Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by denton
I think I may be going about it all wrong.

My daughter and grandson are living with us, and my grandson has a dog about 7 months old. He's very intelligent and good natured. I really do like having him around.

He has a couple of bad behaviors that I need to fix, and I'm not having much luck. He's not my dog, so I can't just arbitrarily put a shock collar on him though that might be negotiated.

Twice, he has put teeth through a 2' exercise ball that I use for exercise therapy. Those aren't super expensive, but they aren't free, either. He also likes to sneak into the front room and curl up on one of the soft chairs, which is strictly forbidden.

Recently I caught him in the soft chair, and had a recently destroyed exercise ball close at hand. It's soft, and couldn't really hurt him, though you might be able to crush a fly with it. So I flogged him with that. The point was to make him think he was getting killed without inflicting pain.

Yesterday, I was inflating the replacement ball. He took one look at that and quickly slunk away. He may be over his fascination with exercise balls.

Today, he was back on the chair so this time I applied a small amount of toe as I kicked him outdoors.

I don't want to actually hurt him, and I don't want to turn him into a cowering dog. The discipline I've applied leaves him shaking, and I don't like that, but so far, it just doesn't seem to "register" with him. There must be a better way.

Ideas?

Denton, My wife's last dog liked to relaxin her recliner, especially when we were not hone. Momma did not like it so much.

She cured the problem easily by simply leaving a small (6"x12") piece of corrugated cardboard in the seat of her chair. The fact that she had written upon the cardboard "Rascal, keep out" in heavy marker made for family fun concerning the dog's ability to read.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by 12344mag
An intelligent dog needs positive reinforcement training, dumb dogs need to be disciplined.

When he gets down from the chair as instructed give him lots of happy praise and a treat. after doing this a few times he'll catch on. as for the chewing he's a puppy and he'll chew so the things you don't want chewed on keep up, when you find him chewing on something you don't want him chewing on tell him NO! and give him something to chew that you approve of.

And he will learn he gets approval and a treat for getting out of the chair. wink

Get him a soft doggy bed and put it by the chair. Get a rolled up newspaper and swat him out of the chair. Much noise, no pain.

Thats usually not what they learn with positive reinforcement, they seem to learn the last action they did when they got the praise which would be getting out of the chair when commanded.

I've trained dogs both ways and am surprised at how well my newest dog reacts to it. Praise from me is the thing she seeks most in her life now and is willing to do anything to get it. I taught this dog to "Shake" inside of 5 minutes and she hates her feet being touched. She might even be a little smarter than me..........

I also have a dumb dog, he's about as smart as a bag of hammers, he loves praise but is willing to ditch it to do what he wants. A good swat puts him back in line for awhile. The only difference I see between the two in the training aspect is the intelligence factor.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My Lab is a year old and he's been with me almost continuously since he was 8 weeks. I know very little about training a dog, but he knows he's done wrong when I raise my voice at him. He hangs his head and droops his ears so much that I don't have the heart to be any rougher than that with him.

My biggest problem with him is that he's just so excitable. Not all the time, but he goes off when people come to visit. I've had to rap him on the head with my knuckles over that a few times. He weighs a lean 75 lbs and I've worked him out until he's strong as a pony. He's taken off to go "welcome" a visitor on occasion when on a leash and damn near pulled me off my feet.

That's when he gets the knuckles on the head. He's usually so worked up on those occasions that he just looks at me like "what?"

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Crate Training.........absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teach the pup to go to his bed in a kennel crate. Best thing to ever happen to a house dog. And the best thing in the world for dog/human relationships.

We tell Momma's little maltese/yorkie: "Go to bed." And she RUNS to the bedroom and jumps right into her bed. If she needs to go out in the night, she will wake one of us to let her out. Five minutes later, she goes back to her kennel for the rest of the night. If she needs to be left alone in the house for a few hours, it is no big deal to spend that time in her kennel.

Some people hold the mistaken belief that locking a dog in a crate overnight is abusive. That could not be further from the truth. Dogs are an instinctive denning animal, and a kennel crate makes a perfect den.

A pup might whine for a short time due to separation anxiety, when first placed in a crate overnight. Keeping the crate close his master's bed side will go far to lessen that anxiety.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
YOU TUBE is a great sources for dog training info. You will have to glean through some not so good info along with the good.
As another poster stated you are making the pup fearful of you from what I read of the op. Most of dog training is really training you to understand the dogs pov and behavior. From there you can modify its' behavior.
If you get an e-collar WATCH THE VIDEO AND READ THE MATERIAL SEVERAL TIMES and take notes. Shock yourself with the collar to get an idea of what the dog will receive when you use it. The one I use does not hurt but it is unpleasant. Most dogs will respond to the sound and/or vibration setting with out having to be shocked. Good luck

There is a war on America and America is losing
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
My 10 month old yeller lab ate two buckets and the stuffings out of a pillow in the last 24 hours.

He is also immune to SportDog 400 collar. Just twitches his ears slightly on level 8. My other male, aka ye royal collar tester... Screamed like a banshee when i caught him eating my Layer Pellets in the chicken shed. So i know it works. SMH

No amount of negative reinforcement, scolding or newspaper beatings seems to impress him. Just a dolt.

put your dog on the ground and lay on top of him a few times a day. When you train him make sure he maintains eye contact instead of ignoring which im guessing he is doing.

choke chain and leash training 15-20 min a day with positive reinforcement praise and food treats. Short training sessions ending on positive note.

With constant negative reinforcement youre teaching your dog to dislike and ignore you.

Again to the OP- get your grandson in on training. if you have to pay a professional trainer to come in do it. No offense meant but Why would your daughter give him a dog if he is not responsible to take care of it? Sure he has plenty of free time unless he has a part time job, plus sports, plus school. Weekends? I had all three and still trained our dog when I was11 in 4 H. That is the entire point of involving a child in bringing a pet into the household.

I see a lot of young boys in our culture being treated like 2year old girls and not young men and given zero responsibilty. Not doing him any favors unless you want to support him rest of life which seems to be more and more common in today's society.

Again no offense intended

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Put something in the chair that's uncomfortable or impossible to be in it with and leave it there. It's not rocket science.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Denton, My wife's last dog liked to relaxin her recliner, especially when we were not hone. Momma did not like it so much.

She cured the problem easily by simply leaving a small (6"x12") piece of corrugated cardboard in the seat of her chair. The fact that she had written upon the cardboard "Rascal, keep out" in heavy marker made for family fun concerning the dog's ability to read.

My setter would sleep on my bed while I was gone. I made a note that said Jan NO! I showed it to her and put it on the bed. She never slept on it again. All of the setters I have owned previously were box of rocks stupid, but this one learns everything like that. Has a vocabulary of hundreds of words.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
if i read this right, the dog is seven months old, a puppy. teething issues, i have had them chew the wood off an end table.
Just like a human baby.
Flogging him, kicking him, is just gonna make him fearful of adult males and a bigger problem down the road.
give the guy something to chew on thats acceptable.
the dog is a baby.

Yep... this is what I was going to say

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

My daughter and grandson are living with us, and my grandson has a dog about 7 months old. He's very intelligent and good natured. I really do like having him around.

He has a couple of bad behaviors that I need to fix, and I'm not having much luck. He's not my dog, so I can't just arbitrarily put a shock collar on him though that might be negotiated.

Twice, he has put teeth through a 2' exercise ball that I use for exercise therapy. Those aren't super expensive, but they aren't free, either. He also likes to sneak into the front room and curl up on one of the soft chairs, which is strictly forbidden.

Recently I caught him in the soft chair, and had a recently destroyed exercise ball close at hand. It's soft, and couldn't really hurt him, though you might be able to crush a fly with it. So I flogged him with that. The point was to make him think he was getting killed without inflicting pain.

Yesterday, I was inflating the replacement ball. He took one look at that and quickly slunk away. He may be over his fascination with exercise balls.

Today, he was back on the chair so this time I applied a small amount of toe as I kicked him outdoors.

I don't want to actually hurt him, and I don't want to turn him into a cowering dog. The discipline I've applied leaves him shaking, and I don't like that, but so far, it just doesn't seem to "register" with him. There must be a better way.

Ideas?

Why is this your problem? You didn't say how old the grandson was but I would tell him to train the dog, get the dog out of the house, or move out himself.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Ideas?

Why is this your problem? You didn't say how old the grandson was but I would tell him to train the dog, get the dog out of the house, or move out himself.

Denton stated earlier that his grandson is 13.

Took our 9 month old GSP to her first training class last night. Up till now I've been working with her on my own but she needs additional distraction/socialization. I figured she'd spaz out over being in the presence of other dogs which she did. Barely under control while wearing a harness a couple of instructors suggested trying a prong collar instead of a choke collar. Difference in her composure was like night and day. She calmed down immediately and was more focused and attentive to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Where's all the guys that said a year old dog ought to be fully trained to obey every command by that age?

Isn't everyone's dog flawlessly trained by a year old? whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a Lab and my wife didn't want him up on the furniture. We bought a doggie couch (very low to the ground, attractive and - - - his). If he tried to get up on our furniture we just said a stern "NO" and re-directed him to his furniture. We also kept him off the bed by just saying "NO". He usually slept on the floor, on my side of the bed. There is no trick to it except for being consistent. Everyone in the household uses the same word and uses it every time pup tries to get away with it. If the dog can not be trusted when you are away, crate him. You can use the crate as a "time-out". If pup won't listen to you, crate him. Leave him in there for awhile. There were times when my dog would do something he knew he wasn't supposed to and all I had to do was give him a harsh look and he would slink off and crate himself.

We sometimes dog sit a friend's dog and she is allowed up on their furniture. We know we are not going to break her of this in the short time we have her. We just drag her off our furniture and place stuff on the furniture that we are not occupying that makes it difficult for her to get comfortable and if that's not working, we crate her.

Dog training is all about establishing your dominance and being consistent and persistent. I also believe in using food and praise for positive reinforcement of good behavior.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/17/18.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Ideas?

Denton stated earlier that his grandson is 13.

Took our 9 month old GSP to her first training class last night. Up till now I've been working with her on my own but she needs additional distraction/socialization. I figured she'd spaz out over being in the presence of other dogs which she did. Barely under control while wearing a harness a couple of instructors suggested trying a prong collar instead of a choke collar. Difference in her composure was like night and day. She calmed down immediately and was more focused and attentive to me.

great idea to get dog in classes with other dogs and people , trainers to socialize and learn how to train

money very well spent

Having an untrained dog can be expensive, stressful and a pain to own

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Years ago, a half starved, abused year-old beagle followed my son home, and we adopted him. That dog was seriously grateful for the rest of his life, and would do anything he could to please us.

This dog loves us, and wants to be close to us, but seems to be very easily tempted to misbehave. He's a dog. He's young. He forgets.

I discovered that my grandson has been letting the dog sleep in his bed with him at night. And that's the consistency issue. It's hard for a dog to understand why one human will invite him up on a bed, but another disciplines him for being on a soft chair. So I've got the dog in bed thing stopped. The dog does have a comfortable bed, and is going to have to be content sleeping next to the human bed, not on it.

It would be a delight to train him to do something useful, like pheasant hunting or working cattle. He loves the water. But pheasants are pretty scarce around here, and I left the cows behind many decades ago. I don't think any of that is in his future. So far, his main useful skill seems to be announcing visitors. He is good at that, and I let him know I appreciate his vigilance.

Be not weary in well doing.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sleeping in bed...

It's an alpha dog/dominance thing. Dog needs to learn that you are the alpha. You eat before him, you go through doorways before him, everything you do you lead he follows. Once that is established then he can get up on the bed AFTER he's commanded to do so.

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
[Linked Image]

Right now all's right with his world.

Handsome little guy, isn't he?

Last edited by denton; 01/17/18.

Be not weary in well doing.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I see an aura of mischief... grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Sleeping in bed...

It's an alpha dog/dominance thing. Dog needs to learn that you are the alpha. You eat before him, you go through doorways before him, everything you do you lead he follows. Once that is established then he can get up on the bed AFTER he's commanded to do so.

Many fail to understand this.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Right now all's right with his world.

Handsome little guy, isn't he?

He is, he looks happy chewing on that there stick.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,500
Posts18,452,470
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.