Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I am going to mount a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X42 on my Kimber Montana. I've been debating with myself whether I should use Talley Lightweights or go with a Picatinny rail and rings. The whole purpose of the NF is to eliminate any possible scope issues ,so I'm leaning toward a good rail and ring set up. How it looks is way down on the list but I don't mind cutting down on unnecessary weight or bulk if I'm not sacrificing dependability. I've not used a lot of rail and rings before so I would appreciate some suggestions of what would be best.

Right now I'm thinking of ordering either the Nightforce or Talley picatinny rail and some Nightforce light weight rings. I would go with the Burris extreme tactical signature rings but I was concerned that the extra width might limit my mounting adjustment on the short action.

Right now I use Talley lightweights with a 1" scope in mediums because the height of the mediums align with my eye better than the lows. I'm willing to consider any other ring options though if there is something better ,or that will fit the set up better.

Yes,I know it will add considerable weight to the Montana but I'm tired of wondering if I'm having scope problems or something else. I've been chasing my tail with this rifle,sometimes shooting one hole groups and sometimes 3" groups,and sometimes one hole groups to different POI without a scope adjustment or ammo change on the same day. Formidilosus has been generous enough to loan me a NF NXS to try the reticle and see how I like it on this rifle. If I like it,I'll order one. At least I'll know if I'm having some other issues other than scope and mounts. If the NF doesn't get me sorted out,I'm either going to rebarrel the Montana or get a Fieldcraft but I think I'm done with light weight unreliable scopes.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on mounts,and even pictures of your set up if you have something similar to what I am wanting.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Either will work fine as long as you torque them properly. You're overthinking it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Either will work fine as long as you torque them properly. You're overthinking it.

I do tend to do that,but I thought there could be a good bit of difference in rings.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
No, they're both very sturdy mounting systems and as long as you mount them properly they'll be rock solid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use Talley's on two rifles with NXS scopes and TPS rings / Burris Tactical two-piece on the others. If you want even mo' bombproof (and added mounting flexibility), go with the rail and NF lightweight rings (or any number of other bombproof rings).

We're all just very happy to see you've finally landed on a potential scope choice. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like Talley rail with Seekins rings.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SKane
I use Talley's on two rifles with NXS scopes and TPS rings / Burris Tactical two-piece on the others. If you want even mo' bombproof (and added mounting flexibility), go with the rail and NF lightweight rings (or any number of other bombproof rings).

We're all just very happy to see you've finally landed on a potential scope choice. laugh

Anything for you bro.LOL

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have Warne two piece bases, and Warne Mountain Tech rings on my Montana with a LRHS scope and couldn't be happier. It kind of splits the difference between Talley and a Pic rail and rings.

It's ALMOST as light as the Talleys, but in theory matches the strength of the Pic rial/rings combo with less weight/size.

I think you'd be quite pleased with that combo as well.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by SKane

Anything for you bro.LOL

grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by iddave
I have Warne two piece bases, and Warne Mountain Tech rings on my Montana with a LRHS scope and couldn't be happier. It kind of splits the difference between Talley and a Pic rail and rings.

It's ALMOST as light as the Talleys, but in theory matches the strength of the Pic rial/rings combo with less weight/size.

I think you'd be quite pleased with that combo as well.

Dave

Thanks Dave,that's the kind of options info I was looking for. Dave,I have some Warne steel bases for the Montana in the weaver style. I just looked and it looks like those Mountain Tech rings fit the weaver or picatinny style. Do you think there would be enough adjustment for ER on the Nightforce without using the full length rail? Low or medium?

I guess I wasn't real clear. I was hoping someone with more experience than me might give me a ring option that would be a good height for the 42mm NXS considering I chose the medium Talley lightweights over the lows,or tell me if the low NF light weight rings would be about right,too high or whatever.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What caliber is it??? Lots of difference in weight/ handling between the 308 and the 300win mag chamberings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple of similar setups:

84m 7-08, Warne Maxima bases with the slot opened up, Burris XTR Sig Med
[Linked Image]

FC 6.5 Creed, Talley 0MOA pic rail (rear is quite a bit lower than the 20MOA rail), Burris XTR Sig Med
[Linked Image]

8400 7WSM, Warne Maxima with slot opened, Burris XTR Sig Med
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The most durable setup regardless of abuse will be a 1 piece piccatinny base with good pic rings spread as far apart as possible. While Talley's do work I have seen several sets of split rings and cracked bases. Just for ring spacing alone I almost always choose a 1 piece pic base and rings.

Warns Mountain Tech is good, as is NF UL. Low rings will be fine.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jordan, how is cheek weld on the Barrett and the 7wsm? Looks like you could throw a cat under the objective end?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
The rifle is a 7mm-08 Montana.

Jordan,
Did those Warne bases require much opening for the Burris XTR rings? I might can get access to a mill. Could you have used lows on that 7-08 Montana and cleared bolt and objective?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Jordan, how is cheek weld on the Barrett and the 7wsm? Looks like you could throw a cat under the objective end?

Cheek weld on the 7WSM is great. The Barrett is more of a mid-chin weld, but is usable. I've since added a stock pack/cheek riser to the Barrett and cheek weld is improved. I was hoping to get away without the stock pack, but no such luck. I'll take the added weight for the extra optical system integrity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Jordan,
Did those Warne bases require much opening for the Burris XTR rings? I might can get access to a mill. Could you have used lows on that 7-08 Montana and cleared bolt and objective?

The bases took about 20 minutes of careful hand filing on the rear of the slot, per ring. A mil would make short work of that job, for sure, but is unnecessary. If I had a mil, I'd probably use it, though.

Burris doesn't make the XTR Sig in Low, but the rifle used to wear 30mm Talley LW Low's with that scope, and everything cleared. I'm very happy with the current setup. The rings have about 20-30 MOA of inclination in the inserts in that pic (can't remember exactly how much).

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Bottom rifle, 8400 Montana 7 WSM

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Anyone used the Seekins lows on a Montana 84m with a rail? Think there would be plenty of room for a 42mm Nightforce NXS? I know rails and rings are typically pretty high and the Seekins are the lowest I can find so far.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jordan, from my perspective those both look really high.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Cheek weld on the 7WSM is great. The Barrett is more of a mid-chin weld, but is usable. I've since added a stock pack/cheek riser to the Barrett and cheek weld is improved. I was hoping to get away without the stock pack, but no such luck. I'll take the added weight for the extra optical system integrity.

That was my next question , especially the Barrett. I was wondering if you'd tried a stock pack or cheek riser of some flavor. Talley lows are perfect for me as far as fit, and snap shooting, bringing the rifle to the shoulder quick on jumped game. Have extra lows on my 223, and bolt clears ocular, objective clears barrel with a vari-xII 3-9 but the stock hits way high cheek. Talley Lows are perfection, for me. My montana's aren't relegated to long range shooting though, so max elevation adjustment is of little concern. For that matter, I've never thrown my rifle like a frisbee, ran over it with a tractor, used it as a club, dropped it off a cliff or out the window of a Jeep, so obsessing over nuclear hardened scope mounting has never been a huge concern either. My talley's split/crack I'll buy another set to replace them. Don't tell anybody, but two of the deer presently in my freezer fell to 140gr Sierra gamekings out of my 10 year olds 7-08 and the third fell to a 240gr Hornady xtp out of a front stuffer.

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/09/18.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

Jordan,

The bases took about 20 minutes of careful hand filing on the rear of the slot, per ring. A mil would make short work of that job, for sure, but is unnecessary. If I had a mil, I'd probably use it, though.

Burris doesn't make the XTR Sig in Low, but the rifle used to wear 30mm Talley LW Low's with that scope, and everything cleared. I'm very happy with the current setup. The rings have about 20-30 MOA of inclination in the inserts in that pic (can't remember exactly how much).

I didn't know the signatures only came in medium. I've used the XTR's without the inserts in low but never used the signatures. Yea,no contact with the rear of the slot so if there's not a lot of filing,I see where the mill wouldn't be necessary.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Jordan, from my perspective those both look really high.

I guess that's the thing about scope height- it's a personal preference/fit sort of thing. One other thing to keep in mind, is that the appearance of the scope height varies with camera angle, I've noticed.

I like my head to be a little more vertical when the rifle is mounted, instead of tilted far forward with my eye down low, so a higher scope works fine for me. I wouldn't be hindered by a lower scope, but the XTR Sig is everything I want in a ring, so I'm willing to work with it. The 8400 setup works great for me, and as mentioned, the Barrett required a stock pack to get it where I like it. It was usable before, but is better now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That was my next question , especially the Barrett. I was wondering if you'd tried a stock pack or cheek riser of some flavor. Talley lows are perfect for me as far as fit, and snap shooting, bringing the rifle to the shoulder quick on jumped game. Have extra lows on my 223, and bolt clears ocular, objective clears barrel with a vari-xII 3-9 but the stock hits way high cheek. Talley Lows are perfection, for me. My montana's aren't relegated to long range shooting though, so max elevation adjustment is of little concern. For that matter, I've never thrown my rifle like a frisbee, ran over it with a tractor, used it as a club, dropped it off a cliff or out the window of a Jeep, so obsessing over nuclear hardened scope mounting has never been a huge concern either. My talley's split/crack I'll buy another set to replace them. Don't tell anybody, but two of the deer presently in my freezer fell to 140gr Sierra gamekings out of my 10 year olds 7-08 and the third fell to a 240gr Hornady xtp out of a front stuffer.

I hear you. Difference strokes for different folks, but I've spent enough time and ammo chasing rifle problems, only to find out they were scope/mount problems, that these days I want all my rifles wearing scopes and mounting systems that are as bullet-proof as possible. Less worry and messing around, is what I'm after.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Jordan,

I didn't know the signatures only came in medium. I've used the XTR's without the inserts in low but never used the signatures. Yea,no contact with the rear of the slot so if there's not a lot of filing,I see where the mill wouldn't be necessary.

That 20 minutes per ring includes cleanup and re-bluing the exposed raw steel, after the filing was finished wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I hear you. Difference strokes for different folks, but I've spent enough time and ammo chasing rifle problems, only to find out they were scope/mount problems, that these days I want all my rifles wearing scopes and mounting systems that are as bullet-proof as possible. Less worry and messing around, is what I'm after.

We're lucky to get a 300 yd shot. Normally 150yds and under. Shots you would take without hesitation, I would/could never consider. Definitely appreciate and respect the time and commitment involved to develop the skill set that allows that. Always enjoy your informative posts. First hand experience as opposed to all the regurgitated hear say you see so much of on here.Thanks for your time Jordan.

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/09/18.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I admit to preferring a mount height low enough to accommodate a solid cheek weld on the stock. Increased mounting heights result in a jawbone or masseter muscle weld. In my experience a cheek weld is more comfortable and consistent. While adding a stock pack helps, I prefer not having one on a sporter, lightweight or otherwise. There’s definitely more than one way to skin this cat.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I admit to preferring a mount height low enough to accommodate a solid cheek weld on the stock. Increased mounting heights result in a jawbone or pterygoid muscle weld. In my experience a cheek weld is more comfortable and consistent. While adding a stock pack helps, I prefer not having one on a sporter, lightweight or otherwise. There’s definitely more than one way to skin this cat.

Not suprisingly, the stocks on the new breed of production ultra lights were definitely not designed with long range/maximum inclination scope mounting systems in mind. Ranch hand doesn't make a bumper to fit a Ford Mustang either.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Definitely looks like the Warne two piece bases allow lower mounting than a one piece rail.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Definitely looks like the Warne two piece bases allow lower mounting than a one piece rail.

That’s one way I skin this cat, Warne 2- piece bases with low TPS HTR or TSR-W Rings.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ranch hand doesn't make a bumper to fit a Ford Mustang either.

👍 on the metaphor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone used the Seekins lows on a Montana 84m with a rail? Think there would be plenty of room for a 42mm Nightforce NXS? I know rails and rings are typically pretty high and the Seekins are the lowest I can find so far.

Yes, I have on a 8400 with no problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, but you're giving up some things too, like guaranteed scope ring alignment, rigidity and durability, scope ring latitude flexibility, etc. Lots of trade-offs to be considered, here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I admit to preferring a mount height low enough to accommodate a solid cheek weld on the stock. Increased mounting heights result in a jawbone or masseter muscle weld. In my experience a cheek weld is more comfortable and consistent. While adding a stock pack helps, I prefer not having one on a sporter, lightweight or otherwise. There’s definitely more than one way to skin this cat.

My experience is that different people's faces fit riflestocks differently, and each person needs to find a cheek weld that is solid and repeatable. My ideal cheekweld may be slightly higher than yours, but a lack of parallax or POI problems, in addition to being able to acquire the desired POA very quickly when mounting a rifle, regardless of scope used, indicates that my cheek weld works for me, as I'm betting yours works for you.

Honestly, I'm not one of those people that finds cheek weld height to be super critical.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

We're lucky to get a 300 yd shot. Normally 150yds and under. Shots you would take without hesitation, I would/could never consider. Definitely appreciate and respect the time and commitment involved to develop the skill set that allows that. Always enjoy your informative posts. First hand experience as opposed to all the regurgitated hear say you see so much of on here.Thanks for your time Jordan.

While it allows extended range shooting, the purpose for the specific scope mounting setup on the 84m and the Barrett, is to increase reliability and mechanical integrity, more than anything else. I grew tired of worrying about whether my scopes were still zero'd, or not...

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by skeen

Yes, I have on a 8400 with no problem.

Lowest option with a rail?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Not on a Montana but I am using a rail with Seekins lows on several rifles, including a couple of Fieldcrafts. One of those has a 42mm Nightforce and there is plenty of room.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly, I'm not one of those people that finds cheek weld height to be super critical.

Thank you......me either......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I wasn't real clear. I was hoping someone with more experience than me might give me a ring option that would be a good height for the 42mm NXS considering I chose the medium Talley lightweights over the lows,or tell me if the low NF light weight rings would be about right,too high or whatever.

I can't comment specifically to the NF rings, but I need mediums as well in everything, whether it's Talley lightweights in 1" or 30mm, or rails and rings. My hunting setups with 2.5-10x32 NF's, two have 20 MOA Seekins rails with medium Seekins rings, and the third is a Bat VR w/ an integral 0 base with Seekins mediums. Perfect for me.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have used the Seekins lows on several rifles (not a Montana 84M) with one piece rail with 20 MOA base and have cleared 42mm scopes nicely. I really like the Seekins low rings, there are my go to rings.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
RH,

Here are a couple of pictures I snapped of my set-up last night. These are "medium" Mountain Tech rings btw. I tired the "low" rings and while they JUST cleared the barrel on the objective end, but the bolt handle was hitting the eye-piece on the back end. I suspect that is a function of the Talley two piece bases sitting considerably lower than most pic rails.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maybe the eyepiece is smaller on the Nightforce than the LRHS and will allow you to run the lows. If so, I suspect scope caps will be out of the equation.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by iddave
RH,

Here are a couple of pictures I snapped of my set-up last night. These are "medium" Mountain Tech rings btw. I tired the "low" rings and while they JUST cleared the barrel on the objective end, but the bolt handle was hitting the eye-piece on the back end. I suspect that is a function of the Talley two piece bases sitting considerably lower than most pic rails.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maybe the eyepiece is smaller on the Nightforce than the LRHS and will allow you to run the lows. If so, I suspect scope caps will be out of the equation.

Dave

Thanks a bunch Dave. With the MT lows,was the bolt hitting the scope ocular ,not allowing you to use that scope at all,or just hitting your rear scope cap?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The bolt was hitting the eye-piece.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by aalf

Thank you......me either......

If the distance from your eye to your cheek bone were static like mine, you might understand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a set of the Kimber two-piece picatinny bases and Seekins rings (low) for a couple Montana's.
One (8400) has a LRHS 3-12x44mm scope mounted and the other (84M) has a Leica ERi 2.5-10x42mm mounted. Might swap the Leica out with a SWFA SS 3-9x42mm.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
idddave and Foesteology

Help me figure this out please. idddave says his LHRS wouldn't clear the bolt with the Warne Mountain Tech lows. I called Warne today and was informed that their lows are .86 tall.

Fosteology is using two piece bases and even a lower ring. The Seekins low is .82 tall

Fosteology, are those picatinny two piece bases that much taller than the Warne,weaver bases ?
Is this the two piece bases.
http://store.kimberamerica.com/84-two-piece-picatinny-bases

Does that mean they are as tall as a one piece picatinny base, but the weaver two piece from Warne would not be?

I have warne,weaver steel bases already. Several picatinny rings will fit that base without modification including Burris XTR and the Warne Mountain Tech. I like the one piece for strength and adjustability, but not sure it wouldn't get in the way loading and unloading the Montana.

Just trying to get this worked out to have the lowest mount set up but still have good objective and ocular bolt clearance.
Thanks,and sorry for all the back and forth.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/10/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have a set of Warne bases on hand to compare, but based on memory I'd wager that the Kimber two-piece picatinny bases are indeed taller. I have no issue/problem with the bolt clearing the LRHS ocular. I even took it off the 8400 and mounted to the 84M, and again, no issues.

Another option (one which I haven't gotten around to) is to do what Stick did. Take a one-piece picatinny rail and cut out the center portion and smooth up the cut edges.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I don't have a set of Warne bases on hand to compare, but based on memory I'd wager that the Kimber two-piece picatinny bases are indeed taller. I have no issue/problem with the bolt clearing the LRHS ocular. I even took it off the 8400 and mounted to the 84M, and again, no issues.

Another option (one which I haven't gotten around to) is to do what Stick did. Take a one-piece picatinny rail and cut out the center portion and smooth up the cut edges.

With the Seekins low rings and two piece picatinny rail,are you happy with the height, or do you wish it was even lower for a 42mm scope?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it was lower, the bolt would likely not clear the ocular. Honestly, it's not that high. It's just a tad higher (maybe 1/8"+/-) than a comparable scope mounted in the Talley two-piece LW low rings.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Is there any difference between the 84L and the 8400 receiver?....maybe that's it.

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Jordan,

Any/what reason for not using a one piece rail on Your Kimbers in the above pictures?

Thanks,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Jordan,

Any/what reason for not using a one piece rail on Your Kimbers in the above pictures?

Thanks,

Jerry

Yes,I would also love to hear from anyone using a one piece rail,or anyone that has used one. I'm concerned if loading is difficult with the one piece rail.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Jordan,

Thanks,

Jerry

Weight and scope mount height, though those rifles could get rails in the future to standardize my mounting systems across rifles, and make scope swaps easier. As with the Barrett, I doubt the loading port will be a problem. We’ll see, I may just leave them as is, since I don’t intend on moving those scopes around at all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one piece rails now on all but just 2 rifles now. Just simpler when I want to do scope rodeo and such and really no down side aside from a couple fractions of an oz. Loading and unloading is certainly not an issue here for me with a one piece rail. Granted its not an NXS on there so maybe that part would be different. smile Though putting the SHV 3-10 or NXS 2.5-10 I would be well under 7 pounds, but for this rifle I am ok being at just under 7.25 pounds. If I want to go lighter I have other options.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alaska_lanche; 01/12/18.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I see great minds think alike AL.

With the notable exception to your vastly inferior mounting approach of course.

Dave

Last edited by iddave; 01/12/18.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haha yes indeed. Gonna be a shame when the scope flies off the rifle on the first shot wink

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I have one piece rails now on all but just 2 rifles now. Just simpler when I want to do scope rodeo and such and really no down side aside from a couple fractions of an oz. Loading and unloading is certainly not an issue here for me with a one piece rail. Granted its not an NXS on there so maybe that part would be different. smile Though putting the SHV 3-10 or NXS 2.5-10 I would be well under 7 pounds, but for this rifle I am ok being at just under 7.25 pounds. If I want to go lighter I have other options.

[Linked Image]

Thanks a bunch for that info. What rail and rings did you use on that one? Wondering about the rings so I can know the height in that picture. Just wondering if there is any quality difference in the rails in your opinion between the Talley,Nightforce,or EGW offerings?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used a EGW on this rifle. I have a Talley on my Barrett, and my Tikkas all pretty much have Mountain Tacticals.

Those rings are NF lows as well. I am not sure about quality differences of rails sorry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just off the top of my head, I’ve had EGW, Talley, USO, NF, Weaver, etc, pic rails. They all fit and functioned just fine, but my preference, just for peace of mind, is a rail with an integral recoil lug.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just off the top of my head, I’ve had EGW, Talley, USO, NF, Weaver, etc, pic rails. They all fit and functioned just fine, but my preference, just for peace of mind, is a rail with an integral recoil lug.

Jordan,I've heard of a recoil lug in picatinny rails but I don't understand how it works. I guess I've never seen one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Jordan,I've heard of a recoil lug in picatinny rails but I don't understand how it works. I guess I've never seen one.

Recoil Lug on a Seekins Rail.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

I yoinked this pic off the 'net...

You can see the little lip sticking down over the front of the loading port, which acts as a recoil lug, and takes the lateral stress off the base screws under recoil.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also, the hole in the rail are slightly oblong, allowing the base a little leeway fore & aft for positive lug contact.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks for the rail lug explanation. That was the only way I could think of it working but I had never seen one before.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

So what brand of rails have a recoil lug (other than the seekins) or conversely which do not?

Thanks,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

These rails have recoil lugs (M700 applications):
Seekins
NF
Badger Maximized
TPS XP
Precision Armament
Xtrema Hardcore Gear
Near
Farrell FG-Force
Weaver Extended (per Jordan)

No Lug:
LaRue
McCann
Warne Mountain Tech
Warne
Talley
GG&G
Farrell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Off the top of my head...

These rails have recoil lugs (M700 applications):
Seekins
NF
Badger Maximized
TPS XP
Precision Armament
Xtrema Hardcore Gear
Near

No Lug:
LaRue
McCann
Warne Mountain Tech
Warne
Talley

Weaver Extended, as well.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Tag

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am going to mount a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X42 on my Kimber Montana. I've been debating with myself whether I should use Talley Lightweights or go with a Picatinny rail and rings. The whole purpose of the NF is to eliminate any possible scope issues ,so I'm leaning toward a good rail and ring set up. How it looks is way down on the list but I don't mind cutting down on unnecessary weight or bulk if I'm not sacrificing dependability. I've not used a lot of rail and rings before so I would appreciate some suggestions of what would be best.

Right now I'm thinking of ordering either the Nightforce or Talley picatinny rail and some Nightforce light weight rings. I would go with the Burris extreme tactical signature rings but I was concerned that the extra width might limit my mounting adjustment on the short action.

Right now I use Talley lightweights with a 1" scope in mediums because the height of the mediums align with my eye better than the lows. I'm willing to consider any other ring options though if there is something better ,or that will fit the set up better.

Yes,I know it will add considerable weight to the Montana but I'm tired of wondering if I'm having scope problems or something else. I've been chasing my tail with this rifle,sometimes shooting one hole groups and sometimes 3" groups,and sometimes one hole groups to different POI without a scope adjustment or ammo change on the same day. Formidilosus has been generous enough to loan me a NF NXS to try the reticle and see how I like it on this rifle. If I like it,I'll order one. At least I'll know if I'm having some other issues other than scope and mounts. If the NF doesn't get me sorted out,I'm either going to rebarrel the Montana or get a Fieldcraft but I think I'm done with light weight unreliable scopes.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on mounts,and even pictures of your set up if you have something similar to what I am wanting.

Talley LW all the way. That how I mounted my SHV (virtually identical in size and weight to your jealously-inducing NXS) on my 7 WSM Montana. Works great. Don't overthink this. smile

FWIW, I'm also using Talley LW's to mount the SHV on my faux Xtreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM. Both rifle shoot itty-bitty groups and the zero holds tight.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It beats remembering what a Kimber Montana is, and does best, here... it's a featherweight HUNTING RIFLE.

Even if a rail system gave some incremental improvement in group size (compared to Talley LW's) on a 20-lb match rifle, can YOU actually use that extra precision shooting a Kimber Montana? Be honest with yourself. I've put a shïtload of rounds through my 7 WSM Montana and as much as I love the rifle, there are just some limits with such a light rifle and a mere mortal behind the trigger.

That's what I mean by don't overthink this. Talley LW's are a great setup in my experience: are simple, are strong, are very light, and cheap! And I seriously doubt they'll limit anybody in any meaningful way compared to a rail. But the rail setup will cost a lot more, weigh a lot more, and basically goober-up a fine featherweight rifle... for no real reason IMHO IME.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
It beats remembering what a Kimber Montana is, and does best, here... it's a featherweight HUNTING RIFLE.

Even if a rail system gave some incremental improvement in group size (compared to Talley LW's) on a 20-lb match rifle, can YOU actually use that extra precision shooting a Kimber Montana? Be honest with yourself. I've put a shïtload of rounds through my 7 WSM Montana and as much as I love the rifle, there are just some limits with such a light rifle and a mere mortal behind the trigger.

That's what I mean by don't overthink this. Talley LW's are a great setup in my experience: are simple, are strong, are very light, and cheap! And I seriously doubt they'll limit anybody in any meaningful way compared to a rail. But the rail setup will cost a lot more, weigh a lot more, and basically goober-up a fine featherweight rifle... for no real reason IMHO IME.

I can understand that point,but an aluminum rail and rings won't add that much more weight.Also the standard 84m is lighter than the WSM actions,so there's a bit more room to beef things up and still have a relatively light weight set up.

When I bought the Montana I went as light as possible with everything,but I'm beginning to rethink things. Now I think I may prefer the light rifle just so I can have a heavier more reliable scope and mounts and still be reasonably light,compared to what it would have been starting with a heavier rifle and adding the same scope and mounts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Talley LW all the way.

Agreed Jeff, but remember, those aren’t “tacticool”.. a guy really needs @ 20 oz scope and I-beam mounts to support it. Those 500 yard shots are demanding. laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Brad
Talley LW all the way.

Agreed Jeff, but remember, those aren’t “tacticool”.. a guy really needs @ 20 oz scope and I-beam mounts to support it. Those 500 yard shots are demanding. laugh

I've had 2 pair of LW's crack. I still have them on a few rifles but nothing else gets them. Rail with Seekins rings or DNZ's have been good to me the last few years. DNZ's are STOUT for a lw ring if you can live with the spacing limitations.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting. I’ve had at least 25 pairs. Never an issue. But I do lap them, and use a torque wrench.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talley LW all the way.

Nah to add that stuff to get up to that 7-7.25 pound you have mentioned you prefer as well. smile

Of course I can get by with lesser scope and have for years. Problem is now that I have used scopes that don't require a couple adjustment click everytime I check "zero" its hard to go back to the ones that do. Epsecially when I always have those other rifles that are lighter if needed. wink

I do have like 4-5 pairs of Kimber Talley's of various sizes if anyone want to buy them. $30 each shipped....some 30mm some 1", some black, some silver, some lows, some mediums. smile

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Interesting. I’ve had at least 25 pairs. Never an issue. But I do lap them, and use a torque wrench.

I've had a bunch of them, only the 2 cracked. I don't lap and only use 2 fingers on the short end of the wrench to tighten alternating screws so there is a chance I over-tightened...but nothing else has ever failed and the same technique is used. That rifle lived (still lives) a hard life as it lives in an ATV boot and is used/carried/driven every day. The DNZ mounts which replaced the LW's are still good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Talley LW all the way.

Nah to add that stuff to get up to that 7-7.25 pound you have mentioned you prefer as well. smile

Of course I can get by with lesser scope and have for years. Problem is now that I have used scopes that don't require a couple adjustment click everytime I check "zero" its hard to go back to the ones that do. Epsecially when I always have those other rifles that are lighter if needed. wink

I do have like 4-5 pairs of Kimber Talley's of various sizes if anyone want to buy them. $30 each shipped....some 30mm some 1", some black, some silver, some lows, some mediums. smile

I actually prefer dots, as they're a "set and forget" proposition. However, I certainly "get" wanting a scope that tracks perfectly, like the NF. For what I do a light Leupold with a CDS is fine. Yes I do prefer a 7 - 7.25lb rifle, but I don't like the weight sitting on top. I prefer it out front in the barrel, not awkwardly perched on top in the middle of the rifle like Dolly Parton and her bolt-on's. And of course, a lighter scope really negates the need for heavy mounts. A 20 oz scope up high is subject to a lot more forces than a 12 oz one and for sure it's smart to use a more stout mount.

We all find our way to the same end differently for sure... use what you wish, go forth and slay beasts. This is all fun and games anyway, and if it isn't then psychoanalysis is in order.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I've had a bunch of them, only the 2 cracked. I don't lap and only use 2 fingers on the short end of the wrench to tighten alternating screws so there is a chance I over-tightened...but nothing else has ever failed and the same technique is used. That rifle lived (still lives) a hard life as it lives in an ATV boot and is used/carried/driven every day. The DNZ mounts which replaced the LW's are still good.

Sounds like you had a mount failure to me, but I wasn't there putting the scope together. Finger tight with the short end of the torx shouldn't be much over the 18 in lbs spec'd. I will say, I am fairly certain a light lapping helps Talley Lwt's. mfg's opinion aside. All I've ever had get lapped lightly to remove the "Talley Pinch."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just mounted mine on the .280 84L with Talley LWs. Based on past experience with Talleys I think they'll work just fine.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talley LW all the way.

I actually prefer dots, as they're a "set and forget" proposition. However, I certainly "get" wanting a scope that tracks perfectly, like the NF. For what I do a light Leupold with a CDS is fine. Yes I do prefer a 7 - 7.25lb rifle, but I don't like the weight sitting on top. I prefer it out front in the barrel, not awkwardly perched on top in the middle of the rifle like Dolly Parton and her bolt-on's. And of course, a lighter scope really negates the need for heavy mounts. A 20 oz scope up high is subject to a lot more forces than a 12 oz one and for sure it's smart to use a more stout mount.

We all find our way to the same end differently for sure... use what you wish, go forth and slay beasts. This is all fun and games anyway, and if it isn't then psychoanalysis is in order.

Agreed 100% most of this is certainly psychoanalysis. The LRD set and forget way is by for the best way to roll with Leupolds I agree especially since they will never put a TMOA or similar in their smaller scopes.

I certainly am not nearly the rifle aficionado as yourself to have balance dialed to where you can say you prefer the weight out front, but not too much cause you cut the 84Ls back to 21-23", but you also like the weight out front so you don't put a big scope on there.....cause I can't tell the difference often just shouldering rifles of similar weight rifle setup of totally different. This is most likely a blessing in disguise that I am too ignorant to know the difference. I also openly admit I am also not near astute enough to tell the 1.5 ft/lb of recoil difference between a 165 grain bullet at 2750 fps and a 180 grainer at 2650 fps out of the same rifle when I shoot them back to back and claim the 180s are that much more. I tried it by having my wife load them for me without looking 2 of each in the mag and I tried my damnedest to guess which was which but honestly they all felt the same to me haha. To me they both recoil stiff in a lightweight and no discernible difference.

Like you said its all psychonanalysis as we look over every tiny detail when we can't be out hunting. Then when the time to go hunting most of use would be happy to just grab a $300 rfile and a $150 scope and go slay just as well as we would with the rifle setups we agonize over and spend far too much on. But what fun would that be right? smile Thanks for the reply...always enjoy reading your thoughts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 3,184 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,528
Posts18,452,881
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.