Seafood Magic. dip it in beaten egg, roll in panko crumbs and saute it in a little coconut oil 3 minutes per side

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I am having Halibut for supper tonight. I am going to season it with Paul Prudhomes Seafood Magic. dip it in beaten egg, roll in panko crumbs and saute it in a little coconut oil 3 minutes per side

I do that a lot. It’s good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I’m a barbarian. Garlic salt, pepper, self caught, processed. Nuke it. I like to taste the fish, more than the seasonings, sauces, marinades.

Fancy calls for butter, maybe some onion, mesquite seasoning, and/or baking. Can’t recall the last time I ever fried fish, tho it was battered halibut nuggets.

I almost never order fish in a restaurant. They ruin it, tho Don Ho’s? mahi-mahi (if I got that right) got a three nights running. After several other places around Hawaii I gave up on that fish too. Never going back to Oahu anyway.

Ok - maybe not the cooks fault - but the freshness of fish. Having worked both set net and drift boat, I ain’t never buying salmon!
U

With fresh fish, simple is best.

Taco's aren't a bad use for halibut and rockfish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Do not ever overcook either of them... 10 minutes max per inch of thickness whether grilled or baked. Cod will be very flakey and moist if not over done. Both are difficult to grill without a basket or plank.

A piece of slate flooring tile makes a very good plank for cooking on in the grill.

I just cooked cod several times last week and just panfried it in butter after a roll in lightly-seasoned flour.

AMA just came out last year and admitted there was absolutely NO science behind their long time claims for low-fat diets. It was purely a marketing device for dairy.

The 8-10 minute thing is from the Canadian school of fish cooking and is near perfect for getting it right...

I start grilling halibut skin side up for 3 - 4 minutes, flip and when the skin starts to stick to grill the filet will easily lift off and will be cooked to perfection. (another 4 -5 minutes depending on thickness)

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend in Hoonah. Runs a charted business. Last time I was there, his wife slathered mayonnaise on the top of it, then dropped a bunch of bread crumbs on top and baked it. Was might tasty.

Last edited by Owl; 03/16/18.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Properly processed halibut and cod from Alaska has very little fishy odor compared to warmer water fresh water fish. All fish continues to cook when removed from the heat source so keep that in mind. I like halibut, but prefer ling cod, other cod, yellow eye and other rock fish over halibut any day. I find halibut best with a beer, Panko or Tempura batter. Co and rock fish is also good that way, but eats very well when baked with salt, pepper, fresh dill, fresh lemon juice and butter.

Good fish should not be fishy tasting and when I used to have our own salt water boats I always bleed the fish and filleted as quickly a possible and never let the fillets touch fish slime. The few charters I have been on never took the extra care I did and one time after watching a deck hand cleaning fish I told the skipper I wanted to clean my own fish at home.

I took a package of rock fish out for tomorrows dinner and it will get baked and ate with my wife's wonderful tarter sauce! Alaska is blessed with an abundance of wonderful sea food. The moose and caribou are good too!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,861 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.