-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My lodge deep skillet with a lid took years to get smooth. My dutch oven seems to be taking a lot longer but I do a lot of braising in it and i think the acidic nature of the braising liquid is holding it up,

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The lodge “pre-seasoned” pans would more accurately be called “Here, you finish it.” Have found simply following their directions using healthy amount of crisco in one, at most two, cycles in the oven turns out a fine result.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I also have a 12 qt. dutch oven - don't use it much .

All my Lodge was rough as a cob , that's what internet people said needed grinded [ground] off so I got a fiber grinding wheel chucked up on a drill and took it outside and smoothed them out inside and edges .

I'll try some more seasoning them - as MontanaMan said they don't need babied , my Grandma paid her zero attention as far as I know - that's what I wanted .

Got them cooling -going to give them another treatment tonight and if the season comes off ---oh well ..

When I read that Lewis & Clark left with Lodge cast iron cookware and came home with two things -their guns and their lodge cookware -- I had to have some. smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
My lodge deep skillet with a lid took years to get smooth. My dutch oven seems to be taking a lot longer but I do a lot of braising in it and i think the acidic nature of the braising liquid is holding it up,

I've noticed that after braising with red wine in my dutch oven.Ir inse well after use and a good layer of crisco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flax seed oil. Very thin coats wiped on and stick in oven about 400 for an hour and shut heat off, let oven cool without opening door. 5-7 Times the same process, pan upside down in oven.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

J
JJD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Flax seed oil. Very thin coats wiped on and stick in oven about 400 for an hour and shut heat off, let oven cool without opening door. 5-7 Times the same process, pan upside down in oven.

Thanks Sandbilly, I wrote it on my fridge grocery list ...

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by ol_mike
If you leave olive oil in the skillet overnight after cooking a steak will that mess the skillet up ?
Should they always be wiped out immediately ?

That won't hurt it..............it's Cast Iron, it doesn't need to be babied too much.

MM

Yep....i use olive oil in mine all the time.
Regardless of what oil I use I wash them immediatly with hot water and a sponge and then dry em on the stove.
The eight incher that I cook my eggs in (with butter and evo) every day goes right back on the stove, the others get wiped down with a little lard and stored in a cupboard.

One thing I don't do is cook anything with tomatoes in them....other than that I use em for dam near anything.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My sister said there are some studies out there that people wit Old Timers disease have a higher probability of them using Aluminum pans . This is why I only use cast iron, your body needs it anyway. We gave our sone a Lodge cast iron pan . Just use it for beacon or butter N eggs. Sometimes I leave it in oil for a while and seldom clean it.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
IC B3

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Yep FieldGrade I learned my lesson early on with tomato stuff - in my case it was spagetti sauce , ate the seasoning right off my dutch oven .

Thanks to everyone .

I'm subscribed on Cowboy Kent Rollins channel ., I love old timey stuff like that ..

Last edited by ol_mike; 01/17/18.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use my lodge more than my Wagners and griswolds. The rough texture doesn't make it more sticky imo. Fwiw, my lodge is 25 years old. I have cooked every food known, but I have never washed it.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've used flax seed oil like Edwin 264 and it has held up well. I love my cast iron cookware and
have many pieces including a Griswold skillet that I got from my grandmother. I am always on
the lookout for more. Have a friend who got a new piece of Lodge ware, unseasoned. He carried
it to his favorite Chinese food place and had them season it. They did it while he waited and it
didn't take long. I worked one summer building tow boats. One day at quitting time,the foreman told
us to bring our cast iron the next day if we wanted it cleaned up. Seems they were prepping the
tow boat for painting the next day by sand blasting. Put your name on the bottom with an electric
engraver and at quitting time; your cast iron was like brand new; ready to be seasoned! A nice
perk thought up by the foreman. He was a remarkable man with a 6th grade education. He carried
the plans to 3 different sizes of tow boats in his head. The boss always wanted him to work with
a marine architect and convert his knowledge to paper. He always refused saying "then you wouldn't
have any use for me". He could make anything out of metal. I've never seen any one with his
skills with a cutting torch. He lost his father at an early age in the Depression and quit school to
support his family working in a blacksmith shop.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mike...some good advice here. Sandbilly nailed it.

I've completly stripped down and seasoned quite a few CI impliments using an electrolysis bath. Always used Veg oil to season.

Use the absolute thinnest coat on all surfaces. I use a paper towel to apply.

With the pan turned upside down in a gas BBQ and using an IR thermometer to keep the pan temp around 450, I let each application "cook off" for 30-45 minutes.

...then I repeat up to 5 times. The process generates a fair amount of smoke, so outdoors is a good way to go. I keep things hot between applications.

I've brought a few relics back from the dead.

Old CI trumps new due to the finer grain sand used in the casting process, although I do have a new Lodge that works just fine.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My mother said never season cast iron with any oil or grease containing salt! Use lard not shortening! The only one of mine that was hard to season is a large chicken fryer (Lodge brand)! I finally used a scotch Brite pad on a angle grinder and smoothed it well! Then lard and in the oven several times! Now to clean I bring water to a boil, dump and wipe dry, coat with oil wipe out excess done! My Griswold 9" skillet is my favorite!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

And for the love of all things holy, wipe the outside with your oil so it doesn’t look ghetto when hanging.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Pure home rendered hog lard is the only thing I ever saw my maternal grandmother use to fry or bake anything in her cast iron skillets.
Mom used Crisco solid vegetable shortening in a can sometimes but her cast iron skillet was already a slick, well seasoned hand-me-down.
We have my Mom's old skillet now and have used it for years.
Besides lard we've used all types of commercial liquid and solid vegetable shortenings but apparently it is so well seasoned from countless years of use nothing has affected the flavor of food cooked it yet.
To my knowledge it has never been washed with soap or an abrasive cleanser of any kind.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boggy Creek Ranger claimed all you had to do to season a cast iron skillet was to make cornbread in it a couple times before cooking anything else in it.

He’s right.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

My secret to finding GREAT cast iron skillets & other pieces is to HAUNT the Salvation Army & Goodwill stores for OLD cast iron. ======> MUCH better cast iron than Lodge or the other "modern" stuff.

I've recently bought pieces at Goodwiill for 1-8 bucks each.
(My TREASURE is a 12" Dutch Oven with lid for 7.00 plus tax. - I use it mostly for frying chicken & making stews.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Bought Lodge deep skillet and shallow skillet that can be a lid/top .

It was already lightly seasoned , used per directions and they wouldn't get slick black like my Grannys old pans .

Did some research - more than one innerwebber expert said grind off old seasoning - went to lowes depot got grinding wheel - ground down inside to bare metal and smooth seasoned it - put in oven per directions - came out -ok- .
Used it cleaned it according to directions , starts getting black/well seasoned then seasoning peels here and there . Do more research ''always use solid'' like lard they mean -had been using olive oil .
Used crisco lard to season the damn thing 2-3 times a week --fighting it -- I bought the things to cut down on dishwashing -why am I fighting these skillets .

Not heating it up too hot or too fast . not getting them wet - no soap of coarse .

I have them in the oven right now on 375* waiting for the hour to pass - any help/advise to keep me from turning them into steel shooting plates . smile
No offense but I think if you'll just quit worrying about it and use it, it will be fine and you'll enjoy some good eats. I've got old ones that were my Mom's and Grandma's and I've got Wagners and Lodge's that we've bought. They are all fine. Honestly, I usually do use dish soap and water, then oil it up using whatever I've got. Ours are black and I haven't lost the seasoning much like everybody claims. Stuff tastes great out of them. I don't put them in the oven and re-season every time either. If they get splotchy, IDGAF. Have used about every oil imaginable on them. One of the big makers used to recommend Planter's Peanut Oil and we used that quite a bit. I've used Olive oil, corn oil, vegetable oil and I don't know what else to oil them up afterwards and to cook with. I expect the initial seasoning on the new ones was usually Peanut Oil though. I think it was ScottF who turned me on to using Safflower oil which is supposedly the best.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (007FJ, 257 mag, 44mc, 163bc, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.