Any thoughts?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Both were good programs when I was young. Helped my brother get into college.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was in 4-H and found it to be a very worthwhile experience.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Poland Plow Boys (real township and club name) met at the home of Lyle Crocodile (no names are real) for their monthly meeting. Glisenda Johnderson gave an enlightening talk on organizing chickens into a bell choir. Hernia Anderquist and her mother served a delicious lunch of groat clusters and raw milk.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was in both. Got my first feel of the female anatomy on a 4-H hayride, maybe a half second's worth. Both are only as good as the effort you want to put forth. My son was in FFA, and now so is his oldest daughter. Girls in FFA......wasn't going to happen back when I was in school. But now, if not for the girls, the local FFA chapter would be almost non-existent.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"There is a fire in the waste basket; what should we do?" "Well, we need to proceed through Robert's Rules of Order to determine that."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was in both. Had a great time. Learned to make decisions, and back them up, giving reasons on the livestock judging team. Had my daughters in them as well. Youngest Daughter received the American FFA Degree. I took her to the National FFA convention in Lexington Ky . She was on livestock judging teams in 4-H an FFA. She and won a national judging contest, when in college. She was recruited by Texas A&M. They are great learning experiences. We need more young people in these clubs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Both are worthwhile, and a good way for youngsters to learn responsibility as well as explore agriculture as a possible career.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went to state a couple times for judging dairy in 4-H. Joined FFA in high school and again qualified for state in both 4-H and FFA. There was some controversy between the leaders as to who I was going to judge for, but I opted for entering for 4-H for the last time.

I remember the whole team piling into the back of a pickup to travel across the state to another competition. They told us to just bring a pillow to sit on for the ride.

Fun (and not so fun) times!

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My kids are in 4H. I like the program a lot. It is even better when kids, parents, and leaders remember that 4H is about helping kids grow into responsible adults, not just winning shows and ribbons.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
My kids were in 4H here. It was great for them. The things they learned are life long lessons. Wife and I were leaders for some programs and barn supervisors at the fair.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The lessons my kids learned from 4H helped them to go to college debt free. Leadership, inner personal skills, raising and caring for an animal, dealing with the public and doing community projects were just some of the "stuff" they learned.
However the program is only as good as the parent volunteers - if you want a great learning experience for you kids be prepared to be part of the program by volunteering and taking that responsibility seriously.
Both turn out some outstanding youth - well worth the time and effort.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are both excellent programs and absolutely worth the time/effort. I was very involved in FFA in High School and it had a huge impact on my life. My daughters are both involved in 4-H, and my oldest was just elected to County Office. This allows her to attend leadership training, take trips to the state Capitol to see government in action, and begin to learn about leading people. I'm a supporter of both. Sure beats sitting at home playing video games.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was in both programs. Raised chickens in 4-H and showed them at the county fair. Didn't win anything, but it was a good experience. IIRC, that was about the 5th or 6th grade.

In FFA during high school. Raised hogs and cattle. Won several awards and would recommend it to anyone.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Several of my grandkids are in 4-H. Great program!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was in both. Was in 4H for 10 or 11 years and FFA for 3 years. I think both are very worth while for kids to be involved in.
I recently donate all my trophies that I won over the years. They were just collecting dust.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When we moved to Boerne my youngest joined the 22 RF 3 Position group, the Skeet group and the Archery group. Every one did an incredible job coaching him. He thoroughly enjoyed it all and is the one that sorts his elder brothers when shooting a rifle. "Find your natural position" rang loud from the local rancher that taught his rimfire work. Sadly the latter passed a couple of years ago.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Went with Postoak Cowboy and picked up baby chicks at the 4-H office this morning. Least two of the grandkids got their work cut out for em now!!! laugh

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I was FFA

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kids have been very active 4Hers for about 5 years now. My kids show cattle and hogs quite competitively in the region. Daughter is in 8th grade now and in FFA also. Just competed as an FFAer in a statewide livestock judging contest this past weekend.

Lots of opportunities in both organizations. Daughter is going to New Zealand this summer on a 4H exchange program. Wonderful opportunity for a young kid that has only ever been to Canada.

Montana MOFO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.