Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I’m looking for a good set of packable raingear for a wilderness hunt this fall. I have a set I bought from Cabela’s that is OK if it’s sprinkling but forget it in a steady rain. Any recommendations?

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like my HH Extreme WW rain jacket for a real downpour. Doesn’t breathe well, but keeps rain out, and is quite durable.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had good luck with Arc'teryx, but boy howdy it is expensive...

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Link?

They’ve got tons of different models and I can’t find one identified as “Extreme”.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
If it's gonna be wet, just get PVC coated nylon. Gore tex and the like will fail if it's wet enough. Lots of manufacturers.

Helly Imperitech
Gage
Rothsco

Not the lightest, will not breath, but will not let water in either.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Link?

They’ve got tons of different models and I can’t find one identified as “Extreme”.

Thanks.

Impertech. Similar to this one, except that mine is the first gen, and this is version II:

https://www.amazon.com/Helly-Hansen-Workwear-Impertech-Fishing/dp/B00JEXWH14

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Link?

Thanks.

Impertech. Similar to this one, except that mine is the first gen, and this is version II:

I’ll second that. Not sure about the second generation, but other than the lack of breathability (which is natural with this kind of rain ware), the only issue to consider is that it is not as tough as the heavier models.

PS, I was in Calgary last week Jordan and it was cold as HELL! <grin>

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Link?

Thanks.

I’ll second that. Not sure about the second generation, but other than the lack of breathability (which is natural with this kind of rain ware), the only issue to consider is that it is not as tough as the heavier models.

Sounds like you came through during one of the nice weeks. A couple of weeks ago it was much colder than hell. grin

WRT the toughness of the Impertech, I wore mine for a residential siding job a couple of years ago, and as I was walking through a tight walkway, I snagged a sharp piece of metal flashing with my jacket, hard enough that it jerked my whole body backwards. I thought for sure I had torn my Impertech, but despite close examination, I couldn't find a single tear or hole. The bloody stuff is stretchy and durable, way more so than typical backpacking shells, at least.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the link Jordan.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have the FL Vapor Stormlight jacket and Boundary Stormtight pants. In 5 days of rain/sleet/snow elk hunting this year they kept me dry. The jacket packs down to almost nothing, but if you're in heavy brush I'd question it's durability. The pants down don't pack down quite as small but they are light, durable and easy to get on/off with the full-length leg zippers.

IC B3

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I wasn't thinking of PVC/Nylon but if it works, it works. I appreciate the input. Keep it coming. I'd like a lightweight suit but if it's not feasible or 4X cost then maybe the PVC/Nylon is the way to go.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Any consideration for the US MIL issued raingear? Kinda heavy and sturdy as hell, it can be found new.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bill_N
I wasn't thinking of PVC/Nylon but if it works, it works. I appreciate the input. Keep it coming. I'd like a lightweight suit but if it's not feasible or 4X cost then maybe the PVC/Nylon is the way to go.

FWIW, I much prefer the lightweight, stretchy, packable PU coated polyester over the heavy, rigid PVC found in most regular yellow rain coats.

In light moisture, I like a softshell like the Kuiu Guide jacket, but if it bad enough for me to need a waterproof shell, I want it to be really waterproof, not just DWR coated, water-resistant material.

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Agreed. I'm going to be wearing Gore-Tex outerwear.

Kind of forgot I have a set of Columbia PVC/Nylon rain gear in my closet that I bought on a fishing trip probably 15 years ago. It seems kind of cheap and heavy but not as heavy as the old school yellow Helly Hansen rain gear. I'd like something better than the Columbia set. What retailers carry the Helly and Grundens Gage gear? It would be nice to look at it rather than order it online to see if I like it.

Last edited by Bill_N; 01/17/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Around here Mark’s Work Warehouse carries the HH Workwear stuff.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I like HH to truly keep yourself dry in true wet environments.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ajmorell
I have the FL Vapor Stormlight jacket and Boundary Stormtight pants. In 5 days of rain/sleet/snow elk hunting this year they kept me dry. The jacket packs down to almost nothing, but if you're in heavy brush I'd question it's durability. The pants down don't pack down quite as small but they are light, durable and easy to get on/off with the full-length leg zippers.

Good to know. I will have to look into this.

I love lightweight gear, but I have never found a lightweight jacket that keeps you dry regardless of how many days it rains.

Montana MOFO
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I spoke to a customer service guy at HH today. Had a hard time understanding him but it turns out the Impertech line has been discontinued. Still available on amazon and a couple other online retailers. The stores around me only carry the HH clothing.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How about a combination rain gear and improvised blind? grin

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Link?

Thanks.

Sounds like you came through during one of the nice weeks. A couple of weeks ago it was much colder than hell. grin

WRT the toughness of the Impertech, I wore mine for a residential siding job a couple of years ago, and as I was walking through a tight walkway, I snagged a sharp piece of metal flashing with my jacket, hard enough that it jerked my whole body backwards. I thought for sure I had torn my Impertech, but despite close examination, I couldn't find a single tear or hole. The bloody stuff is stretchy and durable, way more so than typical backpacking shells, at least.

Jordan,

You’re ever so correct about the Impertech toughness and I should have been more articulate. I was really comparing the Impertech to some of the much heavier PVC rainwear, you know, like the Peter Storm stuff or even the heavier HH stuff.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,079
Posts18,463,865
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.