Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have some 180 gr. .308" Deep Curls and haven't got them to shoot well yet using Speer's powder choices. This if from a couple of accurate .30'06s.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
not doubting you, Joe, just offering another data point:

I stocked up on 120gr .257 Deep Curls, as they were very accurate in several Bob's and one 25/06. I then I stocked up up on some 165gr 30cal and 150gr 277cal Deep Curls when Midway had them on sale. They are very accurate in a coupe of 06's,a 300 Savage and several 270s. Terminal performance on many deer and hogs has been outstanding.

I think the Deep Curls are great bullets and was most disappointed when Speer suddenly discontinued them. My understanding is that there were issues with pressure spikes. I am hoping that the new Gold Dot bullets are of similar design and performance, but with the pressure issues solved. None the less, I will wait a while to make sure Speer is serious this time before I take the plunge and try some.

PS: Also came across some old 90gr 243 Deep Shock bullets and they have been outstanding in a couple of 243s. Hope Speer gets it right this time!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They are coming out with a new reloading manual too. I couldn't believe it when I saw it on the MidSouth shooting supply website. It's not in stock yet, either is the new Western powders manual, but I'm glad to see some activity from Speer. They have been withering on the vine for too long.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ll bet ol’ Vernon has been rotating in his grave.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by gerry35

Form, If my memory serves me correctly aren't you a fan of these bullets on game animals?

62gr, 64gr, and 75gr Speer Gold Dots/Federal Fusions are excellent performers on animals, and there is nothing in the US that I wouldn't hunt with a 75gr Gold Dot (or 62/64gr....).

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Form, If my memory serves me correctly aren't you a fan of these bullets on game animals?

62gr, 64gr, and 75gr Speer Gold Dots/Federal Fusions are excellent performers on animals, and there is nothing in the US that I wouldn't hunt with a 75gr Gold Dot (or 62/64gr....).

You must have never killed any big bears in tight.

Last edited by fredIII; 01/20/18.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by fredIII

And here is where I'm going to continue to assert something unpopular but difficult to refute:

If you have to make a close shot on a bear, you are going to have to shoot for the CNS. A 22cf with good bullets like the Fusions/Gold Dots is going to give you the penetration you need to put the bear down right there IF you can make the shot. This is also true with bigger calibers, as a near-miss with them is going to be just as ineffective as a near-miss with a 22cf. But the ability to place a 22cf perfectly is more easily had, because recoil and noise are so much less than typical big bear cartridges. And a second shot is more quickly applied as well.

I'll happily face off against the average Fire member shooting at a 3-inch circle at 20yds, me with a 22 cf and you with whatever "big bear stopper" you prefer. Most hits in 4 seconds wins.

Shooting at big bears in close is a low-percentage proposition for most of us, I seriously suspect, and any advantage I can have in that situation, I want.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
gerry35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for sharing your experience with them, I'm excited to try them in the cartridges I have of course. Appreciate your input here.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish they would bring back the 6.5 120 Hotcore. That was my go-to bullet in my 260. My stash is running low.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Their 165 Hot Cor shoots well in Dad's old Model 100 (think I loaded them with RL 15).
The same bullet with 3031 shoots pretty awesome (around 2") with my iron sighted, sewer piped Krag.
I've got a box of 7mm 160 Grand Slams I picked up for a song years ago, but never tried them in the #1 7mm Mauser.
I guess I need to get on their website and dig around a bit. I've not looked on there in years.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sounded like he was guessing. Good call out.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by starsky

Do you not think that the 75 Gold Dot would penetrate well enough to get to a bear's nervous system, or what?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
Wow. That’s great to see Speer getting back into the game.

That 35 Whelen data is pretty serious.

It sure is! A 250 gr Hot Core at 2700+ is really tryin' to reach the 9.3X62. wink

Ted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by starsky

Do you not think that the 75 Gold Dot would penetrate well enough to get to a bear's nervous system, or what?

Sarcasm....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I wish they would bring back the 6.5 120 Hotcore. That was my go-to bullet in my 260. My stash is running low.

It is still listed on their webpage. I didn't know it had been discontinued.

Amazing in this day and age with the number and popularity of the 6.5mm cartridges that Speer still only offer three bullet choices in .264..............or two if the 120gn has been discontinued.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

And here is where I'm going to continue to assert something unpopular but difficult to refute:

If you have to make a close shot on a bear, you are going to have to shoot for the CNS. A 22cf with good bullets like the Fusions/Gold Dots is going to give you the penetration you need to put the bear down right there IF you can make the shot. This is also true with bigger calibers, as a near-miss with them is going to be just as ineffective as a near-miss with a 22cf. But the ability to place a 22cf perfectly is more easily had, because recoil and noise are so much less than typical big bear cartridges. And a second shot is more quickly applied as well.

I'll happily face off against the average Fire member shooting at a 3-inch circle at 20yds, me with a 22 cf and you with whatever "big bear stopper" you prefer. Most hits in 4 seconds wins.

Shooting at big bears in close is a low-percentage proposition for most of us, I seriously suspect, and any advantage I can have in that situation, I want.

Huntnshoot I have to respectfully disagree with this post. Fortunately I have never found myself in this position, bit if I did I would find myself taking a shoulder shot to break that bear down allowing time to get in a finisher. CNS while certainly effective is just too small of a target IMO. And I do not trust a 22 cal to break that shoulder.

Certainly with the better premium bullets we have today I would not argue that smaller calibers with lighter bullets have improved their effectiveness on game. But for the task of shutting down an angry large bear at close range IMO, a 30 06 with 200 Nosler Partitions is where I want to be as a minimum.YMMV.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 55 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.