D
It's a fine Corinthian rawhide chew.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Crate train him. Actually, have the grandson do it.

The dog will thank you many times over across the ensuing years, for always having a safe, comfortable, and known place to call his own.

Nice thing is that crate's are transportable, so the dog can be at home wherever you take him.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Put something in the chair that's uncomfortable or impossible to be in it with and leave it there. It's not rocket science.

This^^^, like rotten chicken. Whoops, i forgot. Thats what you tie to a dogs collar for a week if it kills chickens.

Has anyone mentioned, to train a dog you gotta be smarter than the dog?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by denton
Years ago, a half starved, abused year-old beagle followed my son home, and we adopted him. That dog was seriously grateful for the rest of his life, and would do anything he could to please us.

This dog loves us, and wants to be close to us, but seems to be very easily tempted to misbehave. He's a dog. He's young. He forgets.

I discovered that my grandson has been letting the dog sleep in his bed with him at night. And that's the consistency issue. It's hard for a dog to understand why one human will invite him up on a bed, but another disciplines him for being on a soft chair. So I've got the dog in bed thing stopped. The dog does have a comfortable bed, and is going to have to be content sleeping next to the human bed, not on it.

It would be a delight to train him to do something useful, like pheasant hunting or working cattle. He loves the water. But pheasants are pretty scarce around here, and I left the cows behind many decades ago. I don't think any of that is in his future. So far, his main useful skill seems to be announcing visitors. He is good at that, and I let him know I appreciate his vigilance.

Yes, take a rabbit hound pheasant hunting. Take a video of this circus and make some money.

Remember, bird dogs fer birds, cow dogs fer cows, an rebbit dawgs fer rebbits, and uh, be smarter then tha dawg. wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/17/18.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
And about those expensive furniture legs, you better pee on a rag and wipe them down real good, or keep him in beef bones.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
be smarter then tha dawg

Maybe that's my fundamental problem.....

Today he wanted to play, so I went looking for his squeeky toy ball. Actually, he has three of them because he tends to lose them under the couch and in other places where he can't reach. None were to be found. So I looked at him and said, "Have you lost your balls?"

Bad choice of questions.

He went to the vet just a few days ago.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
be smarter then tha dawg

Maybe that's my fundamental problem.....

Today he wanted to play, so I went looking for his squeeky toy ball. Actually, he has three of them because he tends to lose them under the couch and in other places where he can't reach. None were to be found. So I looked at him and said, "Have you lost your balls?"

Bad choice of questions.

He went to the vet just a few days ago.

that's funny.

In off season I get my dog to stay in house and go hide his toy or duck or pheasant wing somewhere in house where he cant see me hide the thing. . Then give command to find. Try to use hand signals to help locate. Helps with bored dog.

Most working breeds need something to keep mind and body active or experience the negative, destructive behavior.

I might have an extra wing laying around can send if interested pm me.

Last edited by ribka; 01/18/18.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

Right now all's right with his world.

Handsome little guy, isn't he?

good looking pup

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Vet, huh? You deserve to have your junk chewed up. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
You deserve to have your junk chewed up

Well, he would think so if he understood what we did to him!

Several people suggested a crate, and I think that is a great idea. Dogs pretty well know what belongs to them, and to give him is own place might be a big help. Also, there are times when all of us have to leave the house, and so far the solution has been to put him outside on his zip line. That has been OK, since we've had an extremely mild winter, but it's not ideal. An indoor place of his own would be much better.

Now I'm thinking of a game where he finds his squeeky toy. He would enjoy that, if I can teach him.

Last edited by denton; 01/18/18.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It makes life much easier and much safer for dog.

The collapsable wire crates are more portable. I just cover with a blanket and place in the corner of a room

https://www.petmd.com/dog/puppycenter/potty-training/evr_dg_crate_training_for_puppies

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leaving a newspaper in chair was a cure for one of our long ago dogs.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
C

A pup might whine for a short time due to separation anxiety, when first placed in a crate overnight.
Keeping the crate close his master's bed side will go far to lessen that anxiety.

and all the more easier if the master has himself been relegated the doghouse.

Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Sleeping in bed...

It's an alpha dog/dominance thing. Dog needs to learn that you are the alpha. You eat before him,
you go through doorways before him, everything you do you lead he follows..

Times we had intruders or strange noise I allowed the shepherd to lead through doorways or into the rear yard
...even when just generally checking out the yard the dog would scout ahead of his own fruition.
Doorbell rings or people approach the gate?....they almost always be greeted by a dogs face before mine.

Thinking back, he unhesistantly did point duty so much he really deserved to sleep on the couche
much more often.

When generally walking him, he was also typically forward positioned on a lead, yet never failed
to understand who was boss if a postiion change was required.

Master eat first LOL ..? never bothered with that either ,all depending he would eat before, after or with us,
and it made schite amount of difference to the dogs obedience.

Originally Posted by BKinSD
Finally, dogs are like kids. They are not all the same. .

and dogs are like kids in that they soon know when they have a master they can manipulate.

Which brings me to teachers, memorably ,we had a secondary one that did next to nothing to keep his class
highly disciplined, yet those same students would run riot around other teachers who tried their darndest to
control them.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We crate trained my Little Pup. She loves it. I bought the crate and set it up but never forced her into it, Let her get used to it and enticed her into it with treats while telling her to kennel up. After a couple of weeks I started locking her in. Never bothered her at all.

We put her in there at night at first I would get up every three hours to let her outside to do her business, Now she goes all night without making a mess, If she is getting to excitable when the Granddaughters are over we tell her to kennel up she goes right in and lays down till she and the girls settle down.

I have a nice roofed kennel for her for when we are at work but with the extreme cold we have been having we have had to crate her several days instead. I think she likes it better than being outside in the bigger kennel.

Every time I take her out to do her business when we come back in I tell her to kennel up. She jumps right in the crate sometime we have to coax her out of it. Its the best thing we have done so far makes her life and ours easier. When she gets in trouble she goes to her crate on her own.

Now if we could just get her completely house trained we would be doing good. Cant get her to let us know when she needs to go out. She will go outside if you take her out but if you arent watching for signs of her needing to go she just goes inside. We have tried bells on the door. She knows when the ring that its time to go out but she wont ring them herself.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Now if we could just get her completely house trained we would be doing good. Cant get her to let us know when she needs to go out. She will go outside if you take her out but if you arent watching for signs of her needing to go she just goes inside. We have tried bells on the door. She knows when the ring that its time to go out but she wont ring them herself.

With our GSP pup it was body lanquage. We noticed right quick that if she started to sniff the floor and her tail was straight vertical she needed to go out. We take her out front on her leash to pee. She won't usually poop when on the leash so then we put her out in a fenced back yard. Now she will bump the front door with her nose if she needs to pee, she'll bump the back door and stare at us if she needs to go out back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

With our GSP pup it was body lanquage. We noticed right quick that if she started to sniff the floor and her tail was straight vertical she needed to go out. We take her out front on her leash to pee. She won't usually poop when on the leash so then we put her out in a fenced back yard. Now she will bump the front door with her nose if she needs to pee, she'll bump the back door and stare at us if she needs to go out back.

Yep I can usually tell when she needs to go if I see her.but im not always in the same room. Well keep trying the bells on.the door.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I didn't have much trouble house training my pup. I would just take him outside every hour for a few minutes and let him do whatever it was he needed to do. He got the message fairly early.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The chewing is hard.

To keep my dogs off the furniture, I would just lay Aluminum foil on them. They hate it, or at least mine did. Do that for a month or two and they'll stay on the floor.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 6 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.