Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I've got a 23B 25-20 headed my way. It's been drilled and tapped on the top. Have you any of you had a 23 mounted on the top? I'm wondering what bases are the closest to the contour of the 23 receiver? I can make a set of mounts out of Weaver type blank stock but if a 700 front ring or Model 70 is the right contour it would save a lot of work. Any of you already been down this road? ?

GB1

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Weaver has em for the 23 if it was D&T for them

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'll look in Strobel's book and see if I can find the exact ones. I have a 23B with Weaver mounts but can't see the numbers on 'em.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The 23 series of rifles (A,AA,B, C and D) had two holes drilled and tapped on the top of the receiver at the rear. This was for a factory made peep sight. Are these the holes you are talking about? Anything else could be a bit of a crap shoot.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
S99VG, this rifle has been drilled and tapped. Looks like a #15 and #16 Weaver are what I need. Will have to see when I get the rifle in hand if the spacing is right.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nick Strobel's book has an old Weaver mount chart that says that the 23 takes a #16 mount (rear) and a #17 (front). Hope this helps.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
S99VG, this rifle has been drilled and tapped. Looks like a #15 and #16 Weaver are what I need. Will have to see when I get the rifle in hand if the spacing is right.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your quest.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
25+ years ago I bought one just because I thought it was something different. A financial issue forced a sale soon after I got it. Now I can afford more toys, I'm hoping I can get as much enjoyment out of this Savage as the 99s have brought me. I also don't think it will be as hard on the bird feeders when repelling squirrels as a 12 gauge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tinkered with scoping a 23AA (later version with 3 holes in top rear of receiver).

I found that the Weaver one piece mount for the Axis (#506 or 48347, same base different number, full picatinny style, 6 7/8") has holes that mate with the back two receiver holes on the late 23's and 19's.

The problem: the barrel/receiver is one piece and tapers from muzzle to just behind the ejection port. So, there is nothing under the front of the scope base and no hole to screw to. The base is thin and will flex. Also, the curvature is for a slightly larger diameter receiver so using just two rear screws does not stop side movement. An additional screw hole in the receiver would fix the problem but not wanting to drill holes I stopped there.

Anyone have an idea for attaching the front of the base other than tapping a hole?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I made a scope mount for a 23D out of basic 22 dovetail stock bought from Brownells. I drilled it to match the three holes at the rear of the receiver and then cantilevered it a bit over the ejection port. Obviously you need to use 22 dovetail rings, which held well with the 22 Hornet.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S99VG
I made a scope mount for a 23D out of basic 22 dovetail stock bought from Brownells. I drilled it to match the three holes at the rear of the receiver and then cantilevered it a bit over the ejection port. Obviously you need to use 22 dovetail rings, which held well with the 22 Hornet.

I have a 23D deluxe version that has a Weaver N mount. I believe it's either N7 or N4. When I get home tonight, I'll take a look and report back. When I bought it in 20011, the consensus was that it was factory.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

I too have used that dovetail stock from Brownell's for projects beyond what it's intended for. The latest venture was to adapt a 6" piece of it as a base for mounting a scope on an old German kiplauf .22 Hornet, by drilling holes to mate up to existing threaded holes in the narrow top flat of the octagon barrel, milling the bottom to reduce overall height, and then milling the sides to taper down to the width of the flat. The biggest hassle was in finding rings to fill my needs- mounting a 3/4" vintage Redfield 4x (looks like a scaled down Weaver K4). I found a set of vintage Redfield 3/4" rings of tip-off style and I was in business, and I remember there being nicely sculpted 1" rings floating around out there too that would've worked also. Joe Martin has seen (and shot) the gun.

My point is, that Brownell's tip-off dovetail stock is pretty versatile for offbeat applications. Mating it to a round receiver will require milling a radius in the bottom surface though- no big deal for a gunsmith with a mill (or better yet, a local machinist or hobbyist).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
At the time I did my 23D, about 15-years ago, Brownells sold dovetail stock that was cut with a radius on the bottom for round receivers. They offered it in two different sizes. I haven't look at a Brownells catalog in several years so it may no longer be available.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I know this wasn't the question ,but the weaver sidemount is a number 2,just i case some here are interested. Don

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Loggah
I know this wasn't the question ,but the weaver sidemount is a number 2,just i case some here are interested. Don

Always interested in all things Savage!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

I have a 23D deluxe version that has a Weaver N mount. I believe it's either N7 or N4. When I get home tonight, I'll take a look and report back. When I bought it in 20011, the consensus was that it was factory.

A little late, but here's the picture of my rifle and Weaver mount. As you can see, it is a T1

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And this is a 23B with a Weaver 1 piece top mount, #52

[Linked Image]

And with the scope mounted.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice pair of 23's, Steve.

It would be nice to have a base that fit the rear sight dove tail and the rear holes on the receiver so you didn't have to D&T. Another item for the Wish List.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Picking up the rifle tomorrow. Can I move the front ring on a Weaver V-8 enough to use it on the 23B do you think?

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

728 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 3,292 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.