Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I don't know if Quebec could legally secede from Canada, but I doubt that they would succeed if they tried and I would hope that the residents of Quebec would remember that they are Canadians who are free to immigrate to France if their French heritage is critical to their very being.

.............I seem to remember big business threatening to move out of Quebec if this ever happened. Bombardier being one of the companies to mention this threat.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
260 rem seems you dont know even your own history ...

wasnt a french that help between 1777 and 1778 la fayette if my memory deserves me well ... and it was only 4 000 frenchs that heps .... so the french bash is not good sometimes .... and it was less than 20 years after 1759 ...

so it seems that between 1759 and 1803 your memory had some holes ...
don t know why ????!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude, if your going to converse on a site that uses the english language it would really help if you learned it before you spoke, your jibberish is really hard to understand.....no offense

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I see on your other post you ask where my family is from well Ireland and Scotland but that was in the 1700,s so I aint goin nowhere

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Dude, if your going to converse on a site that uses the english language it would really help if you learned it before you spoke, your jibberish is really hard to understand.....no offense

no offense ... lol seems sometimes when people want to understand what i wrote it seems easier .... !!!

sometimes even the so native english spokers use abreviations that are not easy to understand ...

tell me which senses you didnt follow on my sentences ... ill translate .... but pretty sure you dont need this ???!!!

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by gunbug
I see on your other post you ask where my family is from well Ireland and Scotland but that was in the 1700,s so I aint goin nowhere

are you taking this personnaly ??? did you ask me to go where i came from ??? your post here was off topic and concern only ones who didnt accept immigrants ??? are you one of these ???!!!
and if you re happy in canada as i m dont need to go somewhere else ???!!
read all i post not two sentences ...
my english is not good but undertandable or at least my last post lol ???!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quebec is largely a cesspool of unwanted terds.

Last edited by bushrat; 02/15/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

.........Semper Fi, white, wetback.......

Old Toot
Hey! How did the US Marines get drug into this??

Last edited by akpls; 02/15/07.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, I'm pretty well versed in U.S. history, in particular, and World history, in general, and try to see it for what it is with as little influence of my own bias as possible.

If you read what I wrote, I was specific that the French influence in North American politics ended in Canada with Montcalm's defeat on the Plains of Abraham in 1759 and that their political influence over the rest of continental North American politics ended with the Louisiana Purchase in 1803.

I'm thankful that the French helped the U.S. gain its independence from the U.K., even if their help came more from self-serving motives rather than from any altruistic ones. After all, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I would hope that the French people are equally thankful that the U.S. helped liberate them from German occupation in both 1918 and 1945. Whatever debt the U.S. people owed to the French people, I believe that it has been paid back several times over, with interest.

Today, my biggest problem with the French people is that their leaders cling to a delusion of grandeur about France's status as a nation, even though it currently exerts little influence on anything except the price of champagne, goose liver pate, and truffles.

OTOH, I think that the French language and culture, as practiced in Quebec, gives the Province a certain quaint quality that is useful for drawing in U.S. tourist dollars, but it would seem to be a significant obstacle for those people who aren�t fully and functionally bilingual. Face it, English is the primary language of commerce in North America and French is a distant 3rd, falling far behind Spanish in terms of importance. Except for the common language, most Canadian Francophones, such as yourself, probably have less in common with the majority of the citizens of metropolitan France than they do with the majority of Anglophone Canadians, since they are all Canadians 1st and hyphen-Canadians 2nd.

BTW, I was raised in New Hampshire, about equal distance between Montreal and Boston, so I got my NL fix via the Expos and my AL fix via the Red Sox. I also have relatives in Quebec, some of whom, through inter-marriage, have become Francophones with sir names like Dion, LeBrun, LeDue, LeMay, Plamondon, Richard, and Roy. There are many things that I like about Quebec, Habitant Sour Pickles being 1 that I think of often.

Jeff

K
kutenay Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
It's a pleasure to read posts from someone who is both erudite and articulate,; your analysis of the Quebec situation is largely correct with one or two exceptions. The actual surrender of "Nouvelle France" was not in 1759, it was when the Marquis de Vaudreille signed the capitulation at Montreal, Sept. 8, 1760, ending the long and very productive French colonization and exploration in what is now Canada. We won, but, the French ARE a founding people here and I greatly repect loyal Franco-phone Canadians.

The French have and do influence continental North American politics due to their never-ending interference in Canadian internal affairs concerning Quebec; this, in turn, has ramifications throughout the continent as the threat of separation DOES influence major business decisions such as the removal of corporate headquarters and even Canadian military deployments.

An example here is the re-positioning of the former Canadian Airborne Regiment at Petawawa, Ont. in the late '70s. They were moved from Edmonton, AB. in order to possibly deal with an insurrection in P.Q. as this was at a time of extreme political unrest there due to Rene Levesque and other B.Q. traitors. I knew quite a few CanForce guys at the time and this was common gossip among the active-duty guys....who WANTED to kick some separatiste azz. This regiment was later disbanded by Prime Minister Chretien due to his hatred of anything that was "Anglais"; the excuse for doing so was some drivel about whacking some thieves on the Somalia mission, typical political BS.

I think that the Quebec situation will be resolved by mid-century as Canadians come to see the advantages of national unity more clearly and reject any form of special treatment for ethnic minorities or cultural groups. While some Quebecers may entertain fantasies about a French "nation" in North America and the Froggies may continue to tacitly support this, WE Canadians WILL prevent any attempts to breakup our country by ANY means necessary, including military action.

A number of my ancestors, including Captain Hughes, a forbearer of Canada;s WWI Minister of Militia, Major-General Sir Sam Hughes, who was my Great-Grandmother's first cousin, fought on The Plains of Abraham, another was an officer with the 78th Fraser Highlanders. Canadians like me have NO bloody intention of seeing OUR nation disintegrate and, as our first PM, Sir John Alexander MacDonald, said about the traitor Francophone Louis Riel, "Riel wants a fight and, by God, we are going to give it to him"....WE WON then, AGAIN and, by God, WE will give them a fight and win this time, too!!!!

Canada for Canadians, keep the faith with Britain, the USA, Australia and New Zealand, our TRUE friends and allies!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I support Quebec independance. They can take everything they won on the Plains of Abraham.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh boy, here we go again.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by medved

no offense ... lol seems sometimes when people want to understand what i wrote it seems easier .... !!!

sometimes even the so native english spokers use abreviations that are not easy to understand ...

tell me which senses you didnt follow on my sentences ... ill translate .... but pretty sure you dont need this ???!!!

What is a "spoker"?? My point exactly...

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Again, nah it never ends here in Canada. Just like talking about the weather and hating liberals, discussing Quebec moving onto their idea of greener pastures is a respected hobby most days.

K
kutenay Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have always found it ironic that many of the same Quebecers who insist that Quebec is a "nation" and demand "sovereignity" have NO difficulty with insisting that Labrador which is part of Newfoundland be annexed as a part of Quebec. They ALSO insist that they can/will continue to use Canadian currency AND will be protected by the Canadian Armed Forces......it is to laugh!!!!

Grouseman has EXACTLY the right idea and, if any Quebecers want a "re-match", well, I have no problems shooting traitors, eh! Fugem, Quebec is a joke in international affairs, the French despise tourists from there and treat them like dirt and they would NEVER succeed as an independent nation....we are saddled with the pathetic pricks and this ONLY refers to those who are "separatistes".

I wonder who would win a scrap between a bunch of Newfies and some "pur laine" Froggies...........

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think the Newfies would have a say in that matter and it would not be a very positive outcome for Quebec. I can see the Newfies lined up along the "border" with all sorts of "defensive apparatus". I don't know too many who hold Quebec near and dear to their hearts. Having lived there, I know a few!
I say, let them go, taking with them the full Quebec share of Canada's national debt. They can figure out their own currency and defence force. The Inuit as well as the other Native groups in Quebec will also need to have a say in their future as they were there before the French. I don't think there is much love there either. Gonna leave a pretty small piece of property for all the Quebecers to crowd onto. Now, I didn't bring up the Natives to "stir the pot" but just to indicate to some of the folks from elsewhere that there are a number of issues involved in Quebec leaving is all. Native groups don't seem to get a lot of mention when folks start to talk separation. The Separatists seem to think that the Natives will happily follow them. I just don't see that. When/if it happens, it is gonna be a he** of a mess and I hope Canada can survive it. The Euro leaders esp France, certainly need to BTFOUT!!

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kutenay
I wonder who would win a scrap between a bunch of Newfies and some "pur laine" Froggies...........

Based on how the Newfoundland regiments did in WW1 and II, I have no doubt as to the outcome. I'd put those boys up against any in the world...

John

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by medved

What is a "spoker"?? My point exactly...

sorry i made a mystake it was "spoken" to be read is that the only word you didnt follow ???!!!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by troutfly
I think the Newfies would have a say in that matter and it would not be a very positive outcome for Quebec. I can see the Newfies lined up along the "border" with all sorts of "defensive apparatus". I don't know too many who hold Quebec near and dear to their hearts. Having lived there, I know a few!
I say, let them go, taking with them the full Quebec share of Canada's national debt. They can figure out their own currency and defence force. The Inuit as well as the other Native groups in Quebec will also need to have a say in their future as they were there before the French. I don't think there is much love there either. Gonna leave a pretty small piece of property for all the Quebecers to crowd onto. Now, I didn't bring up the Natives to "stir the pot" but just to indicate to some of the folks from elsewhere that there are a number of issues involved in Quebec leaving is all. Native groups don't seem to get a lot of mention when folks start to talk separation. The Separatists seem to think that the Natives will happily follow them. I just don't see that. When/if it happens, it is gonna be a he** of a mess and I hope Canada can survive it. The Euro leaders esp France, certainly need to BTFOUT!!

troufly you re right about the natives but hope they arent listen you too loud and dont follow their quebecer brothers and ask that around the others Canada provinces especially Alberta (including oil fields and BC of course) ...!!! easy to ask it somewhere and not somewhere else ... im for one Canada .... not for a different treatment depending where you re living ... ???!!!!
dont know what happens suddenly about this specific speech on Quebec on this part of forum ??? is the elections coming soon there make you anxious ???!!!

about labrador was not that part of quebec given by london in 1927 by a private counsil ???? any canadians still accepting what london says not pretty sure ???!!!

K
kutenay Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
The Newfoundlanders in WWI were actually HORRIFIED by the Canadians, due to the strict Roman Catholic upbringing that most of them had and the legendary fightin', drinkin' 'n' fornicatin' behaviour of Canucks.

They WERE good soldiers and brave as the debacle at Beaumont-Hamel demonstrated, to our enduring sorrow. There,on July 1st, 1916, the first day of the Battle of the Somme, the Royal Newfoundland Regiment attacked in dense fog into massed machine gun fire without faltering; of the 801 officers and men of the battalion, some 60-70 stood to the colours at "rollcall" the following morning, the rest of them lay in the mud of Flanders and they lie there yet......

However, the greatest volunteer participation among Canadian or other Dominion forces per capita as well as the largest number of Victoria Crosses won was by British Columbians and our losses exceeded those of other Provinces to the extent that a number of our battalions were re-designated as Ontario units due to being nearly annihilated. This was the case with the 54th Kootenay Battalion from my home town.

I was raised by those men, many missing limbs, who served in this heroic unit; this may account for my unwavering Canadian patriotism and willingness to fight for MY country, no matter who is stupid enough to start trouble here.....like foreigners who support gun-banning non-traditional immigrant politicians, Quebec separatism or Communism.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

621 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,948
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.