Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have absolutely no need for a portable saw mill. That said...need has nothing to do with it. I want one of these suckers!

Is there actually an opportunity to make money from them? Are they usefull if you need the lumber? Or is it more of a toy to have around and have some fun with?

I have been seeing a lot of advertisement for the Norwood Portable Sawmill. Does anyone here have any experience with them? I'm all ears to other manufacturers.

Camp is where you make it.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The closer to zero the value of your time is, the more money you can make.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I 'want' one too!
Never seen the Norwood but have gone to a nearby Hudson dealer and they let my wife and I saw several boards with one. Not a lot of skill required the best that I could tell.
When you already have timber-we live on 75 acres covered in hardwoods it just seems like we should have one.
A guy out the road has a fairly high end one. Brings it to your site, saws logs and takes part of the lumber or cash in exchange.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wood Mixer has been the standard for a very long time... lots of copycats out there. Whatever mill you choose, Suffolk Machine is the place to get your blades and advice on running a mill.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com

Hard to make money with any sawmill unless it is equipped with lots of horsepower to move the logs and lumber around. It also can be tough to get rid of the waste which often determines how well the mill pencils out. Not much of a get rich quick scheme.

They are a lot of fun though!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raeford
I 'want' one too!
Never seen the Norwood but have gone to a nearby Hudson dealer and they let my wife and I saw several boards with one. Not a lot of skill required the best that I could tell.
When you already have timber-we live on 75 acres covered in hardwoods it just seems like we should have one.
A guy out the road has a fairly high end one. Brings it to your site, saws logs and takes part of the lumber or cash in exchange.

No real trick to cutting slabs from an already mounted log, but there is a tremendous bit of skill in setting the saw up, getting the most out of a log, recognizing when something starts to go wrong and knowing how to correct it. Also knowing how to get the most out of different species is not something that comes without lots of time.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you like uncertified unkilned lumber, go ahead. Friend of mine had a Woodmizer. He had one of $20k ones with the integrated trailer, self loadind hydraulic arms and more.

All he did was cut raw lumber packages (mostly tulip poplar) for the many different dark-fired tobbacco operations. Barn lumber.

No lending institution that I know of around here will let you build a house with raw lumber due powder post beetles (lyctid and bostrichidae). I suppose if youre self-funding your dream home you can use elephant dung bricks if you want. Unless your tax assessor of property pops you, but doubt you'd make it thru codes inspections anyway first.

I wish my buddy still had his mill, I'd like build a hunting cabin. I have about 15 acres of mature red cedar. Some 18" DBH stems.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Those portable setups look cool. I’ve always had thoughts of taking down some timber on family property and having the wood milled to build furniture.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Wood Mixer has been the standard for a very long time... lots of copycats out there. Whatever mill you choose, Suffolk Machine is the place to get your blades and advice on running a mill.

Hard to make money with any sawmill unless it is equipped with lots of horsepower to move the logs and lumber around. It also can be tough to get rid of the waste which often determines how well the mill pencils out. Not much of a get rich quick scheme.

waste becomes your firewood ,,or somebody elses. .
my friend with a boat yard has one that is set up for 40' cuts builds docks and such , one guy up here is doing slabs up to 6 feet wide [we do have trees that big.
they also cut stumps [washed off of course ] for signs and address numbers , just tell your friends to look for the 10' tall stump on its side ,
THATS MY DRIVEWAY,.

VALUE ADDED what is your imagination ,where will it take you.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A friend in NM built one of those saw mills that uses the Suffolk band blades.

He was an excellent welder and fabricator, and you couldn't tell the mill wasn't factory made.

He ran enough wood through the mill to build his house, and quit milling wood afterwards. I know a nail would total one of his blades, and he was frustrated with the numbers of nails he found. Or fencing staples. etc.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a timberking "BELSAW" circular saw i use . Its what used to be called a portable sawmill ! The answers to all your sawmill questions can be found here . Don

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You can sell tulip poplar around here to farmers about as fast as you can mill it.
Between barns, sheds and fence panels they use it plenty.

FJB & FJT
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by kingston
The closer to zero the value of your time is, the more money you can make.

LOL. True

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Around here the going rate is $200/ 1000 board ft.

The woodmizers got popular after Katrina. Lot of timber on the ground after it came thru.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I 'want' one too!

I got a 5 year plan....2 years to convince the wife it's a good idea. grin

Actually, when the new baby tzone isn't in daycare we're going to build a cabin. I want it to make the trim and interior boards, making the smoke shack, grilling area, and just plain pissing around to keep me busy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by norm99

waste becomes your firewood ,,or somebody elses. .
my friend with a boat yard has one that is set up for 40' cuts builds docks and such , one guy up here is doing slabs up to 6 feet wide [we do have trees that big.
they also cut stumps [washed off of course ] for signs and address numbers , just tell your friends to look for the 10' tall stump on its side ,
THATS MY DRIVEWAY,.

VALUE ADDED what is your imagination ,where will it take you.

norm

Having been around a number of mill operations there have been very few with no waste issues. Most will not like feeding slash to their stove and any modest operation makes a lot of slash.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've built a couple of pieces of furniture over the last 2-3 years at my wifes request.
I make it a point to show how expensive the lumber is.
Brother has a planer he no longer uses I can get cheap.
We have oak, hickory, beech, walnut, poplar, cherry, cedar and a little pine at our disposal.
If we stay where we are, I'll have one some day.

FJB & FJT
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not much of a get rich quick scheme.

I'm not looking for a get rich quick type of deal. I'm sure I'll get some folks that want boards made though.

Plus, my step-dad is cabinet maker, so we can get some cool crap made. cool

Last edited by tzone; 01/17/18.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tzone

I'm not looking for a get rich quick type of deal. I'm sure I'll get some folks that want boards made though.

Most operations I have seen will cut wood for half the lumber. Grade is everything in lumber, even green, and how they split the lumber has a lot to do with how they come out in the deal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've built a couple of pieces of furniture over the last 2-3 years at my wifes request.
I make it a point to show how expensive the lumber is.
Brother has a planer he no longer uses I can get cheap.
We have oak, hickory, beech, walnut, poplar, cherry, cedar and a little pine at our disposal.
If we stay where we are, I'll have one some day.

Saving money by using your own mill to cut your own lumber is not going to happen! But a fellow can, and should, dream a little!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tzone

Then you will need a kiln.Saw mills are kind of like boats.Always something you are going to need for one.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.