Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here is a general question I’m throwing out to all across the prairies of the U.S.A. Where I live we mostly shoot sage rats 🐀 that are scientifically called “Belding Squirrels”. They are typically smaller than a true prairie dog, unless they are pregnant. A 17hmr is plenty of power to send a 10oz varmint flying 4-6 ft in the air if hit right. I have a couple of 17 hmr’s that I’ve put several thousands of rounds thru and an Ruger 77/17 in 17 wsm. I bought the Ruger new last year when the word went out that Ruger would discontinue its line of 77/17 rifles. Ruger a few months back changed their mind and for now will keep making it...I’ve found the differences between the 17 hmr and 17 wsm to be slight but still exciting with the 17 wsm providing 200 yard plus shots consistently where my hmr will top out around 160 yards....The ammo for a wsm is about the same as an hmr but the upside is with distance gained and more explosive results at hmr ranges. Here’s my question. Why hasn’t more rifle mfg’s made a 17 wsm? Ruger as usual is pretty proud of their rifle reflected by the price. Winchester makes a single shot which is boring to me since it’s a rimfire. Savage has a couple rifles but strange mechanics with the bolt design and lastly Volquartsen makes a few semi models “ I also own one with a McMillan stock” super accurate but heavy as hell making it feel like a bench gun. I assume I’am going to hear comments that some of you don’t have much experience with either the 17 hmr or wsm because where you live a centerfire round is more desirable due to size and shot distances. Please help save the 17 wsm. It’s a solid killer for 1-200 yards. Then after you clean up the close dogs with cheap ammo you can bust out the fun centerfire rifles.

Last edited by Beaver10; 01/05/18.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think the caliber was a mistake. Should've been 20 or 22, then it'd be on my want list.

There's not a lot of varmint hunting around here, so mostly prefer heavier bullets.

Also, I'd have to guess that the size of the round and pressure might not fit into most existing platforms.

Last edited by DollarShort; 01/05/18.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
DollarShort: Your thoughts make sense. I’ve made a few trips to Montana for pdogs and aside from a few dogs close after we set up my 17wsm would easily kill. The rest were beyond rimfire abilities and the wind on some days would make it impossible. I figured that would be why I never hear much use for 17wsm on the prairie with a lot of wind. Thx, for sharing.

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have wondered for awhile why Winchester didn't neck that .17WSM up to .22 caliber. They might want to try that seeing as how the .17 WSM missed the boat with dismal sales, probably due to the shortage of rifles chambered for it. It looks like a loser.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sadly, I think you are right....While I wait for the end to come for the 17wsm, I will continue to buy the ammo at 17 hmr prices. All I need is 25k rounds and I will be good for 20 years 😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I woulda bought a 17 WSM if I had liked the rifles.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep, selection of manufacturers and models are sad.

“Molon Labe”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’m always the exception to these 17WSM threads because I love mine. I have a second generation B Mag with the heavy stainless barrel. I consistently get 3/4” groups at 100 yards with American Eagle 20 grainers. I watched the cavedweller YouTube on epoxy bedding the OEM plastic stock and haven’t looked back. I don’t necessarily like the bolt and cocking function but for a rimfire I can live with it.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I agree with you on the Savage; I didn’t like the bolt mechanics either. I figured the Savage would have good accuracy but I couldn’t get past the weird bolt. I bought Ruger instead and prayed it would be a good one. Very happy after installing a Jard trigger.

“Molon Labe”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had a B-Mag and it shot great but couldn't learn to love the contraption. Bought a Ruger 77 WSM and love it on sage rats and rockchucks. I've killed rats out to 250 yards with some authority when it's not too windy. As accurate as I'll ever be. If you can get by the standard 7-9 lb trigger they are great. I've had mine "fixed" to about 2 lbs and looking forward to the upcoming rodent season.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
if CZ woulda made a rifle in 17wizzzzm I'd have bought one. but,it really doesn't make sense due to the fact that the CZ-527 is made in 17hornet. maybe the new Tikka T1x will be made in 17wizzzzm.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I knew years ago I would have a .17 WSM, so I started buying ammo at gun shows. I bought all I found at $ 13.00 or less. I have lotsa ammo. Then I bought a Ruger .17 WSM ....used with 25 boxes of ammo. I never liked the Savage .I would have bought a Winchester Low Wall, as I have 1 in the .17 HMR and Mach II, but did not find a good price on one.

Have been shooting the Ruger just a short time, but it is 1/2" - 3/4" at 100 M. I had a Zeiss Diavari 3X9 and they mated. I find the Ruger trigger a little heavy but I don't plan on replacing it. Haven't shot in the field but once , crows are gutted pretty good.

I hope the .17 WSM does not go away, but I am set for ammo anyway.

I like the rimfires in all cals. All fun. Even shoot a Remington ( crappy gun) .5MM. 591 I think , mag feed.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cisco1: I know the feeling...I keep stocking up on .17 WSM ammo in fear it will vanish one day. Not many rifle mfg's are making this caliber, which makes one think it will be a relic. I also started buying and putting away extra Ruger mags for my 17. I've already had a mag go bad. I figure it's better to keep several mags on hand for the future. If the 17 WSM goes away, Ruger mags will be hard and expensive to replace. You topped yours with a nice scope. I put a Sightron SII 4-16X42 A/O on mine, very happy with the set up. Cisco1, you should consider the "Jard trigger" replacement. If, I remember, it was $145 installed. Very nice compared to what I got from Ruger.

Last thing to pass on to 17 WSM owners. I came across a company on Ebay who sells a "Bore Wire" for the 17 WSM. It's light years better than a bore snake from Hoppes and a lot easier to use in the field than a rod.

Go to Ebay, type in "17 WSM Rifle Bore Cleaning Tool". You'll see it listed in the package as "Bore Wire". The seller charges $4.97 plus $2.60 shipping. For under $8 bucks, this wire is amazing and safe on the delicate 17 riflings...I bought several...Hoarder must be in my DNA.

“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Beaver10,

Good info on the bore wire.... I will look into that.

I have same scope on Anschutz Hornet, and some big bores also . Some are 42MM -- some are 36MM . I do not concern myself with parallax too much 100 + yards no issue.

If Anschutz made a rifle in .17 WSM I would have it. However , I spoke with Dieter ? Anschutz at NRA show last year and they have no plans for manufacturing one.

The .17 WSM is the hottest rimfire out there .....I hope it sticks around.

Best,
Chuck

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'd love to have one, at the moment I'm holding out for a ruger American, if not I see a hornet in my future

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have you guys noticed a big difference in ammo as far as accuracy? Winchester, Hornady, Amerian Eagle??? I have a 17wsm but don't have it scoped yet.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Markopolo: Yes, on ammo making a difference...First, I read on the interwebby about the Ruger 77/17 17 wsm before I bought one. A lot of owners said their Ruger’s preferred American Eagle 20 grainers. With that said, I bought the three you mentioned just in case mine hated AE. Nope. Best accuracy by far was American Eagle over Winchester and slightly better than Hornady.

Caveat...I can only speak for my Ruger experience. If you have a Savage or other rimfire. Your rifle will tell you what it wants to eat 😋

I would suggest buying Hornady and American Eagle and see which shoots best for you, if you have a Ruger... Scope choice? Whatcha looking at?

“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I have only shot Winchester . Shoots good ...so haven't tried the Eagle. I think I have some of that.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Well I’m about to acquire a 77/17WSM and have several thousand rounds of American Eagle on hand so hopefully mine likes it. My local Cabela’s had it on sale a couple months ago for $9.99 a box and I panicked thinking they knew something I didn’t about the cartridge disappearing so I bought a bunch since my BMAG loves it.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
LowerRiver: Good price! I always buy ammo for my 17wsm when I see it at $10 bucks. I did mention I’am a ammo hoarder above. I imagine the Savage Bmag shoots really good. I like everything about the Savage rimfire offerings; Price, accuracy, and always staring back at me at any Bi-Mart store I’m shopping at. I would own a Bmag, if I could just get over the bolt.

Since you own a Bmag, is the bolt really that different, than say the Savage 17hmr bolt guns? I like having 2 of almost every rimfire varmint rifle I take into the field in case one goes down. I just don’t want to dropped another $700 for Ruger 77/17. I could swing for a Bmag though.

“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (2UP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 15 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.