Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That is the direction that all the evidence seems to be pointing to, though I don't have your book right now to check the pictures.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are the pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, I think the evidence really, really points to that one rather than a "standard" 1895 or 1899 musket.

The rifle that won the trials was displayed at the 1897 Sportsmen's Exposition at Madison Square Garden according to a couple different article, and this is a description from one of them. All of the articles state that "the" rifle used to win the trial was there, not "one of the" rifles. Also notice how they mention a difference in caliber between the trial rifle and Savage rifles - that could be simply bad reporting except for the other sources that mention it being the same as the US cartridge.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some more pics of the N.Y. trials rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Did I ever mention that we took thousands of pics and narrowed them down to 260 something for the book. This is some we didn't use. They were taken at the Savage factory by my niece Charlotte Royal. David

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Calhoun
The rifle that won the trials was displayed at the 1897 Sportsmen's Exposition at Madison Square Garden according to a couple different article, and this is a description from one of them. All of the articles state that "the" rifle used to win the trial was there, not "one of the" rifles. Also notice how they mention a difference in caliber between the trial rifle and Savage rifles - that could be simply bad reporting except for the other sources that mention it being the same as the US cartridge.

[Linked Image]

I can't see yer link?

IC B2

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
[quote=Calhoun]The rifle that won the trials was displayed at the 1897 Sportsmen's Exposition at Madison Square Garden according to a couple different article, and this is a description from one of them. All of the articles state that "the" rifle used to win the trial was there, not "one of the" rifles. Also notice how they mention a difference in caliber between the trial rifle and Savage rifles - that could be simply bad reporting except for the other sources that mention it being the same as the US cartridge.

I can't see yer link?

The picture? Here.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Z...Mv5NTNbfrjPjvjQoD=s595-w595-h368-no?.JPG

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rory, I can't open either one. Could you email the article to me. wyomingsavage1895gmail.com. Thanks, David

wyo1895
[email protected]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Weren't some of the shooting trials conducting on Governor's Island?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
[Linked Image]

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, Mike.

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Weren't some of the shooting trials conducting on Governor's Island?

I don't think so, I think that was the 1892 army trials where Krag-Jorgenson won. Much earlier prototype of the Savage rifle was used there.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of these.
[Linked Image]
David

wyo1895
[email protected]

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Found a copy of the Board of Examiners Report to Governor Morton. While it doesn't totally resolve the question of what the rifle was chambered in, I think it does resolve the question of how many rifles were submitted.

As to carbine being tested? No. Submitted for inspection and the usage is in regards to a single rifle.
CAVALRY CARBINE.
The new Savage cavalry carbine submitted to us for inspection is a very fine arm. The mechanism is the same as that of the Savage military magazine rifle, an-d in all its details is admirably adapted for the use of cavalrymen. We unhesitatingly recommend it for the use of the cavalry of the National Guard of the State of New York.

As to multiple rifles being tested? Sure doesn't sound like it. Throughout the report it refers to rifles from manufacturers as single specimens. Notice that Winchester 95 is listed twice, because they submitted two rifles with slight differences.
GUNS ENTERED AND OFFERED FOR THE TESTS.
Twelve guns in all were formally entered and offered for examination as follows:
1. Military magazine rifle, by the Savage Arms 00., Utica, N. Y. Tested.
2. Derrick S. West, Boston, Mass. Withdrawn without test.
,3. Hon. Stillman F. Kneeland, in the name and style of Briggs-Kneelandr Tested.
4. The Lee Arms Company, Hartford, Conn. Withdrawn by request and not re-entered.
5. John Henry Blake, Batavia, N. Y. Tested.
6. Bethel Burton, Brooklyn, N. Y. Partly tested and withdrawn by permission.
7. George L. Putnam, New York city. Withdrawn for alterations to conform to proposed changes in model. Re-en-tered by Howard Gibb, Brooklyn, N. Y., subsequent owner. Partially
tested. Withdrawn by request.
8. Winchester Repeating Arms Co., New Haven, Conn.
9. Model No. 1, ’95, tested.
Model No. 2, ’95, tested.
10. Lee Straight Pull, tested.
11. Rifle of straight pull bolt action by Dr. S. N. McClean, of Washington, Iowa. By model only.
12. Rifle double. bolt action, by W. B. Farwell, of San Francisco, Cal. Not formally entered, and model produced, not within the requirements specified in the regulations, schedule “A.”

As to the chambering: about the most definitive thing there is the comment:
and the desirability if not necessity of securing uniform ammunition with the army

Obviously the army was using the Krag-Jorgenson in 30-40 Krag.

Now I'm trying to find a copy of the actual trial results.. only found the "executive summary" that was sent to Governor Morton.

Last edited by Calhoun; 05/17/17.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
December 7th, 1895 article requesting rifles for the trials.

I think this pretty much puts the rumor that there were 100 Savage muskets submitted to the trials to rest.

gives notice that will ... accept for examination and test ... any magazine breech-loading rifle of American invention and manufacture... Said rifle may be delivered to the board or its representative ...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
definitely only one was requested.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Picture of the Savage trial rifle as printed by the Brooklyn, NY Daily Eagle. This rifle matches the "1899 transition musket" in David's book on page 13, from the lever shape to the finger grooves to the 2 sling swivels on the barrel. Discrepencies are the cleaning rod sticking out on the picture isn't shown on the rifle in David's book, and the forearm in the picture on top of the barrel extends slightly past the first barrel band, whereas in this picture it looks like the wood stops at the first barrel band.

It also appears to me that the rear of the receiver in this pic flares out like the 1899 transition musket - tho the graininess does make that somewhat questionable.

This picture definitely doesn't match the 1893 musket, and it's not a good match to any 1895 musket we've seen.

That squared off lever with the Marlin style bulge on the bottom is pretty convincing... I've only seen it on one Savage rifle. Since Savage already had pictures drawn up of a Savage musket for their catalog, it makes sense this was drawn from the rifle at the trials rather than a pic handed out by Savage. The musket in the 1895 catalog does have finger grooves on the sides, and does have a cleaning rod sticking out beneath the barrel, but it has a Savage lever and not the Marlin style and the catalog pic has no wood on top of the barrel at all, and the catalogued pic has 2 big sling swivels with only one far forward on the barrel and one far back on buttstock.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Calhoun; 01/15/18.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those could be mistakes by the artist. I will try to find my other pics of the rifle and see if it has a hole for the cleaning rod. David

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a closeup of the forearm from the side. I don't see a hole for a ramrod. So the mystery deepens. What is the pre-1899 military rifle? David
[Linked Image]

wyo1895
[email protected]

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Marlin had no rifles at the trial. Drawing a picture of a Marlin style lever on a Savage musket is a pretty big coincidence.

Got a line on good data about the trials, just waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully will be able to answer most questions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Photobucket no longer allows the photos I posted some time ago to be seen. Since this is a permanent thread I'll post them again. David
photos of factory pre-1899 military musket. Possibly the New York trials rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/62516.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/62517.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/62519.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/62520.jpg[/img]

wyo1895
[email protected]

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,490
Posts18,452,094
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.