W
Anyone use the lighter gauge wire?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have when I was going to electrify it, or use it around the horse pasture. Otherwise, I want something heavier.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I use high tensile wire down here with good success.

Being a humid environment, that barbed wire lasts many times longer than standard barbed wire.

Usually the gaucho type high tensile wire will outlast the standard green T-Posts. The T-Posts will rust off at ground level before the wire even starts to show corrosion.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I bought one roll of the light wire years back. It likes the shape it starts out in. A wire gate is a slinky of sorts. I am thinking of using some of the Gaucho wire on some rad fence, it's some cheaper, and as you said, the finish wears well.

Two barb, or four Barry?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We used to call it "Got'ya" wire. Harder to handle that regular barbed wire. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
It looks as though I'd need to get to a Tractor Supply store to find the Bekaert brand.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I use high tensile wire down here with good success.

Being a humid environment, that barbed wire lasts many times longer than standard barbed wire.

Usually the gaucho type high tensile wire will outlast the standard green T-Posts. The T-Posts will rust off at ground level before the wire even starts to show corrosion.

^^^^This! Old Son says same thing. Only wire you can get 30 years out of that wont rot away!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I bought one roll of the light wire years back. It likes the shape it starts out in. A wire gate is a slinky of sorts. I am thinking of using some of the Gaucho wire on some rad fence, it's some cheaper, and as you said, the finish wears well.

Two barb, or four Barry?

I get either at the same price per roll. But, I like the two barb wire.

One good thing about that wire is that you can stretch the piss out of it. And it's not as susceptible to breaking with temperature swings.

The ranch I had in the mountains in NM had regular barbed wire, and I would spend the summers fixing broken wire that happened when temps dropped, and the wire contracted and the weak spots broke.... Well, the elk weren't helping ether... wink They just plow through the fence anywhere they want to go.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've used the 4 point Gaucho for a top strand (super nasty). Put it up 5 years ago, and still tight as a drum. I also used another Bekaert product that was 14 gauge, that had the higher quality galvanizing, that has also stayed very tight, for the lower 4 strands. Gaucho is like 15-1/2 gauge (smaller). The "standard" barbed wire is like 12 to 12-1/2 gauge, and the galvanizing is nowhere near as good. Not as much of a problem in my dry climate, but certainly a problem in moist ones.

The main reason "fence guys" don't like Gaucho is because it has more "memory" (will coil back up and get ya) and the fact that it will break more readily when stretching. That's NOT because it is weaker. It's simply because it's not as "stretchy". Standard 12 gauge will stretch and stretch. Gaucho will stretch, get super tight, and then, with a little more tension, it will snap. The key with Gaucho is knowing when to stop stretching.

The stuff I put up 5 years ago is just as tight as the day I put it up, and the galvanized looks almost like new.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
This! ^^^^. Very true!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
dont catch a strand of gaucho in the shredder.. you aint cutting it out with pliers

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ScrapIron
dont catch a strand of gaucho in the shredder.. you aint cutting it out with pliers

Now and then I do get some of that.

But I shred a lot..

I've not had the shredder do anything but turn it and regular barbwire into little sections of barbwire.

Did get a mess of it in my tractor tiller when putting in a guy's food plot though. Stopped it dead. Killed the tractor before I could get the PTO off.

About 2 hours with wire cutters later, I was back in business. frown

I hate running over bull panels that have grown over with grass... That'll get your attention when shredding. But, it's more noise than anything. Sure rolls up those bull panels into a jumble of twisted metal though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
What is a bull panel Barry?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
panels are as much fun to cut out as a tire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My only knowledge about barb wire involves catching my butt on it when crawling under as a kid and catching my crotch on it when climbing over when I was growed.
That and the fact that it can be hard on bird dogs.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What is a bull panel Barry?

These, Richard.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h

I'm sure they call them different names. That's just what we call them here.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
That is what I thought Barry, we talked about those on your cool weather project thread. We use lots of those, and many have become scrap. If a 2x6 is put at the top, and middle, they last a lot longer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cattle panel here.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A 4 1/2" angle grinder and a cutting wheel is the best way to get a cattle panel out of a brush hog, that I have found. Better to not run over one. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Two barb, or four Barry?

A wire gate is not a gate at all! It is a death trap awaiting the unwary. To compare it to a slinky is unfair; a slinky, while one of the most totally useless objects ever devised by man, at least isn't malevolent.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (280fan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.