Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i know i well die someday, i just don't worry about it and try to enjoy my life.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stepping of off a hole on my favorite salmon river.
Exhaling my last breath while continuing to sink and be swept downstream.
Looking death in the eye.

A last moment boulder that I kicked off of saved my life.

I should have drown...

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
13 May 1969 not far from Chu Lai.

23 October 1983, 06:22 am, Beirut...

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Da Nang when I made it into a sandbag bunker about 1 second before a rocket exploded the plane I'd been standing beside. Thank God for sandbags.

1Minute
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Got smashed up pretty good at work a few years back, should have been much worse. At that time I realized what a bind my young wife and 1st son would have been in had it been worse.....

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
well i guess when i fell out the back eyeballs truck when he moved while i was still standing up and i only broke and dislocated my collar bone, then i drove 700 miles home and almost ran off the rd but hit a guard rail, but i took in stride because i wasn't dead. could of broke my neck i guess.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
toss up between flipping a swing set at 6 yrs old

Or that time when i mounted that 850 thermoquad on a big block 67 coronet 440, when them manual secondaries opened up...sounded like a toilet flushing

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yeah....about when my first child was born.

Then I got into the Emergency Services and got to be around a bunch of dead people.......but one call in particular stands out.

I will be 35 next month......and using my rudimentary math skills.....puts me at half way to 70.

That was a bummer!

35 ain't no bummer,.....45 ain't even a bummer.

35?? I'd give my left nut to be 35. Wait a minute, that would defeat the purpose......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jan 4, 2010.
Car accident.
Right at sunset.
-4 degrees temp.
Whiplash.
Never been the same since.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sitting on a porta-crapper in Iraq...I hear a swiiiisssshhhhh BANG!. The porta-crapper shakes and is peppered with gravel and shrapnel...no harm to me, and that chit wasn't a difficult one!! That was an eye-opener.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I first felt it at 20. Had a lard-ass "deputy sheriff" point his revolver at my chest for what he thought was a minor game law violation (it wasn't) while I was standing there holding a shotgun in my hands. Pucker factor was sky high.

Now I feel it all the time. I've got four older brothers, oldest is 74 with cancer that's metastasized. They'll all probably pass before I do. So I think more about that than my own mortality. I'll most likely be the last one standing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It was not a single instance but a cumulation of a few over several months.

First was answering a call for a baby not breathing 3 days after getting my EMT certification. Was the first one on the scene and realized that there was nothing that could be done and called it. I was 21 years old.

Second was less than two months later. Call behind my house for an overdose. It was a guy I knew very well only 2 years older than me. We worked him to the hospital to no success. Turned out to be an embolism that could hit anyone at any time.

Next, I was beaten to an inch of my life responding to a bar fight. I knew everyone there to some extent and thought there would be no problem. Alcohol can change people's attitudes and I really didn't know them all as well as I thought. Thankfully, one guy thought I was too young to die and stopped the rest before I was hurt too bad. Only spent three days in the hospital and 5 off work.

Last, I lost my wife in an accident. Panel truck went through an intersection and broadsided her. Luckily, it was not in my jurisdiction as I was working.

By the time I turned 23 I realized no one lives forever and that I had 2 roads to code from. I almost screwed up there.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
17 came up with a tumor in the side of my face and had to have it removed. Took 2 years to mostly heal, now 50 plus years later there are still side effects. About 5 years ago a Urologist decided I had to have cancer and he could do lots of surgery; I got depressed, decided to let it take it's course rather than spending all my wife's inheritance on a miserable existence for a year, and also got a second opinion. He was wrong. SOB

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Many times.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sunday August 23, 2015......in the ER when the doc told me I had cancer.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
I first felt it at 20. Had a lard-ass "deputy sheriff" point his revolver at my chest for what he thought was a minor game law violation (it wasn't) while I was standing there holding a shotgun in my hands. Pucker factor was sky high.

Now I feel it all the time. I've got four older brothers, oldest is 74 with cancer that's metastasized. They'll all probably pass before I do. So I think more about that than my own mortality. I'll most likely be the last one standing.

You never know. Barry Gibb is the oldest BeeGee and the only one left. His brothers died at 30, 53, and 62.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
January 10 1985.

The day the back was cut open and i was without legs.

It does make one think differently about things and changes up just what you will put up with.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by smokepole

You never know. Barry Gibb is the oldest BeeGee and the only one left. His brothers died at 30, 53, and 62.

I never would have guessed you to be a fan.

Bu seriously, none of us can sing.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've worked my entire life in some form of Emergency services and ER nursing, now a flight nurse. Seen way too many people with life altering and life ending injuries and illness. While I am responsible enough to plan for the future, I live for today. Have a soon to be 4 month old son I had late in life ( I'm 44) so my "future" planning has changed a little, but if I still consider today the most important day of my life. I hope some day my son has so damn many guns he doesn't have a clue what to do with them, and each one has a memory in his mind of something he and I did together with it.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Nov. 1966 south of Dak To, RVN the trooper on line in front of me was shot in the head. 4 days later on a Co. patrol 79 casualties out of 116 reporting in less than 3 hours, I realized that I may not live forever. Life has been a little boring since those days.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,247
Posts18,466,921
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.