Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Bought Lodge deep skillet and shallow skillet that can be a lid/top .

It was already lightly seasoned , used per directions and they wouldn't get slick black like my Grannys old pans .

Did some research - more than one innerwebber expert said grind off old seasoning - went to lowes depot got grinding wheel - ground down inside to bare metal and smooth seasoned it - put in oven per directions - came out -ok- .
Used it cleaned it according to directions , starts getting black/well seasoned then seasoning peels here and there . Do more research ''always use solid'' like lard they mean -had been using olive oil .
Used crisco lard to season the damn thing 2-3 times a week --fighting it -- I bought the things to cut down on dishwashing -why am I fighting these skillets .

Not heating it up too hot or too fast . not getting them wet - no soap of coarse .

I have them in the oven right now on 375* waiting for the hour to pass - any help/advise to keep me from turning them into steel shooting plates . smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I got my great grandmothers skillet. It has not been used for years. I rinsed it off and heated it up. I did not take off the old seasoning. I used bacon grease to cook eggs. It worked like grandma had just put it away.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use and patience.....they'll come around.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just go get a few pounds of bacon and have a feast.

It will get there just takes some time with them.

After a few cooks it gets better.
If you do wash it don't dry with a towel put it on the stove top burner on high heat and flame dry.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Get a good supply of bacon, start eating it as often as possible and just wiping out and scraping the skillet when you use it...even if it takes a while to season this way, at least you'll have the bacon.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Use and patience.....they'll come around.

This, all of grandmas skillets were seasoned by years of meals

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're overthinking it.....................use with oil or grease; when done wipe it out with paper towel to remove excess, add water, heat on burner, lightly scrape any remaining residue with spatula, rinse, wipe & put away until you need it again.

MM

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ol Mike,

Have you seen this site. This is their drop down on seasoning. If youve seen it just disregard.

Good luck

http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
BWS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Shoot it,go find an old one at a flea mrkt or yard sale.Got a dz "user's" here,some from my Gmas,a few picked up here and there.The best,which DON'T have to be a "label"....are so slick you can see your reflection in the bttms,NO JOKE.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
If you leave olive oil in the skillet overnight after cooking a steak will that mess the skillet up ?
Should they always be wiped out immediately ?

That's the only thing I can think of that might make it peel , I've been using it for a year ??

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
need meat fat not vag oil

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Pure hog lard or bacon drippins' all I ever use.

Founder

WS

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I've cooked bacon in it 50 times or more , -more time ?

Posted by Bristoe
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Besides using it as much as possible, use flaxseed oil after it’s clean and dried over a burner while it’s still hot. Then bake it at 400 degrees for an hour. Then after it cools off, coat it again and go another hour on 400. Keep doing that until it gets nice and black to where you’re happy with it. Flaxseed oil is a drying type oil that doesn’t get sticky like vegetable oil. Oh, and while you’re baking it, turn them bottom side up. The easy way to strip a piece of cast iron is in the oven on self clean.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
If you leave olive oil in the skillet overnight after cooking a steak will that mess the skillet up ?

That won't hurt it..............it's Cast Iron, it doesn't need to be babied too much.

MM

B
BWS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The only thing a new Lodge is good for is baking potatoes and deep frying.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My experience is to keep using them and wash them when needed or wipe them out if only greasy. If something sticks like steak or sausage I just scrape it with the turning tool and cook it on the other side. Sometime s we clean them up with soap and water and Scotchbrite pads and grease the pan. After a while they season up ok. I don't understand how people cook without cast iron.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Bacon fat in ours whenever we leave the place.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i use crisco coating then into hot outdoor grill high temps cover closed. Cool down, wipe off , then same process two more times.

After use rinse out with water, wipe off on to burner a few minutes after spray with pam. Cool down, wipe off and put away.Took about 2 months of use to get the seasoning I wanted. Great stuff, much better than the non stick pans for cooking, baking and lasts forever if cared for.

Last edited by ribka; 01/17/18.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Butter works as well or better than bacon grease.

Once it is seasoned, cleanup is hot water and a chore pad. don't overdo the chore pad. wipe dry while warm. sometimes I will put a very light wipe of butter or grease on it after.

Our remote cabin cast-iron can go years between uses. I always leave it with a good coat of grease or Crisco on it, then wash before use again. No telling how many voles or shrews might have peed in it...... smile

Last edited by las; 01/17/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My lodge deep skillet with a lid took years to get smooth. My dutch oven seems to be taking a lot longer but I do a lot of braising in it and i think the acidic nature of the braising liquid is holding it up,

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The lodge “pre-seasoned” pans would more accurately be called “Here, you finish it.” Have found simply following their directions using healthy amount of crisco in one, at most two, cycles in the oven turns out a fine result.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I also have a 12 qt. dutch oven - don't use it much .

All my Lodge was rough as a cob , that's what internet people said needed grinded [ground] off so I got a fiber grinding wheel chucked up on a drill and took it outside and smoothed them out inside and edges .

I'll try some more seasoning them - as MontanaMan said they don't need babied , my Grandma paid her zero attention as far as I know - that's what I wanted .

Got them cooling -going to give them another treatment tonight and if the season comes off ---oh well ..

When I read that Lewis & Clark left with Lodge cast iron cookware and came home with two things -their guns and their lodge cookware -- I had to have some. smile

Posted by Bristoe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
My lodge deep skillet with a lid took years to get smooth. My dutch oven seems to be taking a lot longer but I do a lot of braising in it and i think the acidic nature of the braising liquid is holding it up,

I've noticed that after braising with red wine in my dutch oven.Ir inse well after use and a good layer of crisco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flax seed oil. Very thin coats wiped on and stick in oven about 400 for an hour and shut heat off, let oven cool without opening door. 5-7 Times the same process, pan upside down in oven.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
JJD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Flax seed oil. Very thin coats wiped on and stick in oven about 400 for an hour and shut heat off, let oven cool without opening door. 5-7 Times the same process, pan upside down in oven.

Thanks Sandbilly, I wrote it on my fridge grocery list ...

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

That won't hurt it..............it's Cast Iron, it doesn't need to be babied too much.

MM

Yep....i use olive oil in mine all the time.
Regardless of what oil I use I wash them immediatly with hot water and a sponge and then dry em on the stove.
The eight incher that I cook my eggs in (with butter and evo) every day goes right back on the stove, the others get wiped down with a little lard and stored in a cupboard.

One thing I don't do is cook anything with tomatoes in them....other than that I use em for dam near anything.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My sister said there are some studies out there that people wit Old Timers disease have a higher probability of them using Aluminum pans . This is why I only use cast iron, your body needs it anyway. We gave our sone a Lodge cast iron pan . Just use it for beacon or butter N eggs. Sometimes I leave it in oil for a while and seldom clean it.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Yep FieldGrade I learned my lesson early on with tomato stuff - in my case it was spagetti sauce , ate the seasoning right off my dutch oven .

Thanks to everyone .

I'm subscribed on Cowboy Kent Rollins channel ., I love old timey stuff like that ..

Last edited by ol_mike; 01/17/18.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use my lodge more than my Wagners and griswolds. The rough texture doesn't make it more sticky imo. Fwiw, my lodge is 25 years old. I have cooked every food known, but I have never washed it.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've used flax seed oil like Edwin 264 and it has held up well. I love my cast iron cookware and
have many pieces including a Griswold skillet that I got from my grandmother. I am always on
the lookout for more. Have a friend who got a new piece of Lodge ware, unseasoned. He carried
it to his favorite Chinese food place and had them season it. They did it while he waited and it
didn't take long. I worked one summer building tow boats. One day at quitting time,the foreman told
us to bring our cast iron the next day if we wanted it cleaned up. Seems they were prepping the
tow boat for painting the next day by sand blasting. Put your name on the bottom with an electric
engraver and at quitting time; your cast iron was like brand new; ready to be seasoned! A nice
perk thought up by the foreman. He was a remarkable man with a 6th grade education. He carried
the plans to 3 different sizes of tow boats in his head. The boss always wanted him to work with
a marine architect and convert his knowledge to paper. He always refused saying "then you wouldn't
have any use for me". He could make anything out of metal. I've never seen any one with his
skills with a cutting torch. He lost his father at an early age in the Depression and quit school to
support his family working in a blacksmith shop.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Mike...some good advice here. Sandbilly nailed it.

I've completly stripped down and seasoned quite a few CI impliments using an electrolysis bath. Always used Veg oil to season.

Use the absolute thinnest coat on all surfaces. I use a paper towel to apply.

With the pan turned upside down in a gas BBQ and using an IR thermometer to keep the pan temp around 450, I let each application "cook off" for 30-45 minutes.

...then I repeat up to 5 times. The process generates a fair amount of smoke, so outdoors is a good way to go. I keep things hot between applications.

I've brought a few relics back from the dead.

Old CI trumps new due to the finer grain sand used in the casting process, although I do have a new Lodge that works just fine.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
My mother said never season cast iron with any oil or grease containing salt! Use lard not shortening! The only one of mine that was hard to season is a large chicken fryer (Lodge brand)! I finally used a scotch Brite pad on a angle grinder and smoothed it well! Then lard and in the oven several times! Now to clean I bring water to a boil, dump and wipe dry, coat with oil wipe out excess done! My Griswold 9" skillet is my favorite!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

And for the love of all things holy, wipe the outside with your oil so it doesn’t look ghetto when hanging.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Pure home rendered hog lard is the only thing I ever saw my maternal grandmother use to fry or bake anything in her cast iron skillets.
Mom used Crisco solid vegetable shortening in a can sometimes but her cast iron skillet was already a slick, well seasoned hand-me-down.
We have my Mom's old skillet now and have used it for years.
Besides lard we've used all types of commercial liquid and solid vegetable shortenings but apparently it is so well seasoned from countless years of use nothing has affected the flavor of food cooked it yet.
To my knowledge it has never been washed with soap or an abrasive cleanser of any kind.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boggy Creek Ranger claimed all you had to do to season a cast iron skillet was to make cornbread in it a couple times before cooking anything else in it.

He’s right.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

My secret to finding GREAT cast iron skillets & other pieces is to HAUNT the Salvation Army & Goodwill stores for OLD cast iron. ======> MUCH better cast iron than Lodge or the other "modern" stuff.

I've recently bought pieces at Goodwiill for 1-8 bucks each.
(My TREASURE is a 12" Dutch Oven with lid for 7.00 plus tax. - I use it mostly for frying chicken & making stews.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It was already lightly seasoned , used per directions and they wouldn't get slick black like my Grannys old pans .

Did some research - more than one innerwebber expert said grind off old seasoning - went to lowes depot got grinding wheel - ground down inside to bare metal and smooth seasoned it - put in oven per directions - came out -ok- .
Used it cleaned it according to directions , starts getting black/well seasoned then seasoning peels here and there . Do more research ''always use solid'' like lard they mean -had been using olive oil .
Used crisco lard to season the damn thing 2-3 times a week --fighting it -- I bought the things to cut down on dishwashing -why am I fighting these skillets .

Not heating it up too hot or too fast . not getting them wet - no soap of coarse .

I have them in the oven right now on 375* waiting for the hour to pass - any help/advise to keep me from turning them into steel shooting plates . smile
No offense but I think if you'll just quit worrying about it and use it, it will be fine and you'll enjoy some good eats. I've got old ones that were my Mom's and Grandma's and I've got Wagners and Lodge's that we've bought. They are all fine. Honestly, I usually do use dish soap and water, then oil it up using whatever I've got. Ours are black and I haven't lost the seasoning much like everybody claims. Stuff tastes great out of them. I don't put them in the oven and re-season every time either. If they get splotchy, IDGAF. Have used about every oil imaginable on them. One of the big makers used to recommend Planter's Peanut Oil and we used that quite a bit. I've used Olive oil, corn oil, vegetable oil and I don't know what else to oil them up afterwards and to cook with. I expect the initial seasoning on the new ones was usually Peanut Oil though. I think it was ScottF who turned me on to using Safflower oil which is supposedly the best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Boggy Creek Ranger claimed all you had to do to season a cast iron skillet was to make cornbread in it a couple times before cooking anything else in it.

He’s right.

Funny, I've had similar luck cooking popcorn in corn oil as a fast way to re-season a pan. That was going to be my cast iron secret tip.

Boggy Creek Ranger: Where are you?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
I usually use mine to just fry eggs, I use olive oil. If I use it to fry fatty meats like bacon or fattier hamburger, no problem. The problem is lean meats. However if brown porkchops then cover them and bake in the oven, well it doesn't get much better then that. (Add water while baking)

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Self clean cycle for 2 hours. Then crisco coat.
Clean with bacon grease and coarse sea salt.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
You're overthinking it.....................use with oil or grease; when done wipe it out with paper towel to remove excess, add water, heat on burner, lightly scrape any remaining residue with spatula, rinse, wipe & put away until you need it again.

MM

That's the way that my wife cleans ours. She fusses at me all the time about me using the iron skillets, and not cleaning them right. In order for an iron skillet to work the way it's supposed to, they have to be took care of properly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As many expert opinions as there are experts. There are multiple ways to get an iron skillet seasoned, and some actually work.

Sam......

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
If you want to clean the old coating off burn it off in a grill or fire. then wipe it out with oiled paper towels till the rust is gone. To get a good slick black coating quickly do some deep frying in it. When I cook in mine I wash it. Wipe it dry then heat it up on the stove and wipe it good with an oiled or greased paper towel. I use mine all the time to cook.Most of mine is 25 years old and my wife has some that belonged to her grandmother. The 60 year old pans are smoother than what they sell now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have several pieces of Lodge cookware that I have purchased over the past 5 - 10 years. They were all ok new but work really well now that I have learned to care for them properly. My tips:

1. Don't wash off your seasoning. I have found the best way to clean my Lodge pans is to use hot water and the $7 brush that Lodge sells. The brush is really good at removing residue without removing the seasoning.

Lodge Brush

If you have stuck or burned on residue use one of these plastic scrapers, no metal.

Lodge Scraper

2. Re-season with Crisco after each use. Smear a thin layer of Crisco over the clean pan and put on medium high heat for a few minutes.

3. Cook on low to medium heat only.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My stovetop.

[Linked Image]

Little pan on top left on top of dutch oven is my cornbread pan for wifey and I. That cheap red enamel pot is my bean pot and also use it for acidic stuff like tomato base food. Heck everything Ive read here will work!

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Mother would get very upset if you used Her cornbread skillet for anything other than cornbread. She had other skillets for frying the rest of the meals. My wife has that skillet and feels the same way about it. I bought a new 8" skillet to use for cornbread a while back, and the wife seasoned it really quick, but I was not part of that process. Moms cornbread skillet was bigger, and since my Wife can't eat cornbread any more, and I don't need to eat as much as I do, a smaller skillet was in order. On and related note, day old cornbread wrapped in a paper towel and microwaved for a few seconds is pretty damn good. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Maybe just me but I've not had good luck with Lodge stuff. Find an old classic (i.e. Griswold or Erie brand) at a yard sale or flea market if you want the real deal.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Miles!
Wifey and I can get two days worth of cornbread out of that little pan! All we need. I made big pot of beans yesterday. And day before I baked us a pair of game hens in that dutch oven! Monday I cooked us an "eintopf" in it. Kinda German version of sherperd's pie.

Founder

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Grandson James wants a cast skillet for collage. I'm think on buying him a carbon steel skillet. It would heat faster.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love my Lodge skillets. They slick up pretty quick, even after a scrubbing with soap.

Usually after use they get rinsed out with hot water then wiped out and put on a burner. I’ll spray it with canola oil when dry and let it get hot on the stove for a few minutes.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I discovered cast iron about ten years ago when I inherited my grandmother's skillet. I use them every day to make my breakfast, and the occasional steak.

Rule #1: never use soap. To start off with a clean one, season it. I use bacon fat. To start with, you want three good hard layered coats of polymerized fat (that's a fancy word for season). First cover it with a light coat all over. Put in the oven at 350 for an hour. Repeat, repeat.

Now it's simple. After you cook (use plenty of butter when cooking with them), clean it only with hot water and a brush. Only brush it in the hot water enough to get food off. Rinse with warm water. Wipe dry. Recoat with a little bacon fat (only on the inside cooking surface from now on). Put on the stove set to high heat long enough to cause it to smoke a little (It usually takes two or three minutes before it starts to smoke). Remove from heat soon after you see smoke (the smoking means that you've polymerized a layer of fat to the surface). Let it smoke too long, however, and you will burn off the season, which isn't good (You will need to do it over again if you do). Now it's ready to use again. Repeat this pattern every time.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Do this ..^^^^, but use flaxseed oil. MUCH better results.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I've moved to cast iron and I really like using it. One thing that I can not make correctly is scrambled eggs. They don't stick bad but they do stick. I use a good amount of bacon grease in the pan when making them but I must be doing something wrong.

Any tips?

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I've moved to cast iron and I really like using it. One thing that I can not make correctly is scrambled eggs. They don't stick bad but they do stick. I use a good amount of bacon grease in the pan when making them but I must be doing something wrong.

Any tips?

Yes, use butter instead of bacon grease, and use a good bit of it. Don't overhead the skillet before you put the eggs in. Let the eggs sit in the skillet till half cooked before you mix it up. Soon as you start mixing it up, start to move toward the plate, because it will cook fast after this.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

Nothin' like a wood fired stove and cast iron cookware! We use bacon fat or Crisco to season ours.

My cabin kitchen
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
That's awesome Tom!!!!

Founder

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That kitchen is beyond cool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Any tips?

I gave up trying to make scrambled eggs in a cast iron skillet. A non-stick pan is much better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Is that a propane light fixture I see?

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tmitch
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

Nothin' like a wood fired stove and cast iron cookware! We use bacon fat or Crisco to season ours.

My cabin kitchen
[Linked Image]

tmitch ,

Do you by chance need a full time security guard out there ??
I wouldn't charge much if I could hunt .

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
cast iron? Yeah, I have some. This is just the outdoor set. There is a whole different inside set, along with the enameled cast iron Dutch ovens, skillets, pots and pans...............

[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
cast iron? Yeah, I have some. This is just the outdoor set. There is a whole different inside set, along with the enameled cast iron Dutch ovens, skillets, pots and pans...............

[Linked Image]

That’s all cast? Or some carbon?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Any tips?

Check out Cowboy Kent if you haven't already. His youtube channel is great.

https://kentrollins.com/2016/11/my-top-5-tips-for-cast-iron/

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yeah, I can get a slab of cornbread outta Wifeys, but after that, DONT TOUCH!!!!! LOL, some of those were her mothers and grannys skillets, they've probably been seasoned for 100 years, Wifey wipes em out, oils em up and stores em back in the ovens.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Thanks for the tips

I'll checkout that youtube channel

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

[Linked Image]
whens supper???

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by tmitch
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

My cabin kitchen
[Linked Image]

Indeed. This was before Thanksgiving when winter came early to north Idaho. Brunch with friends.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When I use mine, I keep it "clean" using a steel turner and scrape under whatever is cooking to keep the surface clean. The problem I have is when my wife uses it and she doesn't do anything but cook and walk away. Pisses me off.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM
Indeed. This was before Thanksgiving when winter came early to north Idaho. Brunch with friends.

[Linked Image]

That's a nice one EdM! We started out with a mint condition Home Comfort stove, but it was stolen in '79. mad The top on the one we have now is badly pitted and a bit warped, but it worked fine for this past Thanksgiving turkey! YUM!

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by kaywoodie
That's awesome Tom!!!!

Originally Posted by wabigoon
That kitchen is beyond cool.

Thanks guys, it's a special place to me. A lot of family memories from the past half century there!

Originally Posted by SamOlson
Is that a propane light fixture I see?

Yes it is Sam. No electric service there (but it's wired & we have a generator, mainly to run the well pump). We use gas lights to keep from running the generator a lot

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
www.stargazercastiron.com

Ordered one this very day.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Reloader28 ,

That looks real nice .

Posted by Bristoe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Reloader28 ,

That looks real nice .

Gonna give the All American test drive.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sure would like to see a review on this if you get the chance. Did you buy pre-seasoned?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Any tips?

Bearcat,

eat them eggs sunny side up, they way they's sposed t'be et! wink

Geno

PS, joking here, I'd go with the method suggested of letting them get cooked at least halfway thru before mixing up alot.

PPS but.......... lookin' at ya is really the proper way to eat them cackleberries. grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All sorts of good info and pretty pics here,

thanks folks.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Any tips?

Bearcat,

Geno

PS, joking here, I'd go with the method suggested of letting them get cooked at least halfway thru before mixing up alot.

PPS but.......... lookin' at ya is really the proper way to eat them cackleberries. grin

I eat my eggs sunny side up or over easy.

Scrambled is for the wife

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Any tips?

Bearcat,

Geno

I have a similar one........................likes 'em over..........................overdone!

Geno

PS, probably can't get away for long telling her "this ain't Burger King, you can't have them your way" shocked

In it is contentment

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Sure would like to see a review on this if you get the chance. Did you buy pre-seasoned?

No sir. Plan to do so myself.

I'll be glad to report on it. There are also several reviews on YouTube.com

Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Any tips?

Bearcat,

Geno

I have a similar one........................likes 'em over..........................overdone!

Geno

PS, probably can't get away for long telling her "this ain't Burger King, you can't have them your way" shocked

No, I'd say I'd wear my 10.5" griddle as a hat if I got too mouthy. smile

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

I bought one when they first started shipping. The one I ordered was pre seasoned, $88. Seems well built, very slick inside, good handles, heavy=good. I use it for frying steaks. I really like it, it comes with a vegetable puk, it works also. I would buy again. I have not cooked anything else, so my experience is limited.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SandBilly
That’s all cast? Or some carbon?

there are a couple of blue steel skillets there. Is that a problem? laughing

Last edited by Mannlicher; 01/19/18.

Sam......

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Compadre and his wife bought a big stack of assorted cast iron skillets a while back. I think he got 'em at the feed store. Someone walked in with em. They told me to pick out the one I wanted. Picked out a "Favorite, #8 Piqua Ware". I believe its a pre-1935 mfg. Very nice pan! Cleaned it up a bit and used it this morning for elk sausage and eggs!! Worked great. Pics shortly.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Pics!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats a nice pan!

The best method I have found with cast iron is to cook with the damn things.

Use some grease. Clean em once in a while and repeat.

I am MAGA.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd give you $10 and a bottle of cheap tequila for it Bob.

Nice find. Good guys do get lucky once in awhile.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That pan might look even better with a nice apple pie in it Bob. Make that Dutch apple!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Thats a nice pan!

The best method I have found with cast iron is to cook with the damn things.

Use some grease. Clean em once in a while and repeat.

Jim! Thats been my experience too! I cook in CS religiously! I use either bacon drippins' or pure lard. (I think I mentioned that earlier in this thread :D).

This was just a nice old pan!

Owl, very allergic!!! tequila makes me break out in handcuffs.

Wabi, you a man after my own heart! Next to peach cobbler, I'm an apple pie man too!! I think you've seen the pic!!!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 01/31/18.

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nice early Piqua.👍

Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Pics!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks FC!

Founder

WS

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Owl
I'd give you $10 and a bottle of cheap tequila for it Bob. Jeff

I can beat that!

I'll give you $10, a bottle of good bourbon and a case of Hamms! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Growing up in the '50s most meals were prepared in cast iron on an oil stove. Lots of wintertime meals were a hearty beef stew with a crust made with lard in a dutch oven. Brings back memories of many good meals, my Grandmother was Dutch and she prepared most of the family meals.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
That pie looks bad a$$!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That skillet looks dutch-oven deep. I like those because they don't splatter grease as bad as your typical frying pan. One's sitting on the range right now.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes. The newer Lodge pans are rough as a cob. I think they crack them out of a sand mold and ship them. Got one for free and I'll have to do some grinding before even starting on that one.

Just keep cooking, rinse out (not scrub) with hot water, grease it up for storage, and it will eventually come around. Even at their best though, they will never be the equivalent of Teflon.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. The newer Lodge pans are rough as a cob. I think they crack them out of a sand mold and ship them. Got one for free and I'll have to do some grinding before even starting on that one.

Just keep cooking, rinse out (not scrub) with hot water, grease it up for storage, and it will eventually come around. Even at their best though, they will never be the equivalent of Teflon.

My Grandmother had a small Griswold that she only cooked eggs in that need no grease and eggs would slide right out. It was from the 1930’s though and probably never had water touch it in 60 years. One of my cousins took it right after she passed. 😡

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Lodge iron just isn't up to par with the old stuff, I buy all my cast iron from the cast iron guys, decent prices, shipping is included.

https://castironguys.com

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Edwin264
That pie looks bad a$$!!!

Daughter in law built that pie for Christmas here 2 years ago. She always builds me a pie!!! They are great!!!

Founder

WS

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have no complaints with Lodge.

You have to use oil or grease with Teflon anyway....so why not just use cast?

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Oh, and the ease of cleaning dont add up either.

You can put a Teflon pan in the dish washer.......and thanks to new high efficiency dish washers you have to wait 4 hours before you can cook with it again.

Cast iron cleans in seconds.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Bob, This morning I was trying to post a picture of Gabby Hayes stealing a fresh pie. Your pie picture makes me think of that.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Owl

I can beat that!

Ed

I think that bob is a Pearl Beer type of guy.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It took years and years for the rough finished Lodge skillet we have to finally exhibit a degree of non-stickiness. We long ago gave up on the idea of finding a vintage Griswold or Wagner pan. Bought a Stargazer and couldn't be happier. Well worth the asking price and being retired military I got a discount to boot. If you don't want to either wait for years of use or screw around trying to "fix" the rough finish on your Lodge by grinding / polishing, buy a Stargazer.

-=[Bob]=-
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Bob, This morning I was trying to post a picture of Gabby Hayes stealing a fresh pie. Your pie picture makes me think of that.

Gawd Bless Gabby Hayes!!!!

(And Walter Brennan!)

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Owl
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Owl

I can beat that!

Ed

I think that bob is a Pearl Beer type of guy.

From the country of 1100 springs!!!

wink

Founder

WS

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We have them at the deer lease, reminds me of my grandmother

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.