Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Doctor friend brought us some cod and Halibut. We will pick it up on Wednesday. Suggestions on cooking it. Wife's memory is so bad she forgot cooking it when we lived in Anchorage.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Breaded and deep fried. I could eat my weight of it!

Sprinkle w/ S&P and garlic. Put a smear of mayo and top with bread crumbs and parm. Bake til almost done.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
My wife loves deep fried fish, but I rather have it baked or grilled. Try not to eat any deep fry any more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bake it until it smells like cooked fish, then it is ready!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
My wife loves deep fried fish, but I rather have it baked or grilled. Try not to eat any deep fry any more.
By the time we realize we shouldn't eat things like deep fried, the damage is done. And pretty much to late in the game to change the outcome one way or another. IMHO.

We cook with lard quite a bit at home. But we don't actually cook all that much if that makes sesne. Like bacon and eggs in lard.... Sicne we do it 1-2 times a month MAX... I just don't sweat the little things.

Halibut makes good fish tacos is all I know. Maybe not as good as extremely rare tuna.. but damn good.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do not ever overcook either of them... 10 minutes max per inch of thickness whether grilled or baked. Cod will be very flakey and moist if not over done. Both are difficult to grill without a basket or plank.

A piece of slate flooring tile makes a very good plank for cooking on in the grill.

I just cooked cod several times last week and just panfried it in butter after a roll in lightly-seasoned flour.

AMA just came out last year and admitted there was absolutely NO science behind their long time claims for low-fat diets. It was purely a marketing device for dairy.

The 8-10 minute thing is from the Canadian school of fish cooking and is near perfect for getting it right...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks Art, I passed this to the wife. My deal on deep frying is my taste is more toward the baked or pan fried.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender

Breaded and deep fried. I could eat my weight of it!

Sprinkle w/ S&P and garlic. Put a smear of mayo and top with bread crumbs and parm. Bake til almost done.

Brother from another mother. Cooked either way I can eat it everyday.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Thanks Art, I passed this to the wife. My deal on deep frying is my taste is more toward the baked or pan fried.

While I like good beer batter or just good batter, and deep fried, I do love baked flavors or grilled flavors. Use of some dill and things start to get right.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
In an oven pan
ingredients olive oil, red peppers and onions sliced, tomato sauce and boil potatoes and then slice them

SLiced potatoes(on the bottom) olive oil, salt and pepper

Sliced onions(onions on top)olive oil,salt and pepper

Put the Cod on top of those
TOmato sauce on top of that

Red Peppers as the final layer

350 degrees . 30 minutes

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 01/08/18.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, my standard flour seasoning is a little dill weed, salt, and pepper. Another "tip" when flouring your fish is to lay it on a bed of dry flour and sift the flour over the fish to coat it evenly. Do not rub it at all as it will cause the dampened flour to roll up in balls that will be hard when cooked. Just handle it gently and try to keep the coating very thin and uniform.

You can, of course, dust with flour and then flop in egg whites and re-apply flour to make a thicker crust. It will not be like a true batter (or even close) but it will produce a crispier bit of goodness there. I usually do that with fish I am a little concerned about for drying out like very thin pieces from sole and such...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Halibut Olympia is a good thing, also...

350F oven is about right.

I use yogurt, sour cream, and mayonaise interchangeably and often mix equal amounts of any combo of the three.

In a glass baking dish lay down a layer of sliced onion rings.

Cover with the Y-SC-M as above and place the fish on top.

Cover with another layer of onion rings and then the Y-SC-M you like.

Cover with shredded cheese of your choice and cover with foil.

Bake for 10 minutes per inch of the total depth in the pan, uncovering the last 15-20 minutes to melt the cheese and brown it a bit.

Set aside for at least ten minutes after taking out of the oven to let the moisture redistribute.

Some like croutons either under or over the cheese...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had this halibut Olympia in salmon camp in Alaska. They crushed Ritz crackers and spread them on top. It was excellent.

NRA Patron
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I’ve always read the 10 min per inch @ 500*.

Would be good to not overestimate fish thickness.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
I’ve always read the 10 min per inch @ 500*.

Would be good to not overestimate fish thickness.

Negative on the temperature... includes poaching time (you should know all about that!) and about every other way... though I did see more than one website that included microwaving under the 10 minute rule!

wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks to all. I will let you know how it turns out.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They are both so good I would do at least one batch as simple as possible and just bake with lemon, pepper, salt and garlic and cook till the center just starts to turn opaque. After this then just about any method that doesn't over cook them will be delicious. Both will smoke well too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Lately I have been cubing my Halibut and wrapping it in bacon. Paleo halibut. Grin. Serve with hot salsa.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always wash/rinse any fish/seafood in a solution of lemon juice/vinegar and cold water. This will neutralize any of the off odors the product may produce. Cod more so than halibut.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Everyone has their personal likes and dislikes. I don't eat anything that is cooked in a deep fat fryer or breaded. To each his own.

I prefer to saute' fish in butter. Just add a little salt, pepper and maybe some lemon or Season all. That's all it takes.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,586
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.