B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one is accurate enough for me. 10 shots in very gusty 40mph crosswinds, 100 yards. 1982 Ruger M77.

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I prefer a rifle that will hold about 1 moa, but one that fits, tracks well for me and is comfortable to shoot is just as important. If I cannot hit offhand with it, it just does not work for me. The moa just helps to cut down one variable.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It has to feel right when firing in the offhand position. Like someone else said about the paper plate, that works. My grandpa used to go by that rule and he always got his buck, even with open sighted model 94's.... Anymore, I use Carl Ross' positional match as a determining factor when assessing hunting rifle accuracy. I do this with each and every rifle I own. Just because my AR15 rifles shoot sub moa 10 shot groups from the bench, doesn't mean squat, unless they also score good in that positional match...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Marlin 1895 45-70 shoots MOA at 100 yds. Not that it needs to for any reason. But it does.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
At least MOA at 100.

1Minute
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The purpose of a rifle is to place a bullet in the vitals. So yes, accuracy, with an appropriate bullet is the most important. And by accuracy, its hitting the point of aim. Groups, not at the point of aim aren't very useful. But I'll start with a package that fits well, feels right, isn't too heavy, is reliable etc.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like mine to be an inch or less, an inch high at a hundred. The longest shot I have anymore is about 275, and it’s downhill.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
This one is accurate enough for me. 10 shots in very gusty 40mph crosswinds, 100 yards. 1982 Ruger M77.

[Linked Image]

I'll take that everyday and twice on Sunday.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lightweight( sub 8lb) big game rifle: 1.5 MOA.
Any other scoped, moderate weight hunting rifle: <1.5 MOA.
Anything for longer range work: 1.0 MOA or better yet, 0.5 MOA.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know that a 1.5” group is good enough for a whitetail rifle. Even a 2.0” group will work on deer or elk in most cases. But I won’t have one very long if that’s the best it will do. I spend less than a month per year hunting, and the rest of the year shooting at paper or steel. I want my rifles to shoot less than MOA groups, and 1/2 MOA is preferred from the bench at 100 yds. When that “less than a month” rolls around, I have all the confidence in the world that my rifle is up to the task.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a hard time with bug holing rifles that "don't fit", "don't balance", "are a pound too heavy", or have "bad triggers"

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’m a lot more impressed with a rifle (shooter) that can consistently hit 2 MOA targets out to 600-700 yards or so... than I am with one that shoots 100-200 yard 1/2 MOA groups “all day”.

It’d be a much more constructive conversation.... if we discussed “accuracy” and “group size”... by how big a target you could actually hit 3-5 times straight. There’d be a lot less of this sub-MOA talk... that’s for sure.... especially once you move away from benches and rests. Maybe that’s for a different thread.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I look for consistency. In 3, 5, 10-shot groups, whatever I'm doing. I want to duplicate results and prove the load near and far.

At 100 yards:
<=1" groups for medium/big game rifles

<=5/8" groups for varmint rifles

Less is always better but if I could achieve the above results with a rifle I really liked, it would be sufficient for my use. Anything larger or signs of inconsistent performance in a modern bolt action rifle and it would be sent down the road regardless of how much I liked the rig.

Also, I usually have an idea of what the rifle will do in pretty short order. After confirming the rifle is properly assembled(so there is nothing mechanical that will hamper results) I won't dick around shooting 100+ rounds for load work up to make my decision. If a given rifle is that fussy from the get-go, I don't want it.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Id be impressed if I had 600-700 yards to shoot. Cut the cord at 300 yards and not much matters.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Id be impressed if I had 600-700 yards to shoot. Cut the cord at 300 yards and not much matters.

That has a lot to do with it. It seems our friends from more wide open spaces value accuracy more than those of us who consider a 200 yard shot a long one.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 01/10/18.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Accurate hunting rifles are a dime a dozen. Finding Accurate shooters is entirely something different. Hint wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I’m a lot more impressed with a rifle (shooter) that can consistently hit 2 MOA targets out to 600-700 yards or so... than I am with one that shoots 100-200 yard 1/2 MOA groups “all day”.

It’d be a much more constructive conversation.... if we discussed “accuracy” and “group size”... by how big a target you could actually hit 3-5 times straight. There’d be a lot less of this sub-MOA talk... that’s for sure.... especially once you move away from benches and rests. Maybe that’s for a different thread.

I see where you’re coming from and agree for the most part, but to me a more important benchmark than being able to maintain field accuracy to 6 or 700 yards is seeing a shooter be able to get in position, get on target, and make a decent shot out to 2 or 300 yards NOW.

That ability to make a decent shot when under a time hack is pretty important for a lot of different types of hunting, and is something lots of folks don’t really practice. Not taking away from the longer distance shot, because that’s nice to see in its own right.

That being said, I completely agree with you - field accuracy is much more important than groups off a bench.

Plus if all a guy does is shoot off a bench, he doesn’t really know how the rifle itself will act from field positions. For example, I’ve seen rifles that changed POI significantly when a Harris bipod was attached to the forend, seen rifles that changed POI off of a hard rest (like a tree branch), seen rifles that changed POI when a shooting sling was used, and some of these were free floated guns that looked like they should’ve worked fine....... I wouldn’t have noticed those things if I’d done all my practicing by shooting groups off sandbags on the bench. I’m getting off topic....

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not really off topic, but true. 99% of the animals I've shot have been from a sitting position on the ground, elbows on knees. Actually never killed an animal prone. Except a groundhog about 30 years ago.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
my rifles have to deliver a 3 shot group @ 100yds < 1" and with either a core-lokt,accubond, or partition. i'm not into target bullets period. i'm a hunter that enjoys accurate rifles above all else. fit/finish come in a close second. but, if a rifle won't deliver sub 1" groups at 100yds they WILL go down the road. there simply is no place in my safe for inaccurate rifles...................period!

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
771 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 86 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.