Print Thread
Hop To
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Tell me about fishing, what I have heard referred to as the Nature Coast? I will be taking a little jaunt down that way this summer and wouldn't mind wetting a line. I would be limited to inshore; I could always rent a kayak.

At any rate, I will be a stone's throw from Weeki Wachee. I have done a little reading, and it seems there are some brackish rivers/inlets
/bays in the area: The Crystal River, Mud River, Rocky Creek, Hernando Beach, among others.

Anyone down that way? Suggestions? What saltwater species could I chase? Tackle recommendations?

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
GB2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When are you coming? I am 20 minutes from Weeki Wachee.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You have just discovered one of God's little secrets. smile
One of the nicest areas of Florida, if you ask me.

Bring a couple 12-17 lb spinning rods and you'll be set for just about any species there, unless you're targeting tarpon. You'll have to beef up your tackle, if that's the case.

Last edited by local_dirt; 06/29/17.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Work the spoil islands outside Yankee town with a paddle tail on a 3/8 oz jig head... If the fish are there, they'll bite..

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good advice. If you want to have more variety hireing a guide and doing a charter is a good way to go. The area has a lot of very shallow flat and lots of mangroves. It can be daunting to figure out just what and where. Charters are about 300$ for full day and its rare if you dont wind up being impressed. 3to 10# redfish up in the creeks are really fun since youre usually sight fishing in 1/2 to 3 or 4 feet. If you think you want to try a guide let me know, I can recommend a couple that are honest, effective and trustworthy. Rogn

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live in Homosassa and the best place to go fishing is the area between Homosassa and Yankee town to the north. There are plenty of good motels on US 19 [ the main drag] and plenty of access points to the gulf. If you are bringing a boat, there are good free boat ramps on the Homosassa and Crystal river and up by yankeetown and Inglis. Redfish, Trout, Snapper, and others are plentiful and easy to catch.
Go to Myfwc.com and you can find out everything you need to know.
Medium tackle is plenty fine. D.O.A shrimp work well as does live bait.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
464 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 46 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.