-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer beef/beef fat, as I don't want to have to cook the life out of a burger because of a need to bring it to pork temps. The point from a packer brisket is a great way to add fat to a batch of venison burger. Separate the point, trim off the hard fat/gristle, and then grind it with venison at about 5:1 ratio. Then smoke up the brisket flat.

Jeff

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use bacon for the fat too: 10% by weight or a bit more.

What I have found to help keep the burger together is to grind it once with whatever plate you wish, and to double grind it with the finest plate you have.

I like mine to come out almost as a paste. For whatever reason, I have found it holds together better.

I don't think it helps to hold the meat together at all, but I do also add a bit of season salt, cheese and sometimes even Jalapeños into the grind.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I mix enough 80/20 beef to get the fat where I want it. One third beef is close.

This is my wife's absolute favorite burger.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That is my wife's preference as well. She buys 80/20 or 85/15 ground beef in bulk when it goes on sale and mixes it 50/50 with the venison.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Also, much easier to grind if it's half frozen, especially the fat.

Yep, whatever you use, this is the best way to do it !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Hi guys. In the past I've mixed pork with my ground deer meat and it has been good or maybe good enough...... so what else can I do? I've heard that I can also use beef fat, beef tallow or pork fat. I guess I am looking for a way to make my venison stick together without actually adding another meat to it. What do you guys suggest?
Thanks in advance, Bob

The only thing I want in my ground venison is ground venison. Anything else is blasphemy and a shooting offense. I don't understand why anyone would waste venison by adding pork, beef, or anything else to it. If I didn't like venison as God delivered it, I wouldn't shoot it.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Hi guys. In the past I've mixed pork with my ground deer meat and it has been good or maybe good enough...... so what else can I do? I've heard that I can also use beef fat, beef tallow or pork fat. I guess I am looking for a way to make my venison stick together without actually adding another meat to it. What do you guys suggest?
Thanks in advance, Bob

The only thing I want in my ground venison is ground venison. Anything else is blasphemy and a shooting offense. I don't understand why anyone would waste venison by adding pork, beef, or anything else to it. If I didn't like venison as God delivered it, I wouldn't shoot it.

Tom

Plain ground venison taste bad to me if you make burgers out of it plus it falls apart plain deer is fine if you making chili or tacos.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thats pretty good, best burgers I’ve made are 50/50 with sotore bought groud beef.

If you are watching your cholesterol, oatmeal mixed into the 100% venison will help hold it together too.

You can also pre make the patties, freeze them, and put them stright on the grill frozen. Helps them to hold together a little better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ten percent bacon bits and ends or 20 percent 80/20 burger. If intended only for burger patties you can add your seasoning salt of choice, cheese, and chile peppers.

Sean
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't mix anything with my grind, elk, deer, or pronghorn. Wild game meat is the healthiest a person can eat. Why ruin it? Adding anything to it is like mixing great tasting whiskey and Coke.

If you only flip you burgers once when on the grill, they won' fall apart

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bacon ends for elk or deer burger.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ends and pieces bacon. I’ve used brisket before too.....back when brisket was cheap anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I usually add 5% clean white beef fat. My grocery butcher provides for free, coarse ground.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bacon ends and pieces ground into the deer meat. I do about 20% bacon to deer and for ever 2 pounds i use dry onion soup mix powder packet. Makes a great grilled buirger and a fine hamber steak with gravy. Also have mixed ranch powder with the bacon deer mix. It’s pretty dang good.

Proud supporter of the NRA.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I buy Rib racks for steaks and trim the fat off the outside to suit me . I freeze it until I work up a deer. Ribeye fat makes a good mix with ground venison.

This is what I do as well.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I must check this out..

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am in the don’t mix anything with my venison crowd. It works fine for everything except actual burgers, and then I add an egg to the meat to get it to stick together. Unless we are talking sausage, then I add one pound of organic pig fat per four pounds of venison.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fat cap from a trimmed top block or any other beef fat. Grind mixture twice, wrap.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 66 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,428
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.