-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will second, third, fourth what sharps just said. Cabela's gun staff seemingly works off of a script with little real knowledge of what they have or don't have. As a result of their ignorance a deal or two can be found occasionally or in random visits but in general their combined ignorance manifests itself as rude, condescending babble designed to impress their own staff and perhaps a few misinformed customers while minimizing the turnover of their inventory. For the most part I prefer gun shows for selling guns or trading. At least the dealers there know they are crooks and don't pretend to be anything else and quite often a show visitor (and/or an honest, knowledgeable dealer) will be more pleasant to deal with.

Last edited by Milwroad; 01/04/18.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I bought a 1942 German 98 mauser through the internet at a cabelas in Massachusetts. It had matching numbers all but the barrel which was rebarreled to 30/06 shortened to 20 inches and a full length stock installed. I did pay full price ( to much)but what really gripes me is I had to pay sales tax and I am from another state. Looking back now I am glad I followed through, I really like it!
Erich

At some point my hobbies became my life.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Will echo what kngston et al have said (sadly). It is worth looking for deals (screw ups), though, and they may deal. Bought a closet-condition 1967? 760 carbine 30’06 with weaver k3 post/crosswire in swing mounts for 269. Yeah, and rep was boasting about how a widow came in to liquidate her husbands guns; evidently they stole them? Dispelled any notion of trade/sell with cabelas.

Talked them down on a nice husky 146 9.3x57... well, down to a reasonable market price of 400 from a fantasy price of 650. That guy was a douche, but didnt speak husky, mauser, or metric so. If you’re gonna be an ass....

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought a used S&W model 34 from the a few years ago and managed to jew them on the price a bit. They were nice folks to deal with but I do not like the policy they have of not allowing me as the buyer to carry my own firearm out the door. They also seemed very slow at getting the paperwork, 4473, going. They do have a nice selection of used guns though, which I like.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by sactoller
I don't know with whom either of you were talking with, but Bass Pro has yet to issue anything to the libraries.

As I said, a gun library employee told me that on Monday. Maybe he's full of it, or maybe Bass Pro put something out and forgot to ask your permission, I dunno... grin

Well, I have missed one conference call...so maybe. whistle

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know with whom either of you were talking with, but Bass Pro has yet to issue anything to the libraries.

As I said, a gun library employee told me that on Monday. Maybe he's full of it, or maybe Bass Pro put something out and forgot to ask your permission, I dunno... grin

Well, I have missed one conference call...so maybe. whistle

Sometimes is a tossup which is more interesting, what you hear from customers at a gun store, and what you hear from employees.

Okay.. customers have it beat hands down just due to volume. But some employees try to even it up. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My experience with Cabela's is like that with a lot of other gun shops and dealers.

You have to look for the deals but occasionally you find one, Back when I was looking for a used 444 or .45-70 Marlin they were all $400 and up. On a whim, walked into a LGS on the way home from work - a rare event - and found a pristine 2 year-old for $249 and change. Score!

Also picked up a really nice Marlin 336 .30-30 for $225 at a gun show when the going rate everywhere I looked was $100 and more higher.

My .257 Roberts was purchased years ago but $400 or the rifle and the Leupold M8-4x scope that was in the rings.

Bought a very gently used Ruger MKII laminate/stainless in .223 with a Burris FFII BP scope at Cabela's a couple years back for $475. Since I would have purchased the same scope new for $160 online, I figured the rifle would cost me $315. But then I got a 10% discount due to year-end sales plus another $25 or so discount for getting a Cabela's credit card (which I promptly destroyed after receipt).

Bargains are where you find them.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I bought a used S&W model 34 from the a few years ago and managed to jew them on the price a bit. They were nice folks to deal with but I do not like the policy they have of not allowing me as the buyer to carry my own firearm out the door. They also seemed very slow at getting the paperwork, 4473, going. They do have a nice selection of used guns though, which I like.

Welcome to the forum Jim. Their policy on carrying the gun out for you may be required by their insurer. But yeah, it does seem weird that you can walk over to the rifle ammo, grab a box of 30-06 ammo then go over to the used gun rack and pick up a 30-06. Yet they have the requirement to walk your gun to the door.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 01/08/18.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you find a used gun in the Cabela's gun library that you want to purchase but its in another state will they ship it to a store near you? If so will they charge to do this? anybody done this?

not trying to hijack the thread

Do good unto all.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by brasskeeper
If you find a used gun in the Cabela's gun library that you want to purchase but its in another state will they ship it to a store near you? If so will they charge to do this? anybody done this?

Yes they will ship and no they will not charge you any extra for that. You might even save sales tax

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At least in the two Denver stores the prices they ask and amazingly get for used firearms is ridiculous. Their minimum for a Marlin 336 pre-safety is $650.00. Believe me I have watched carefully. About the only style rifles that thye don't ask a premium for are Savage rifles.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My experience is that they are always overpriced, except on a special markdown sale day or something when they are desperate to move inventory.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Yes they will ship and no they will not charge you any extra for that. You might even save sales tax

Last I knew they wouldn't use another store to do a FFL transfer. You could either buy from that remote store and ship to your FFL, or you could pay $25 ($35?) to ship it to your local store and buy it from them. Shipping to the local store is great because you can see it in person prior to buying. The potential downside is the local store can stick whatever price they like on the gun after you pay to ship it to them. Never had my local store jack up the price, but did have to get the gun library manager involved once to stop a clerk from jacking price up $150.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Last I knew they wouldn't use another store to do a FFL transfer. You could either buy from that remote store and ship to your FFL, or you could pay $25 ($35?) to ship it to your local store and buy it from them. Shipping to the local store is great because you can see it in person prior to buying. The potential downside is the local store can stick whatever price they like on the gun after you pay to ship it to them. Never had my local store jack up the price, but did have to get the gun library manager involved once to stop a clerk from jacking price up $150.

I was looking at a rifle in Centreville, ohio, the gunroom told me they would ship it to the Fort Mill , SC store free. They also said I would not pay sales tax ???

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I found a used Remington custom shop model 700, 7 Mag in the Gun Library at Billings and called the store about it. The guy that answered said that “it’s a beautiful rifle in great condition but there is a small blemish in the bluing on the receiver rail at the ejection port.”

I thanked him and went to my computer to check and if I looked very closely I could see a tiny speck that I hadn’t seen when I found the rifle on the web site. It might have been a little over-priced but I bought it anyway and the transaction was painless. CC number over the phone and shipped to my local dealer.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have sold Cabelas about 6 firearms this year and purchased as many. So much for reducing the collection...

They charge $25 to ship from another store.
They do not reprice the firearm once it is delivered to the local store.
The will negotiate with you on the selling price as well the purchase.
Try to strike up a relationship with the GL manager and avoid the others. He/She can make decisions.
They typically pay 70% of what they will sell it.
They will mark down if the firearm has been sitting for a time.
Look for their 15% off on in stock firearms and that applies to GL firearms as well.

My nice scores
Older Ruger No 1 RSI in 7X57 15% off...
1952 FN Belgium Mauser in great condition 30-06 for sub $500 because it was marked unknown caliber. Took $300 off for unknown caliber.
UZI preban ANIB <$1,100

My sales to them have been great and it beats walking around gun shows with people wanting to give you $0.50 on the dollar or not wanting to buy anything.

Just did a deal with Cabelas on a two rifle deal that they beat the local “America’s Largest Gun Store” by $500. Not bad for a ten minute drive.

Get to know the GL manager and your gains and time are better spent.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
You can buy the firearm at the Cabelas in a different state and have it shipped to the ffl of your choice. I prefer paying $25 and having the firearm shipped to my local Cabelas for inspection, in my case, Boise Idaho. That allows me to examine before I purchase. Once I decide to purchase, the price is negotiatable, and at least at the Boise store, they are fair in setting the price. If I don't purchase, I am only out the $25 I paid for shipping. Timed correctly with sales of 10 to 15%, and saved up Cabelas points from my Cabelas Visa, you can really save a lot of money. My recent purchases from out of state stores shipped to Idaho include a Browning 1895 30-06 and a Smith and Wesson 25-13 45 Colt Mountain Gun.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,478
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.