Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
So Ive recently gotten back into sporting clays and am planning some forays north this fall for grouse and pheasant. Ive used an 870 since I was 12, and am wanting to try a New York instead of a Ribeye. I thought I wanted a SxS but the nice ones are out of my budget, shot some O/U’s while shooting sportings clays but not sure they speak to me. Really leaning towards an auto but know next to nothing about them. So if you had to pick one auto to do everything from sporting clays to grouse tangles, to stubble pheasants... what would you choose. I also want something semi-easy to take down and clean, and not picky about shell choice. Lets hear it.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
BP-B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Why limit yourself to just one gun?

Whatever fits you best. It'd be hard to beat a Benelli SBE, because they're damn near indestructable and run damn near anything. Me personally....I like a 1100 in 20ga.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, because I have 3 others shotguns, but they are all 870’s in 12 Gauge, most with sentimental value.

Heard lots of good about the SBE, just hard to stomach the lines...wish they made something a bit more traditional. I plan on hitting a few shops to feelem’ out before deciding on gauge and length.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I run a 30 inch semi custom 11-87 for an all-a-rounder. Custom stock, bit of barrel work and chokes made to bore. I have killed about everything with feathers with it as well as shot tens of thousands of rounds at skeet, trap, sporting clay's and 5 stand.

For me its the perfect gun, but any gun that fits you well, REAL well, will be perfect for you. Gas autos are usually easy for most people to shoot well and IMO are better suited for field work over SxS or O/U. Plus the Remington autos can be stripped down to nothing with ease.

Plus you can switch from a 30 inch for clay targets to a 26 inch for hunting, another advantage over other guns.

Like I said this works for me, I have owned everything from K and P guns on down and always kept coming back to Remington autos.

Like you I have been on the hunt for the "prefect" gun, seems I had it all along...

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My all around choice would be a Beretta 390/391, Browning Gold, or other quality gas operated semi-automatic with 28" barrel as it would have the heft for a full course of sporting clays or heavy pheasant loads while being light enough for hiking all day after grouse. If grouse were the main course and the others only occasional then I might settle for something light like a Franchi 48 or Benelli Montefeltro and suffer through pheasant loads and sporting clays.

I got by with the former for years but have come to appreciate having guns better suited to the task at hand. One can get by pretty well with a jack of all trades but the rest of the saying is true too- it is a master of none.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you like Remmington get a V3.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
My all around choice would be a Beretta 390/391, Browning Gold, or other quality gas operated semi-automatic with 28" barrel as it would have the heft for a full course of sporting clays or heavy pheasant loads while being light enough for hiking all day after grouse. If grouse were the main course and the others only occasional then I might settle for something light like a Franchi 48 or Benelli Montefeltro and suffer through pheasant loads and sporting clays.

I got by with the former for years but have come to appreciate having guns better suited to the task at hand. One can get by pretty well with a jack of all trades but the rest of the saying is true too- it is a master of none.

If I could only keep one shotgun it would probably be my Beretta 391.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TomM1
I also want something semi-easy to take down and clean, and not picky about shell choice. Lets hear it.

Benelli Montefeltro !!
They have a nice slim forearm like an O/U compared to the gas guns.

https://www.benelliusa.com/montefeltro-shotgun

Last edited by 35; 01/09/18.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My one and only shotgun is a Benelli super black eagle 3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

x2

IC B3

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Handled many shotguns today at a box store. For auto's really liked the Montefeltro and Franchi Affinity, both 12's and 28". The Remmy V3 wasnt bad either, but like wood on an upland gun. Also handled some O/U and really liked The Franchi Instinct L, I could see one of these in a 20ga 28" being really nice.

Thanks for all the suggestions, lots to chew on.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

If I could only keep one shotgun it would probably be my Beretta 391.

That or the 391 would probably be my choice too if limited to a single shotgun. And that is a hard thing to say from someone who has to pay full price for a Beretta. I really like my Browning Gold too but the Berettas have given me a lot of hard use without a significant hiccup. With a 28" barrel the stock 390 will even cycle Winchester Featherlites which are a little less than 7/8 oz of shot at under 1000 fps. With the heavy spring from Cole's the lightweight load will cycle through a 22" slug barrel. The 391 will cycle the Featherlites with a 26" or longer barrel as it comes from the factory.

The only thing I truly dislike regarding the Montefeltro (and original A-5) is the need to make sure the magazine nut is tight to the fore stock otherwise you run the risk of splitting the stock. I only have A-5s to worry about but I have found the stock on them and the Montefeltro can catch on the side of the receiver no fool you into believing the nut is tight. Recoil then shifts the fore end into the proper position but with some slop. T some point the stock will crack and that can be a tough fix.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tom264

One and only shotgun? What does that mean?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
17 Shotguns and counting. Still looking for the " Perfect" one !

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by passport
Originally Posted by Tom264

One and only shotgun? What does that mean?

Yeah.
That’s all I personally have.
My son has a left hand Tristar semi auto 12 and my daughter a Tristar semiauto 20 gauge.
Figured start them out on some cheap ones before they move up.

So technically I have 3 in the safe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beretta or Benelli should have something to suit you. Both are excellent shotguns. I've owned both and reluctantly let my Beretta go, but it's ok because I have two Benelli guns still in the rack. For pure old time class in a semi auto I think it's hard to beat an original Belgian Browning Auto Five. I'm hanging onto a pair of them also.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot SxS's and do not feel bad about it.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TomM1
Handled many shotguns today at a box store. For auto's really liked the Montefeltro and Franchi Affinity, both 12's and 28". The Remmy V3 wasnt bad either, but like wood on an upland gun. Also handled some O/U and really liked The Franchi Instinct L, I could see one of these in a 20ga 28" being really nice.

Thanks for all the suggestions, lots to chew on.

I have an Affinity and it's an excellent shotgun and will treat you right. If you liked the Instinct L, don't pick up an SL...it will cost you some more Benjamins. smile

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I did handle the SL it was way too light, asked if there was a steel version...then got the L in my hands which is just right IMO.

I think I like the Affinity more than the Montefeltro due to the inertia system being accessible in the forearm vs the buttstock. Seems easier to maintain.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Another vote for a Beretta 390 or 391. Not sure how you improve on one of those. Also, take a look at a Winchester SX3 or Browning Silver or Gold, as it may fit you better. I’m no Remington guy, but give the V3 a look too. It really appears that Remington has done a great job on this shotgun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.