Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T

any interest with you guys ? looks like another hotrod......

should be interesting to see if it flies......

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/10/new-hornady-6-5-prc-precision-rifle-cartridge/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been re-hashed in a half a dozen threads here on the 'Fire, not to mention elsewhere. Ballistics aside, until it's commercially available in a reasonably priced, quality rifle, it'll go nowhere. Even with that, it's success will take some time to determine. I'll stick with my 6.5CMs and 6.5-284s. YMMV

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Been re-hashed in a half a dozen threads here on the 'Fire, not to mention elsewhere. Ballistics aside, until it's commercially available in a reasonably priced, quality rifle, it'll go nowhere. Even with that, it's success will take some time to determine. I'll stick with my 6.5CMs and 6.5-284s. YMMV

Party pooper.....

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I still don’t understand why they went that direction instead of the 6.5 SAUM.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If a person were looking for a hunting rifle in 25-28 caliber, the PRC makes a lot of sense. Why would I choose the Creedmoor over the PRC for hunting? The PRC has appreciably more oomph but still manageable recoil. I haven't played with the numbers, but I would assume at long hunting ranges the PRC has a good bit more to offer than the Creedmoor. Calling it the big brother to the Creedmoor is good marketing and pretty honest as well.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I still don’t understand why they went that direction instead of the 6.5 SAUM.

John

John, over on the 6.5 SAUM Facebook page, George Gardner posted that one of the reasons is his testing shows the PRC non-rebated case feeds more smoothly than the rebated SAUM case in a “top loaded” hunting rifle.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Owning both RCM's and SAUMs, I do think the RCMs feed smoother. There is also some talk that there are already different versions of the 6.5 SAUM reamer out and by choosing a totally new cartridge they avoid the issues that might come from having different variants floating around.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Interestingly Hornady says its new wunderkind is “designed for use on medium-to-large game weighing up to 1,500 pounds.” That accounts for a lot of critterdom, though I’m sure no one at Hornady is recommending the 6.5 PRC for brown bears or Cape buffalo. What hunters should understand here is that with the ELD-X, and perhaps in the future with other premium bullets, they can count on sufficient expansion and penetration to drop a wide variety of big-game animals from just outside the blind to cross-canyon ranges.

A True Leader knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for interpreting for me that which I can do myself.Just saying!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by WiFowler

Party pooper.....

It's been said that the truth hurts. Some apparently more than others. laugh

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I think this is a trade mark, copyright, branding, marketing issue. They couldn’t / wouldn’t go 6.5 SAUM.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why would anybody commercially launch a new cartridge and call it SAUM for any reason? Even though a few looneys like it, in the real world, “SAUM” is an acronym for, “Complete market failure.”

Last edited by seattlesetters; 01/17/18.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Why would anybody go SAUM for any reason? Even though a few looneys like it, in the real world, “SAUM” is an acronym for, “Complete market failure.”

How much have you actually shot a 6.5 SAUM.... Just curious.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by joshf303
Why would anybody go SAUM for any reason? Even though a few looneys like it, in the real world, “SAUM” is an acronym for, “Complete market failure.”

How much have you actually shot a 6.5 SAUM.... Just curious.

He lives in the real world, so that would mean zero......

I've always wondered what the real world was like. I'll probably never find out.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whether someone has or hasn’t shot a 6.5 SAUM has absolutely no relevance to the undeniable fact that the SAUM in all guises has been a commercial failure.

Anybody bringing a new cartridge to market would be crazy to attach the SAUM (failure) name to it.

Basic Marketing 101. Even if they had settled on one of the current 6.5 SAUM versions out there, Hornady calling this new cartridge a SAUM would be akin to BMW calling their newest model the “AMC Gremlin.”

Last edited by seattlesetters; 01/16/18.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 6.5SAUM wasn't designed to be a commercial round. It is a wildcat and is an awesome cartridge. Yes GAP markets it in their rifles but it is still
a wildcat and was intended that way IMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 805
The 6.5SAUM wasn't designed to be a commercial round. It is a wildcat and is an awesome cartridge. Yes GAP markets it in their rifles but it is still
a wildcat and was intended that way IMO.

All the SAUMs are great cartridges. The 7 SAUM especially holds great appeal for me.

I really wish they would have been successful.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
6.5 saum Rocks!!
Built one last year, 26" Marksman contour Hawkhill barrel, 140 hybrids at 3120 ( had them at 3160 but wasn't comfortable running them that fast)
143ELD-X at 3118, 147ELD-M at 3067. Waiting for weather to break to test some Sierra 150Matchkings.
Like this round so much building another with much lighter contour for a pack in hunting rifle.
Personally, I don't care if its a "commercial success, it's a great round.

NRA Patron Member
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Whether someone has or hasn’t shot a 6.5 SAUM has absolutely no relevance to the undeniable fact that the SAUM in all guises has been a commercial failure.

Anybody bringing a new cartridge to market would be crazy to attach the SAUM (failure) name to it.

Basic Marketing 101. Even if they had settled on one of the current 6.5 SAUM versions out there, Hornady calling this new cartridge a SAUM would be akin to BMW calling their newest model the “AMC Gremlin.”

Eaasssyyyy Nancy...don't get all loose bladdered and wringy tail.....

I didn't ask for a relevance or marketing lesson. You asked "why would anybody go SAUM for any reason?" I asked how much you've actually used one, which gave a 50/50 chance of regaling us with your experience.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by joshf303
.... 50/50 chance of regaling us with your experience.

LMAO..... but a 100% chance of another dumbass reply....

The odds around here that someone here has actuall, viable, reliable experience..... with the rifle, cartridge, optic they’re bashing.... is WAAAAAAY worse than a coin flip man.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

343 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.