24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
buddy bought a custom built 6ppc at a gunshow. built by james h hare in florida I think.

says HARE SUPER MATCH 6PPC NECK 262

I have not heard of this guy before,has anyone here.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by srwshooter; 01/08/18.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Even though I've shot short range BR for about 30 years, I've never heard of him. That means nothing and it appears to be a nice rifle. It is an old style BR rifle.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by srwshooter
buddy bought a custom built 6ppc at a gunshow. built by james h hare in florida I think.

says HARE SUPER MATCH 6PPC NECK 262

I have not heard of this guy before,has anyone here.

[Linked Image]

Is it a sleeved Remington receiver?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
no its all custom built,not Remington

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
From a FFL search
H & H Custom Rifle
Licensee Name: Hare, James H
5700 B Palm Dr
Fort Pierce, FL 34982
Phone: 772-465-8782

Swifty
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
That's a right bolt, left port Stolle action. (I think.) The gun looks well done. Conventional wisdom on bench guns is, if you want to shoot it in competition, you will probably need a new barrel. Not a big deal, a beginner will take a while before he can load for it and shoot it well enough to know that a new barrel will make it even more accurate. Benchrest reloading and shooting is a real art that takes a while.

Last edited by Dick_Wright; 01/14/18.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dick_Wright
That's a right bolt, left port Stolle action. (I think.) The gun looks well done. Conventional wisdom on bench guns is, if you want to shoot it in competition, you will probably need a new barrel. Not a big deal, a beginner will take a while before he can load for it and shoot it well enough to know that a new barrel will make it even more accurate. Benchrest reloading and shooting is a real art that takes a while.

Dick, It appears to have a Weaver type scope rail. Yes it is a right bolt, left port.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
From a FFL search
H & H Custom Rifle
Licensee Name: Hare, James H
5700 B Palm Dr
Fort Pierce, FL 34982
Phone: 772-465-8782

I found this to,no answer at that number. maybe he died or just closed up.i can not find any other guns that he built.maybe he only built one. serial number on this one is 01

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can't even figure out how to get the action out of the stock. trigger guard comes off with 2 screws,there are no screws in the bottom of the stock just to pins going all the way thru near the bolt. I guess I must drive those out to take it apart. looking in the stock under the trigger guard the whole action looks to be bedded to the the stock so I don't think it will come apart. under the bolt it looks like the end of a screw that comes from the bottom like on most rifles but there is no way to get to the head of that screw. the screw on the back of the receiver like on a Remington has a allen screw on top that I can remove. I guess its bedded to the end of the barrel channel. I find it hard to belive that those to pens are holding such a heavy action and barrel in with nothing on the front.

Last edited by srwshooter; 01/17/18.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
stop!

go no further until you talk to butch or a smith. the action is glued in. the pins are for the trigger.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
thanks for the help guys. this is one reason I love this site. someone hear knows about anything you've got.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
As Ray knows, and Dick also, the vast majority of them have their receivers glued in to the stock. The two pin holes were to hold the trigger as Remington type triggers. The later BR rifles (receivers) had adjustable trigger carriers that were accessed from under the trigger guard. Probably built in the very early part of 1990 or before.
Does not mean that it is inferior in any way.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'll go along with Dick, it looks like an early Stolle Panda. I have a friend that has one and I've put many barrels on it. No trigger hanger like today's actions. The rings look like the Bushnell Lightweights. There appears to be lettering on the action below the scope rail. A gunsmith who put the rifle together would not mark on the action.

A
atm Offline
A
The scope rings are Bushnell # 76-3102. Very light weight & easy to lap. Lots of br shooters used them. The ones on the rifle are bead blasted to match the action, bbl & scope. You can also gain some extra windage by swapping the the slotted sides.

J
J
Hi, James Hare is my grandpa. He is still at the location listed. His current phone number is ‭(772) 801-5256‬. He is currently in very bad health and no longer able to work in his gunshop but is a fountain of knowledge with over 50 years of custom firearm experiences. It is very possible he won’t remember this rifle but he may, and if he doesn’t can still give you a handful of knowledge about rifles of the same variant he has customized. He can’t talk on the phone for very long periods of time due to his illnesses, but I’m sure he would love to ramble as long as he could. -Josh Hare

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The rings are a Jap Bushnell, best available at the time, and I still use them on one rifle, metric wrench of course.

I would not take the trigger off until you try it for function. Flush with lighter fluid from the top, working the sear up and down with your finger if the sear is stuck .

I bet the rifle will be a real shooter as it is.

I would not be surprised if the stock was used on a 40X, then the gunsmith fit the panda in the stock at a later time. I have never seen a Panda that did not have a trigger hanger, and I have a very early panda. Remove the trigger guard and look at the bottom of the action to see if there is a trigger hanger.

You may have a wild cat 6ppc.

Best wishes!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by keith
The rings are a Jap Bushnell, best available at the time, and I still use them on one rifle, metric wrench of course.

I would not take the trigger off until you try it for function. Flush with lighter fluid from the top, working the sear up and down with your finger if the sear is stuck .

I bet the rifle will be a real shooter as it is.

I would not be surprised if the stock was used on a 40X, then the gunsmith fit the panda in the stock at a later time. I have never seen a Panda that did not have a trigger hanger, and I have a very early panda. Remove the trigger guard and look at the bottom of the action to see if there is a trigger hanger.

You may have a wild cat 6ppc.

Best wishes!

Keith, I used to have an early Stolle that I gave to my best friend. It did not have a trigger hanger.

W
W
Originally Posted by srwshooter
says HARE SUPER MATCH 6PPC NECK 262. I have not heard of this guy before,has anyone here.

[Linked Image from s20.postimg.org]

I knew James, and I had him build a 6mm PPC for me. It is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned or had the pleasure of shooting. I'm not a competitive shooter by any stretch of the imagination, but the first five shots I made with this rifle over the hood of James' Toyota pick-up made one tiny very slightly ragged hole.

The rifle was built as a light weight sporter using an XP100 action, a .262 necked chamber, a 'gain twist' barrel, an incredibly light Timney trigger, a composite stock he made, weighing about 5 lbs, and topped with a fixed 12X Leupold scope. I still have a few of the initial loaded rounds he sold me. They are loaded with an obsolete 62.5gr Watson bullet.

I don't think you will find too many people who know him as he specialized in very accurate rifles selling quite a few to top competitive PPC shooters. He sold most of his rifles to law enforcement snipers and the CIA. He showed me some special brass he had with CIA head-stamps when he had an order in hand for 6 rifles in .308.

BTW, how does yor PPC shoot~? Do you still have it~?

W
W
Hello Josh~! I knew your grand-pop personally. He built the best rifle I've ever known~!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.