Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think I may be going about it all wrong.

My daughter and grandson are living with us, and my grandson has a dog about 7 months old. He's very intelligent and good natured. I really do like having him around.

He has a couple of bad behaviors that I need to fix, and I'm not having much luck. He's not my dog, so I can't just arbitrarily put a shock collar on him though that might be negotiated.

Twice, he has put teeth through a 2' exercise ball that I use for exercise therapy. Those aren't super expensive, but they aren't free, either. He also likes to sneak into the front room and curl up on one of the soft chairs, which is strictly forbidden.

Recently I caught him in the soft chair, and had a recently destroyed exercise ball close at hand. It's soft, and couldn't really hurt him, though you might be able to crush a fly with it. So I flogged him with that. The point was to make him think he was getting killed without inflicting pain.

Yesterday, I was inflating the replacement ball. He took one look at that and quickly slunk away. He may be over his fascination with exercise balls.

Today, he was back on the chair so this time I applied a small amount of toe as I kicked him outdoors.

I don't want to actually hurt him, and I don't want to turn him into a cowering dog. The discipline I've applied leaves him shaking, and I don't like that, but so far, it just doesn't seem to "register" with him. There must be a better way.

Ideas?

Be not weary in well doing.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Hard question Denton, I wish I had the answers to a lot of questions. Good luck.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Dogs chew, buy him some rawhide toys to chew on. Teach him to sit,stay, lay down, and to heal. If he is smart it won’t take long.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
if i read this right, the dog is seven months old, a puppy. teething issues, i have had them chew the wood off an end table.
Just like a human baby.
Flogging him, kicking him, is just gonna make him fearful of adult males and a bigger problem down the road.
give the guy something to chew on thats acceptable.
the dog is a baby.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An intelligent dog needs positive reinforcement training, dumb dogs need to be disciplined.

When he gets down from the chair as instructed give him lots of happy praise and a treat. after doing this a few times he'll catch on. as for the chewing he's a puppy and he'll chew so the things you don't want chewed on keep up, when you find him chewing on something you don't want him chewing on tell him NO! and give him something to chew that you approve of.

Last edited by 12344mag; 01/16/18.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Getting a puppy not to chew is a lost cause. It helps to get them plenty of exercise, to give them toys and chews and to keep stuff you don't want chewed on out of their reach. I had a chocolate lab for my last dog. That dog was smart and very obedient. I didn't want her on the sofa. She wouldn't get on it while we were there, but I could not figure out a way to keep her off of it while I was gone other than to keep her out of the room. I'll be interested in reading what others have done.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Recently I caught him in the soft chair, and had a recently destroyed exercise ball close at hand. It's soft, and couldn't really hurt him, though you might be able to crush a fly with it. So I flogged him with that.

You didn't catch him in the act, he is clueless as to why you flogged him. You're training him to fear you regardless of the situation. Ever hear the saying "a tired dog is a happy dog"?

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I run my dogs every night. Every. Night. If I am not home, my family will often but not always do it. The difference in their citizenship is worth it.
I also give chews. Lots of them. LOTS. Give them something that is theirs and let them do what they want to do. Works like a charm.
Finally, with the advent of remote control devices such as e-collars and cameras, I would think it pretty easy to break dogs of getting on furniture with some expense and attention.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Finally, dogs are like kids. They are not all the same. What works on one, might or might not work on the next. You must figure out what does and doesn't work, they won't tell you, not in words anyway.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
as to getting on stuff. well, i have two couchs right behind me in my office for two goldens. One has his own recliner in another room where he basically sleeps. And we have a couple that like to jump on our bed with us until they think we are asleep.
Generally speaking they only get on furniture that by mutual consent is for shared use.
i made the mistake one time of leaving my fanny pack open and on the floor. Found my wallet in the back yard appropriated by one of the goldens. he had pulled out about 200dollars in 20's, really mangled them. Put the scraps back together and after a good laugh at the bank i exchanged some of them for fresh bills. The others i had to send to a federal reserve bank with a letter explaining my dog ate them. Got a check from them too. I think i was out 40bucks in total. I learned not to do that any more.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/16/18.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The exercise ball needs to be put somewhere inaccessible to the dog. Plenty of walks/exercise and toys he can chew relieve boredom and the urge to chew things he should not chew. We trained our dog to stay off the furniture by putting a piece of cardboard in front of the chair across the opening, some folks use aluminum foil most dogs don't like either. Hitting the dog or kicking him is never a good idea, it will produce a dog that cowers and fears you and most likely will not correct the undesired behavior. These days you may get a visit from the ASPCA if you're observed hitting/kicking your dog.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Crate training and exercise. Young dogs will chew on stuff and hard to stop but should grow out of it. Have to stop the behavior while they are actually doing it. . Going up on furniture is easy to stop. Teach off command.

VERY MINIMUM -Dog should be leash trained and taught to come, stay, heal, off etc. And this is the owner's responsibility. If the dog ruins, destroys anything the grandson or daughter, who are guests in your home, should pay for it otherwise just enabling poor decision making.

How old is your grandson? He should be partcipating in training if its his dog otherwise a waste of time and it will just end up being your dog which might be a bad thing and probably better for the dog. Typically the owner needs as much training as the dog. Dont ever hit a young dog hard or beat them imho. Just a swat open hand or pinch in ear near rear leg.

I never understand why people get dogs and have no clue how much time and dedication it takes to have a good well trained, obedient, exercised dog. That's why so many good dogs are in shelters and put down every year.

Last edited by ribka; 01/16/18.
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes, a dog is a big investment of time. I agree that a lot of people don't understand that. But the investment is worth it.

He is a puppy still, and he is going to chew. He is very well supplied with chew toys, including rawhide. He had a ball that he could barely get his mouth around, so I got him a couple of smaller ones with squeekers in them, and he struts around squeezing his toy, happy as can be. If I try to play fetch with him he gets the ball and then wants to play hide and seek.

His owner is 13, and a very responsible kid. But he's in school most of the day.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 12344mag
An intelligent dog needs positive reinforcement training, dumb dogs need to be disciplined.

When he gets down from the chair as instructed give him lots of happy praise and a treat. after doing this a few times he'll catch on. as for the chewing he's a puppy and he'll chew so the things you don't want chewed on keep up, when you find him chewing on something you don't want him chewing on tell him NO! and give him something to chew that you approve of.

And he will learn he gets approval and a treat for getting out of the chair. wink

Get him a soft doggy bed and put it by the chair. Get a rolled up newspaper and swat him out of the chair. Much noise, no pain.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My 10 month old yeller lab ate two buckets and the stuffings out of a pillow in the last 24 hours.

He is also immune to SportDog 400 collar. Just twitches his ears slightly on level 8. My other male, aka ye royal collar tester... Screamed like a banshee when i caught him eating my Layer Pellets in the chicken shed. So i know it works. SMH

No amount of negative reinforcement, scolding or newspaper beatings seems to impress him. Just a dolt.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Easy peazy and have fun while you do this as well.

get a mouse trap, set it and lay a piece of newspaper over it on that chair.

Use bitter apple on the ball,

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Put yer balls up.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mouse traps on the chair will end nap time there.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MILES58
Mouse traps on the chair will end nap time there.

Just don't forget, otherwise your other balls might suffer.

Carpe' Scrotum
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mousetrap.... great idea!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.