Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

Eh. I can't find a picture. But I have a remington 514 that's pretty old.
-Jake

I grew up with a 514, and it was my first rifle, killed my first "big game" with it.....fox squirrel....guess it got me hooked.

i always watch for those old 5oo series remingtons when nosing around at the gunshows & pawn shops, have a few of them now including 510's, 512's, 513's 514's, and newer variants including 581's, 582's, 541's, and 592's...

bought a 510 last weekend at a local gunshow that someones had refinished & checkered, date stamp says it was born September of 1945, doesnt seem to be much collector interest in them around here, so they're usually very reasonable in price.

============================================================

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
[quote=PennDog
FyrepowerX you weren’t kidding when you told me you liked to squirrel hunt and nice .22s😄! That’s quite a collection - one question where did you get that squirrel “carrier” - I like it.
PennDog

Eric..a few yeas ago my brother in law met a guy at a gunshow who was making paracord lanyards for duck calls, slings, etc.......the guy was also making a similar carrier for duck hunters, so he had the fellow make me up a squirrel carrier...very handy!

[/quote]
Interesting idea. Might have to make one of those.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You have a lot of nice rifles!

In the 27 years that I've lived in Nebraska, I have yet to encounter another tree squirrel hunter in either Kansas or Nebraska, but have run into a couple in northwestern Missouri. Among the things that I like about tree squirrel hunting is that the seasons tend to be very long, in Nebraska it runs for six months, from August 1st thru January 31st, and tree squirrel hunting is typically done in a spot and stalk mode in, or on the edge, of timber, so it is good practice for still-hunting whitetails.

Since 2007, I have done the majority of my tree squirrel hunting with a couple of 17HM2s, Marlin 917M2/917M2S and Savage MarkIIBVSS. I recently bought an Anschutz 1502 and am hoping to take it out once before the tree squirrel season ends.

I was surprised to see pictures of grey squirrels, as I don't recall seeing any species except for fox squirrels in Kansas, Nebraska, and northwestern Missouri.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Nice pussy!

(Sorry, been watching Are You Being Served a lot lately.)

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
[Linked Image]

Nice pussy!

(Sorry, been watching Are You Being Served a lot lately.)

He is right though, and I am unanimous in that.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I am so envious of you guys in the mid-west when it comes to squirrel season. Ours in PA starts mid-October and runs to Deer Season (Late November/early December) then opens again after Christmas and runs through February (this second season is typically very cold and squirrels are not terribly active though).....so in actuality we typically get about three weeks of prime weather for them and of course with work one is limited on the days you can actually hunt. Oh well when I get a chance I take it! I started my squirrel hunting in the mid-late seventies with a Remington 572 and a Bushnell 3-7X scope......it didn't take long until I got a Remington 541s and a Leupold 6X Compact. Since then I have amassed a plethora of very accurate sporters including 541s, Remington 40X sporter, the 510 series (including the Nylon 11 and 12 - they don't count laugh ), Remington 12 and 34s, Winchester 52 sporters (original and Japanese copies), Mausers (350s, Mm410s and 201s), Coopers. Anschutz, CZs, Kleinguenthers, Mossbergs (140K, 42, 46, 51, 151, etc...), Marlins (especially 1897 and 39s), Winchester 9422 & 1885, Stevens 44s, etc...... It just would seem right if it wasn't blued steel and wood wink . I do have a Ruger 77/22 stainless/synthetic (with maple inserts though!!) and a Marlin 882s for my foul weather squirrel rifles. Keep the pictures coming they are great to see!

PennDog

Gerald I'll have to get one of those lanyards made!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All of my rimfires are walnut stocked blued or SS rifles. Marlin 39A 's, Ruger M77/22's, Ruger 10/22's

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by BigSkyGuy
Here is a Ruger No. 1AB in a 22 Mag.

Shoots little clover leafs! grin

[Linked Image]

I'd love to hear about the build on that one!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only have two, CZ 452 and Win M69 A . Winchester is my favorite.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Nope. Don’t even own a plastic rifle. And certainly not on my small bores.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ky221; 01/12/18.
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Ky221

[Linked Image]
[/URL]

nice looking CZ, and i'm digging that knife in the pic; whats are the particulars on that blade?

Best-

G~

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks buddy

That is a Charlie May Bobwhite. Polished red micarta, white liners, stainless pins. In d2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by drover
FyrepowrX, Great looking fiddleback on the CZ 452.
What is the rifle just under the CZ pic, the one with the nice fiddleback and fluted stainless barrel. It is very nice looking also, although I bet it cost a few dollars more than the CZ.
drover

That one is a Kimber Classic Varmint, in .17Mach2...
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks. From the stock styling I thought it was a Kimber but wasn't sure. It is really nice looking.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing but.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
You have a lot of nice rifles!

In the 27 years that I've lived in Nebraska, I have yet to encounter another tree squirrel hunter in either Kansas or Nebraska, but have run into a couple in northwestern Missouri. Among the things that I like about tree squirrel hunting is that the seasons tend to be very long, in Nebraska it runs for six months, from August 1st thru January 31st, and tree squirrel hunting is typically done in a spot and stalk mode in, or on the edge, of timber, so it is good practice for still-hunting whitetails.

Since 2007, I have done the majority of my tree squirrel hunting with a couple of 17HM2s, Marlin 917M2/917M2S and Savage MarkIIBVSS. I recently bought an Anschutz 1502 and am hoping to take it out once before the tree squirrel season ends.

I was surprised to see pictures of grey squirrels, as I don't recall seeing any species except for fox squirrels in Kansas, Nebraska, and northwestern Missouri.

Fox squirrels like open country, like a few trees out in a pasture, or alongside a creek. Greys tend to stay in larger patches of timber, or big patches of woods, at least, that's how it is in N/C Missouri, where I grew up. If I wanted a few fox squirrels, I had to run down to the timber along the creek, or hit up that big oak tree up on top of the hill. If I wanted greys, I just hopped the fence to the woodlot just north of the house. N/W Missouri is really open country, so it doesn't surprise me that you've seen mostly fox squirrels there. Here in Kentucky, you rarely see a fox squirrel at all, same with Indiana, fox squirrels are downright rare.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Fox squirrels like open country, like a few trees out in a pasture, or alongside a creek. Greys tend to stay in larger patches of timber, or big patches of woods, at least, that's how it is in N/C Missouri, where I grew up. If I wanted a few fox squirrels, I had to run down to the timber along the creek, or hit up that big oak tree up on top of the hill. If I wanted greys, I just hopped the fence to the woodlot just north of the house. N/W Missouri is really open country, so it doesn't surprise me that you've seen mostly fox squirrels there. Here in Kentucky, you rarely see a fox squirrel at all, same with Indiana, fox squirrels are downright rare.

Same way here....my favorite squirrel woods happens to be a an area that is around a thousand acres of big mature oak/pecan timber with varying levels of undergrowth; however it sits right alongside some open meadows with scattered timber...as such, we get quite a few of both foxes & greys, and now and then we see one of the small red squirrels (about half the size of a big grey), but the reds tend to stay way back in the thick stuff.

on warm sunny days in the winter, we'll spend most of the time sneaking around the open edges & doing a spot & stalk to catch them soaking up the sun....when doing so, i try to pack around one of the mach2's or one of the HMR's, as shots are longer...

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have had several walnut/steel .22 rifles.
Have grown to like plastic when bumps come along.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This thread is full of beautiful rimfires. Thanks to all for sharing.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't realize that there were any grays west of the Mississippi. I though the Mississippi was too wide a barrier for them to cross, but I'd never seen the Mississippi iced over until I crossed over it on I-80 on 01/04/18.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

391 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.