Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Lets say I wanted to add a few oz to my Mountain Ascent...and that I like the classic wood look over the olive baby s*it color stock I got (compared to the nice forest green color on Kimber's website), what would I expect to change accuracy wise? I'm very pleased with the rifle, its a joy to carry compared to the heavy, cheap long actions I've always hunted with. It consistently puts 2 shots touching with the 3rd out 1/2" or so with the barrel hot when at the range with factory ammo. Am I going to ruin it if I get a wood stock from Kimber? Any roadblocks I'll encounter?

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You aren't going to ruin anything on your current set up. You may have to bed the stock you get to your action to get best accuracy. What does Kimber want for a walnut stock? I would make sure I couldn't just buy a used 84m for $50 more.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Need bottom metal too?

I think I'd do what R H suggested and find a nice Classic for a stock swap.

Then keep or peddle the second rifle.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Need bottom metal too?

I suppose I would, the classic's aren't blind like the MA's eh?

Actually been in contact with an owner of an 84M stock that isn't out of this world expensive or anything. If I liked it I should be able to recoup and then some with my MA stock I would think.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Am I going to ruin it if I get a wood stock from Kimber? Any roadblocks I'll encounter?

One roadblock is that If you call Kimber CS you'll discover that they won't sell you a wood stock. The only stocks that Kimber will sell and ship to a customer are Montana stocks.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A can of paint might make you happy.

ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MCMXI
Am I going to ruin it if I get a wood stock from Kimber? Any roadblocks I'll encounter?

One roadblock is that If you call Kimber CS you'll discover that they won't sell you a wood stock. The only stocks that Kimber will sell and ship to a customer are Montana stocks.

Yep found that out this morning, but there is one for sale on Gunbroker. However, thanks to a couple of the above posters spending my money, I just bought a 243 84M Classic Select STAINLESS, I'm pumped. Now i'll be able to have matching grip cap and bottom metal, and sell what is essentially a Montana 243. Figure it'll add about 8-10 oz to my MA, bring it up around 7 lbs 6 oz or so, and be a beautiful frankenkimber.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh and it'll have a 13.5" LOP vs 13.75", which is perfect for me.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now i'll be able to have matching grip cap and bottom metal, and sell what is essentially a Montana 243.

You might want to hang on to that Montana .243 Win for a year or two since the Kimber Mfg. Inc, Yonkers, NY, USA marked rifles might become more collectible in the not too distant future.

[email protected]
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have the sister to that very rifle, I was watching it on Gunbroker as well. Was actually contemplating offering you a trade for your synthetic stock as I scrolled through the thread...then that. Nice grab hope it gets you where you want to be!

Also interesting that you found Kimber will sell you a Montana stock...I was under the impression they'd only do that if you had a damaged one you sent them for replacement.

Honorary Gouger per Travis
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That's a good looking rifle. I would probably keep them both and hunt them however I liked. Don't you have a large scope set up on your Ascent? You might set it up a a true light weight and keep the other for everything else. At least try the new one with 80 grn TTSX. It would be plenty for whitetail and a joy to shoot. Keep them both a while anyway. I always hear guys say "I wish I had never sold....."

ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
That's a good looking rifle. I would probably keep them both and hunt them however I liked. Don't you have a large scope set up on your Ascent? You might set it up a a true light weight and keep the other for everything else. At least try the new one with 80 grn TTSX. It would be plenty for whitetail and a joy to shoot. Keep them both a while anyway. I always hear guys say "I wish I had never sold....."

Yep that crossed my mind a few minutes ago RH. Putting a 2.3-18x56 Z8i on the MA tonight. So it’ll wind up a pretty, very well scoped rifle that is still on the lighter side. Then put a 10-12 oz scope on the 243...how exciting it is to blow money lol.

ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gansettx
I have the sister to that very rifle, I was watching it on Gunbroker as well. Was actually contemplating offering you a trade for your synthetic stock as I scrolled through the thread...then that. Nice grab hope it gets you where you want to be!

Also interesting that you found Kimber will sell you a Montana stock...I was under the impression they'd only do that if you had a damaged one you sent them for replacement.

I didn’t ask about synthetic stocks, but he gave me explicit reasons for why they wouldn’t sell me a wood one. But I will simply drop the 243 barreled action into my 2017 mountain ascent moss green stock, making it essentially a Montana.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
How much does Kimber charge for a Montana stock? Is this something new? I thought they would not sell Montana stocks with out trading in a damaged one.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How much does Kimber charge for a Montana stock? Is this something new? I thought they would not sell Montana stocks with out trading in a damaged one.

$475 for the stock plus a few $ for sling swivel studs or anything else you might need. You're not required to send in a damaged one or provide a reason as to why you want a Montana stock but you might get the usual disclaimer regarding the fit and no guarantee of performance etc., but that's not surprising.

[email protected]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MCMXI

$475 for the stock plus a few $ for sling swivel studs or anything else you might need. You're not required to send in a damaged one or provide a reason as to why you want a Montana stock but you might get the usual disclaimer regarding the fit and no guarantee of performance etc., but that's not surprising.

Thanks MCMXI, that's good to know!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pm sent

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The Kimber 84 ChrisAU showed is the best figure I have seen on a Kimber Classic Select. Maybe with their new Alabama Troy plant some things will change. I saw a number of Classic Selects at a local dealer and was totally unimpressed with the oil finish on their rifles , they were very blotchy! I now buy SS barrels and actions if possible. I have a Winchester Model 70 SS Ultimate Shadow with synthetic stock. It is the ONLY synthetic stock I have been impressed with. I have Model 700s, Model 70s, Browning X Bolts. Most stable stocks we have EVER tested were laminates. Where did ChrisAU get the Kimber he posted pics of?

ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DaveyJ
The Kimber 84 ChrisAU showed is the best figure I have seen on a Kimber Classic Select. Maybe with their new Alabama Troy plant some things will change. I saw a number of Classic Selects at a local dealer and was totally unimpressed with the oil finish on their rifles , they were very blotchy! I now buy SS barrels and actions if possible. I have a Winchester Model 70 SS Ultimate Shadow with synthetic stock. It is the ONLY synthetic stock I have been impressed with. I have Model 700s, Model 70s, Browning X Bolts. Most stable stocks we have EVER tested were laminates. Where did ChrisAU get the Kimber he posted pics of?

Just happened upon it on Gun Broker.

ChrisAU Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Today may be the day my FrankenKimbers are born. Questions:

1) Anyone know the actual torque for the action screws? All kinds of answers out there.

2) Anyone use low strength loc-Tite on action screws?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.