Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Alright, Ken. Details!!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks John, I should have written ready to hunt instead of scoped. smile

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Never say last 7x57 or anything else for that matter. My first 7X57 was a Ruger #1 AB over 30 years ago. I knew nothing about the cartridge at the time and bought the gun because it had nice wood. I later bought a custom 7X51AI from a friend and figured why have to and sold the #1. I still regret that decision and now have no less than 4 rifles for the 7X57

It's the last as there is no more space in the gunsafe...... whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
MD, curious so weighed a (nylon) sling and 4rds of 280 140g last nite at a touch over a half pound.

Guessing that would require some thought to blank selection and stockmaker's effort to keep it all up at 8#, eh?

Granted, the shells were loaded to the gills...:)

Defend the Constitution
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RevMike
Alright, Ken. Details!!

Leupold 6x36 in Talley rings.

Shilen barrel cut to 22" with a 1-11" twist. Going to use either a 140 gr TBT or Nosler Partition in it and NOTHING HEAVIER!

13 5/8" L.O.P.

Black Walnut stock with wrap around Fluer De Lis with ribbons checkering.

Herestal Dumoulin Safari Action standard length.

Red recoil pad.

Winchester Super Grade style sling studs.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That is outstanding! May I ask who did the stock work?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a beauty, Ken.

Did you specify that 1-11" ROT or did it come that way?

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
tomk,

Yeah, the wood makes a difference, along with stock dimensions and barrel contour. Back when the standard custom rifle, like Jack's, was built on a 98 Mauser or pre-'64 M70 action weighing close to 3 pounds, it was a trick, but could be done.

It's a lot easier with some of today's actions!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
That is outstanding! May I ask who did the stock work?

Roy Bedeaux did the inletting,finish and bedding,while Dale Goens did the checkering.

Roundoak,I did specify a 1-11" twist. Only want to use 140's in this one. The two other 7mm Mausers I own can shoot the heavier bullets.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ken, if I had a rifle that looked that good I'd sleep with it. laugh

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joe

grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Joe

Who says I don't. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had the pleasure of fondling it, but he probably is not going to let me shoot it! grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JamesJr
JamesJr:

I see you're in Kentucky. You have elk there. Think of them as tigers with antlers, and not quite as ornery.

The catch is drawing an elk tag. I've put in for the drawing every year, but never luck out. My son put in for archery tag, and drew one, but I gave bowhunting up years ago. If I ever do get a tag, I'll more than likely use my 270, but the 7X57 would work much better.

Fixed it. laugh

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Originally Posted by JamesJr
JamesJr:

I see you're in Kentucky. You have elk there. Think of them as tigers with antlers, and not quite as ornery.

The catch is drawing an elk tag. I've put in for the drawing every year, but never luck out. My son put in for archery tag, and drew one, but I gave bowhunting up years ago. If I ever do get a tag, I'll more than likely use my 270, but the 7X57 would work much better.

Fixed it. laugh

Haha. I have an attachment to my 270 that is hard to explain. Nothing wrong with the 7X57, and I doubt that either me or the elk would notice any difference.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by mudhen
I have had the pleasure of fondling it, but he probably is not going to let me shoot it! grin

You can shoot it,but you have to wash your hands first. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Alright, Ken. Details!!

Shilen barrel cut to 22" with a 1-11" twist. Going to use either a 140 gr TBT or Nosler Partition in it and NOTHING HEAVIER!

13 5/8" L.O.P.

Red recoil pad.

OR NOTHING LONGER such as a 140 gr TTSX, correct?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Re Cactus Jack’s last two 7x57 rifles.
The first of the two was a small ring 98 type action identical to the G33/40 except they had different markings and there were fewer available for use. Tom Burgess did basic metal work. His later jobs were much more elaborate. The stock was made by Russ Leonard who made his living as a sales rep for, I believe, Leupold and perhaps other companies. Leonard’s stock styling was a very big influence on Earl Milliron’s “racy classic” design. Earl told me so. I believe Leonard built a rifle stock for Joyce Hornady. Mr. O’Connor used it for a short time until it was claimed by his bride. The stock was shortened. She being 5’3” or so and him standing over 6’.

The second rifle was a pre64 M70 which was remodeled by Al Biesen. The wood is pretty plain. But that was not unusual at that time. Biesen recontoured the standard weight barrel and cut it to 22”. I have handled both and prefer the 7x57. Mr O’Connor let me fondle all of them while visiting him in his home. I was 21 and thought I was in heaven.

I have weighted quite a few of the wood stocked rifles which were being built by the top makers of the time. Most of those stocks weigh 2 1/2 pounds.

I have owned and weighed stocks by Fisher, Milliron, Kennedy, Goens, and Brownell. Weight could vary by plus or minus 2 oz depending upon wood density. M70’s and 98’s were pretty close with a 98 being about 2 oz less. Of course that depends on the barrel and sights.

My lightest rifle of that period was completed in 1977 and is a G33/40 270 blind magazine Burgess metal with a slim barrel e.g. .535” at 23”. The stock was made by Monte Kennedy from a blank that came from Purdey’s wood pile.

The “formula” for a custom was pretty well established so 270 class rifle went 7.5-8 with a 4x Leupold and no iron sights. In those days 90% of the “mountain rifles” being built by the top makers were 270 Wins. The rest were 7 RM.
Milliron built one stock with a very light blank that was 2# because he hollowed the butt and fore end.

Last edited by RinB; 01/09/18.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 7-57 has the digit 7 in it's name twice. Other than than it's just an old cartridge that some folks talk about.

I just looked to see that I have one. It's an old ZB Brno 22 H with a 20" bbl, m70 type 3 position safety, scoped with a Vari X 3-9 Compact in a zb slide off top mount.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Alright, Ken. Details!!

13 5/8" L.O.P.

Red recoil pad.

OR NOTHING LONGER such as a 140 gr TTSX, correct?
Correct.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 51 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.