Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by 41rem
North61, just enjoyed your youtube vids, good stuff.

How would you rate the recoil between the .405 & the .348?

405 is quite a bit more. Neither is ferocious by today's standards but the 405 can get your attention. The 348 has both less momentum and better stock design.

GB1

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by North61
Originally Posted by g5m
Hey, North61, do you know this guy??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmNG2npnBrM

Yes I have heard tell of him. A bit long winded isn't he?

Thanks to a couple of American Friends I have some more bullets to test.. the great 250 grain Silvertip and the Old 180 SpeerFN's
I'll also retest my old stash with three shots eat at high and low to give myself a bit more statistical reliability. Going to have to collect a bunch of newspaper!

Video of new bullets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xho8xz7xB_Y&t=3s

Just to let you know that I've certainly enjoyed and appreciated your youtube videos. Beautiful family you have!

Retired cat herder.

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by North61
Originally Posted by g5m
Hey, North61, do you know this guy??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmNG2npnBrM

Yes I have heard tell of him. A bit long winded isn't he?

Thanks to a couple of American Friends I have some more bullets to test.. the great 250 grain Silvertip and the Old 180 SpeerFN's
I'll also retest my old stash with three shots eat at high and low to give myself a bit more statistical reliability. Going to have to collect a bunch of newspaper!

Video of new bullets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xho8xz7xB_Y&t=3s

Just to let you know that I've certainly enjoyed and appreciated your youtube videos. Beautiful family you have!

Ahwww....thanks Mate!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's some really good stuff there, Mr North 61.

Not sure what you do for a living, but you may have missed your calling!

Oh well, you may not get paid for this, but you're good at it!

I hope to turn a Woodleigh or Hawk loose on a Moose one day, from either my 45-70 or my 450-400 NE.

Tim

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good follow-up work, North.

Have you seen or been exposed to North Fork 230 gr bonded bullets? They are made in Oregon, and are
a unique design. The 230 gr weight is almost perfect for the 348 WCF chambering.
These and Alaska Bullet works offer good premium bullets at fair prices-for what you get.

Keep up the good work. Fuller.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
IC B2

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Tarbe
That's some really good stuff there, Mr North 61.

Not sure what you do for a living, but you may have missed your calling!

Oh well, you may not get paid for this, but you're good at it!

I hope to turn a Woodleigh or Hawk loose on a Moose one day, from either my 45-70 or my 450-400 NE.

Tim

Thanks Mate. I make coffee money on my youtube channel. Soon to retire from the public service so I can canoe, hunt and look for gold full time! Going to love that!

Last edited by North61; 12/19/17.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Living the dream North61!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a later response to your excellent research and detailed scientific approach. Many thanks.

I have use 200 gr Silvertips,Barnes 250s, Hornady 200FPs, Alaska Bullet Works 250 Bonded Core, and custom weights in the Hawk Bullet from 190-to 300 gr.
Yes-Andy Hill at Hawk made up a 4-box run of 225 GR bullets and others up to 300 gr-the 300gr for .348 Ackley Improved.
I sometimes think the ideal bullet weight for all-around use may be around 220-230 grs. It has enough mass and can be pushed to around 2375-2400 FPS in most
originally chambered 348WCF rifles. The bullet construction, that being said-is probably more important than bullet weight once
weight goes above a nominal 200 grains.

I have some boxes of original 250 gr bullets in "Standing Bear" boxes but I am reluctant to use those because of rarity and value. John Kronfeld and
Harold Johnson tested them- and Johnson found their performance on large bears as poor to unacceptable.
I am intrigued by the good luck you had with the Hornady FP 200 gr bullet. I tend to think it out performs the 200 gr Silvertip and Remington older 200
gr corelokt bullet.

The only bullet that I want to try out-is the 230 gr North Fork bullet, which the founder of North Fork wanted unchanged due to its performance as a bonded core 230 gr. The Woodleighs and the Alaska Bullet Works bullets are both 250 gr bonded core bullets-with close to identical performance.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
When spring comes to northwest Wyoming, I'll test the Winchester 200 power point into gallon milk jugs. I can add something in front of the jugs if you'd like. The Hornady 200 grain flat did go through six jugs and stayed in the seventh. Nicely expanded and I don't recall the weight. Still have the fluff in the loading room

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a later response to your excellent research and detailed scientific approach. Many thanks.

I have use 200 gr Silvertips,Barnes 250s, Hornady 200FPs, Alaska Bullet Works 250 Bonded Core, and custom weights in the Hawk Bullet from 190-to 300 gr.
Yes-Andy Hill at Hawk made up a 4-box run of 225 GR bullets and others up to 300 gr-the 300gr for .348 Ackley Improved.
I sometimes think the ideal bullet weight for all-around use may be around 220-230 grs. It has enough mass and can be pushed to around 2375-2400 FPS in most
originally chambered 348WCF rifles. The bullet construction, that being said-is probably more important than bullet weight once
weight goes above a nominal 200 grains.

I have some boxes of original 250 gr bullets in "Standing Bear" boxes but I am reluctant to use those because of rarity and value. John Kronfeld and
Harold Johnson tested them- and Johnson found their performance on large bears as poor to unacceptable.
I am intrigued by the good luck you had with the Hornady FP 200 gr bullet. I tend to think it out performs the 200 gr Silvertip and Remington older 200
gr corelokt bullet.

The only bullet that I want to try out-is the 230 gr North Fork bullet, which the founder of North Fork wanted unchanged due to its performance as a bonded core 230 gr. The Woodleighs and the Alaska Bullet Works bullets are both 250 gr bonded core bullets-with close to identical performance.

IC B3

N
North61 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I like the look of that North Fork. I also like an intermediate bullet weight. I find that different bullet weights print to a very different point of impact. I like the performance of 200 Flex-Tips for caribou and I don't want to re-sight all the time. The 220 grain Barnes Original FP doesnt shoot that far out of synch with the 200 grainers. It does however core separate way too easily. Maybe the 230 grain bullet would be worth giving a try. Until then the 200 Swift is my heavy game bullet, the 200 Hornady FP a good mid size and range choice and the 200 Flextip for caribou. Pretty versatile unit.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, I might need to give some of the Northforks a shot. They are expanding SOBs!

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guys, given the expected range one would use the 348 (under 200 yards?) would it not make sense to use the 250 Woodleighs over the 200gr offerings on Moose or bison? North, I know you dropped a moose with the 200 Hornadys, but just wondering. My 71 shoots them ALL well. I'm also a North Fork user in various other calibers, so when you guys come up with a load, please share!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
just because

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
su Thanks for bringing this back to light,,, I'm a new 348 owner and enjoy the heck out of it!!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Mirkoru made Winchester Mod. 71 Deluxe Ackley Improved and a bunch of 250 grain bonded Kodiak Bullets from Alaska Bullet Works. It is the prettiest rifle I own with good wood and checkering and dark blue finish. I do wish the lever was a tad bigger, always something.

I like sitting in the big chair with it and watching hunting and Western shootem up's. I may be old, but I refuse to grow up! Hoping to shoot something with it someday.

Starline brass and H4350 powder and WLR primers and fear no beast!

Long time Alaskan bear guide Phil Shoemaker thinks highly of the Kodiak bullets, that's about as good a recommendation as a bullet can get.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago I picked up some of the old 200 Barnes X FN. They expand into 6 petals and shoot well out of rifle. I should've picked up some of the 220s as well. I had shot them with the 200 Hornady's into some jugs, not much of a test I know, but I'm sure the Barnes will penetrate quite well:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
So Alaska Bullet Works is closed permanently?

Woodleigh bullet factory had a fire. Tough to find bullets for someone new to the 348.

Anyone tried the Hammer Bullets 157grain? Seems awful light for

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by M1Garand
Years ago I picked up some of the old 200 Barnes X FN. They expand into 6 petals and shoot well out of rifle. I should've picked up some of the 220s as well. I had shot them with the 200 Hornady's into some jugs, not much of a test I know, but I'm sure the Barnes will penetrate quite well:

Cool thread. I wish my eye sight was better in my left eye. I would go and buy the beautiful all original long tang deluxe, with bolt peep, I saw the other day. Those Hornady bullets look like they work great. I know where a bunch of those are too.

They were $37/box and at a different store..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by M1Garand

Very nice! I need to warm up my 348 a little. Been awhile.

Semper Fi
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

610 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,679
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.