Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
MM
I bought my CPM REX M4 from Jantz. Didn't see it anywhere else.
Running at .225" thick and will require a bit of flat grinding.
For smaller quantities, the supply houses often have std sizes cheaper than going direct and paying setup and process fees.
We will have to compare results when get some knives done.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I get mine from alpha knife supply, they have a bunch.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Not familiar with them.
Wow, they do have a selection of sizes.
Do you also use Peters H.T.???
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use peter’s it’s literally 40 minutes from my house. I get all my steel from alpha , tons of selection on a bunch of different steel . Good prices and they always ship quick.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
AKS is good people!

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Since folks hafta hunt, I am providing a shortcut (since I just went to find them on the interweb . . .
https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/shop/

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I looked at their web site yesterday.
I called them to get some info and clarify some questions.

I decided I wanted to make my first purchase from them and wanted to
talk to someone with steel product knowledge
--such as what is the reason/difference in some offer and .146" and at .152"

I was told that no sales were taken over the phone and all my questions
should be directed to the web site.
The only specific info I did get was that they "get M4 from a variety of manufacturers".
Not the kind of response I get form the suppliers I currently use.

Doesn't mean I won't use them sometime in the future, but....
Tim

Albert Einstein

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's a first for me to hear. I do all phone orders because I had a glitch in their website which would not let me put Oklahoma in the order form. I just write down item numbers and give that yo them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same here , usually order over the phone.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well the lady I talked with said absolutely no phone orders.?????

I may try again at a later date. I am all set for now from Sheffield and Jantz.
Tim

Albert Einstein

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not ordered anything in about 3 months so maybe something has changed. Next order will be the M4 though.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
So the blanks are surface ground down to .160" thick.
They drill quite easy for fastener hole locations.
Shaping the profile seems to grind really easy.

I have not started on the bevel grinds yet.
I am doing 8 blades flat ground and my nephew is doing 2 blades hollow ground.

Bos H.T. is going to get me 62.5 Rc when I am done with the bevel grinding.

If I do more, I will try to buy from Alpha at a thickness close to what I want to end up using.
I will need to be able to talk with someone knowledgeable there which I could not do previously.
They have a lot of sizes and thicknesses, but told me they buy M4 from several mfrs. and did
not know what the process or how accurate the surface grinding was to make their flat stock or if
they could verify the Mfr of the specific bar.
I will only buy Crucible made M4 steel.

I the weather warms up above freezing I will start on the bevel grinding.

Sam. I have one blank that will be just the nuts for your "semi skinner". I am stretching one out longer for myself.
I have one set of greenish camel scales that are a near match (I believe) for the knives you have.
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and the handle should be 4 3/4 inches. smile

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M

4 3/4"??????? Is that a change I did not get????

Your pm said different, " For this type knife, the handle does not need to be as long as I usually go for. 3 3/4 inch would be fine"
------so it will be less than 4".
Too late to add steel.

Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
laughing. brain fart Tim. carry on.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tim,
It seems most makers using M4 are going 64+ Rc? Why did you choose to go lower with yours?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Crucible rates it for 63-65 Rc.
The furnace a Bos HT (according to Paul) max temp will come a few degrees short of able to hit more than 63.5 (possibly 64).
I shaped and ground two blade blanks that were 63.5 when I rockwelled them and that seemed just fine. They ,led me to this project.
If I end up feeling that I need another 1 to 1.5 points when these are done, I will look to go higher but doubt I will need it.
We will see.
Tim

Albert Einstein

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My nephew, son, Sam and myself will be working with a couple of the finished knives.
I do not plan on doing a destruct test, but do plan on extensive use to see how the edge retention is.
When I get the knives done, I may have one more for someone to put through its paces.
They will be hunter and skinner patterns with some sort of drop point front end.
Sam gives them a pretty good work out, so we will see.

Those blades that are being heat treated to 65 Rc are of what general shape and purpose of use??????

I miss spoke above when I posted 62.5 Rc as the target. S/B 63.5, maybe to 64.
Not sure what a point or so difference makes at the end of the spectrum.
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tim,
That would have been my next question, in your experience how much difference would one or two Rc points really make? Once a blade is to that level I'm guessing the difference between 63.5 and 65 Rc would be pretty negligible.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
With a Rc value in the mid 50s, a couple points is noticeable if you are paying attention.
Not sure how noticeable a point or two will be in the low/mid 60s with this or any steel that
can be treated up to the mid 60s.

With 154 steel, I noticed a little difference when going from 59 to 61----I think.
Sometimes your mind takes over and your perception is jaded.
In field use, IF I did not know which blade was at which Rc, I might not be able to get it right more than 50% of the time.

In my opinion/experience the "differences" touted in the many variations of steel chemistry/performance are only readily
noticeable with lab equipment and not so obvious in field use.
But hey...........There are a lot of companies that make "Kleenex" and without the label who would know which?????
Tim

Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
208 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.