Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12365782 10/31/17
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Looking to beef up my optics mounting set-up on a M70 375 H&H. Looking at either Burris Zee or Warne Permanent rings. I like the recoil key of the warne, but the zee rings appear better quality. Thoughts? Whats everyone else using on a weaver style base?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Leupold QRW works for me.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had old school Weaver lows in Warne bases on my stainless M70 375 H&H. A couple of dunks in SE Alaska waters rusted them to no end. I now have Talley LW's on the rifle.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Split top Talley rings would work well for heavy recoil. Granted, you'd need to get Talley bases as well ($35 or so).

I used them on a 375 I used to own, my current .45-70 guide gun, and a future 375 will get a pair after it's done being built.

Pain in the butt to get mounted, but they hold well once set up.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Have had seven .375 rifles, all CRF and most P-64-70s, used different mounts and since just selling a very choice P-64 in a Rimrock handle, just have my final "bear buster" left, a 20" sts Classic barreled, Micky stocked carbine on an old P-64 action.

I have QRWs on this, two Leupy 2.5s and they are good, but, whenever possible, I like Talley QD-SL mounts, preferably STS and have more of these on my various rifles than any others.

I also love the one Murphy Precision Ti setup I have on my U/L full custom Mod. Seven 7-08 and would use these on all of my hunting, bush-working rifles, even with the very high cost, however, Cam Murphy told me last Sept. that he has discontinued his superb rings due to production costs and sales volumn.....still, the BEST mounts I have ever used and made like fine jewelry.

The Zee rings on QRW bases work very well and are inexpensive.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For big bores, I like Warne rings and bases, in either QR or standard.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Ended up going with Burris Zee. I like that I can loosen the one screw and slide them off with the scope staying put within the rings. Same concept as QD rings without the proturuding levers. I like the recoil key on the Warnes, being vertically split, they dont jive well with remove and replace.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
TomM1,
I understand that you've made your choice, but just a FYI for others, the Talley Quick Detachable scope rings used to also come with a screw that you could use instead of the lever. I see on their website that they now sell the rings with either the lever or the single screw. Similar deal to the Burris.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep, thats good for when you buy QD's, then carry the rifle on a week long hunt and decide these levers are ridiculous 😀

My application already had weaver style bases which also factored in. Talley makes good stuff though.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tom,
I will say that I agreed with you when I first started using them. I couldn't and didn't like those levers "hanging" out there for everything to catch on. However, for better or worse, I decided that I wanted the ability to quickly remove the scope in the field if something went wrong with it (at least I could use the open sights) and the screw wouldn't allow "quick" removal. . However, after hunting with the rifle, I decided that the levers didn't really hurt anything at all. I can't remember them ever grabbing anything and causing an issue. I will agree that the rings do look nicer without those levers. A much cleaner look.

IC B3

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I considered using them again but my current irons require inserting a lyman slide, so if Im going to carry that around as back up, I might as well carry a little torx wrench for the rings.

If my rifle takes a hard enough fall that I want to remove the scope, I will probably check the zero on the irons as well. So have pretty much given up on the concept of being able to, or having the need to remove a scope quickly to employ irons.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Deleted.... should have read all of the posts! whistle memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/22/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have the Talley quick release rings on both of my 375s, Ive never had them catch on anything, even being dragged through the thick brush in southern Alaska. I like the ability to pop the scope off right away if I need to pursue a wounded bear or something. i havn't had to yet but I like knowing I can.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’ve be running Leupold QD’s for around 20 years on my <9.0 lb .375 AI. There have been zero issues with these. The QD’s give you the opportunity to have a second scope, already zero’d. Also, to iron sights...if so equipped. I hope I don’t have to fall back to the irons...but they are there, if needed! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The levers aren’t really necessary on the steel Talleys to have quickly changeable and preciously zeroed spare scope. The only difference in the replaceable rings with and without levers is an Allen wrench. They are the same rings, just without the hooks sticking out. True, you will have to remember the wrench. I have both and favor the rings without levers.

Last edited by GF1; 01/13/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GF1
The levers aren’t really necessary on the steel Talleys to have quickly changeable and preciously zeroed spare scope. The only difference in the replaceable rings with and without levers is an Allen wrench. They are the same rings, just without the hooks sticking out. True, you will have to remember the wrench. I have both and favor the rings without levers.

They don't use an allen wrench, they use a "TORX"

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Early morning slip, thanks.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I am a big fan of the Burris Zee rings. On a Weaver/Picatinny base, especially for a big bore, I change out the bottom screw that attaches the ring to the base. It is a 6x32 screw and is too small. I drill and tap it out to 4x0.7mm. An 8x32 is too big. The 4mm exactly fits the base slot and makes a much stronger mount. I had a 6x32 break once.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
QRW
Leupold or Warne Maxima

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I put Burris zee rings on my model 70 416 rem mag and 1600 shots later they still are fine .It takes the shock out if the scope .I don't know If they quit making them or not .I.just found a pair of silver ones for my stainless Ruger 338 win mag .They are awesome rings I have them.on a bunch of my rifles !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (338reddog, 2500HD, 3333vl, 808outdoors, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,248 guests, and 760 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,123
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.