Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Latest drive now, drop the BLA to 0.05...Utah is already doing so..

small enough and 1 beer or wine glass will give you that BLA...
2 will definitely get ya there, unless you wait 2 hours plus to drive..

From a person who doesn't drink alcohol, this is ridiculous...

it has nothing to do with safety as the motivation, its just another way to bilk
more money out of the public...

I hate DRUNK Drivers as much as the next guy....but this is just another revenue generating
scheme liberals have come up with now...

on the flip side of the insanity... they want to do this, while the liberal left is doing a big push
to legalize marijuana...nation wide.

and I'm sure Oregon won't be the only one.. but our illustrious LesBo Governor, has made it
legal to be caught with small quantities of meth, heroin, oxy, and a host of other drugs and no
penalty or arrest......

So liberals don't want to be hit by some conservative who has been drinking, while they are driving home
stoned and have impaired reaction time...

of course the usual dope smoker suspects will be along to explain why that makes perfect sense...
Followed by the usual mandatory derogatory comments about my parents, my family and my intelligence, my dog etc...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
nothing to do with public safety? really?

alcohol is involved in one third of fatal traffic accidents.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
DUI enforcement is mostly about the revenue stream. This looks like a move to assist that. Very few laws are actually designed to enhance public safety.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This was quite a battle in Utah last year. At one point, the opponents of the measure pointed out that a driver over the age of 65 is naturally more 'impaired' than a younger person at .05 BAC. The governor, who is 70, was not amused.

He must have got a lot of push back from the tourism industry though, because he has been walking this back, talking about a tiered penalty system and having the legislature revisit the measure.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45000564&nid=960

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seafire, arrests for DUI/marijuana along ŵith training for all the local police have been a focus here and in the news.

I'm not defending intoxicated drivers of any type but your post seems to imply that marijuana users get a free pass and they don't.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by toad

I'm betting cell phones beat that percentage...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Redneck

I wouldn't doubt it...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

What did they blame it on before cell phones. The percentage of drivers with cell phones has gone from almost 0% to over 99% in about 30 years. During the same period the number of traffic accidents has plummeted to all time lows. I know there are accidents caused by drivers distracted by phones. And I get as annoyed by some drivers as much as anyone. But the numbers don't add up. I don't think they are causing nearly as many problem as we're being told. There are certain people who simply can't drive worth a crap and the phone just makes them worse. I"m of the opinion that anyone who can't "talk" on a phone and drive simply can't drive anyway. Those people will end up causing a crash with, or without a phone. I don't have a problem with talkers. It is the texting where the danger lies.

The .05 standard has applied to anyone with a CDL all along even when not driving a commercial vehicle. I simply don't know enough to say whether someone at .08 is impaired enough to matter. But I certainly don't want impaired drivers out there. Sounds like they are just applying the same rules to everyone.

Just a word of warning if you do drink and drive, even a little. About 10 years ago we had a crash where a young mother pulled out of an intersection in front of a guy on his way home from work. The young mother did not have the right of way, the guy did. But the guy had stopped for a beer on the way home. I don't know what his BAC registered, but they could not charge him with DUI. But an overly aggressive DA did push for and win a conviction claiming that the alcohol contributed to the crash. He spent several months in prison before having the conviction thrown out on appeal. There should have never been a trail, but his life was basically ruined by the time he got out.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Redneck

I wouldn't doubt it...

It's been proven. I've seen studies that compare delayed reaction times of intoxicated subjects vs drivers distracted by cell phones. In distracted drivers response time was affected the same as someone with a BAC of 0.08, the lower limit of DUI in most states.

And the use of hands-free devices didn't matter.

With marijuana users, accident rates skyrocketed when they were distracted by a bag of doritos placed on the passenger seat.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Is there any evidence to suggest that people with alcohol content 0.08 and below are statistically responsible for more accidents? Honest question. I have called 911 on drivers that are weaving all over the road once or twice in my lifetime, given the plate numbers to them and direction of travel, however if I have a glass of wine with my dinner I don't necessarily even feel like I have had any wine by the time we leave. Now 2 glasses of wine I can feel so I don't drink that for sobriety and $8.00 a glass reasons. I just wonder why they are pushing it down to 0.05 and if they have statistically proven data collected by a neutral source that at 0.05 you are 10,20,30% more likely to have a wreck. This looks more like a social justice type campaign against say "tobacco" than a real problem to me unless its a hard cold proven fact by an independent research organization that has no dog in the fight.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Geez, no one yet?

Your dog blows.

Sean
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
BAC and its effects are well-documented and the effects are fairly consistent with most people so although I haven't seen what you're asking for I'm sure there's reams of data on it. I've called in a few myself, guys weaving all over on the interstate during rush hour, things like that. Safe to say those guys are well above 0.08.

And to seafire's OP, one of the issues with DUI for marijuana is that the dose/response effects are not nearly as consistent over the whole population. There's a blood concentration number that's been selected and is used for DUI but it's not backed by anywhere near the amount of data that BAC effects are so it's being challenged in court. Marijuana advocates maintain that the number is arbitrary, too low, and not backed by data. So the court challenges will continue.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
After living and driving in Germany, it's amazing how horrible US drivers are. Over there they do not text and drive. The only ones you see doing it are American (different license plates). A .05 is a DUI. Any alcohol in your system with an accident is automatically your fault, even if it isn't your fault. No passing on the right on the autobahn. If you're not passing anyone, stay you the right regardless of how fast you're going. Simple rules that work. In 16 months there I saw a total of about 5 accidents. My first week back in the US I saw more than that. It works because it is very expensive to get your license and if you're stupid, you'll lose it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Here's what I don't get in the legalize pot crap. We, as a society, are doing LOTS to discourage BOTH drinking and driving and smoking (sin taxes, not public buildings etc etc ). Then we take something that has the bad effects of BOTH and fight to make it legal? That makes no sense.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm cool with 0.00% alcohol and 0.00% pot. 0.00% stupid would help too.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Mine is 00.00. I have a commercial license.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Backdoor route to prohibition, again.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you can get .05 for just smelling a beer

I will say this, the domain of drinking and driving is that of the young and foolish. I don't do it. Usually the only time I hit it hard is when I am traveling with work and there is a bar in the hotel, or we're taking Ubers.

But at .05 my opinion is you either don't drink and drive, or you're driving drunk. Doesn't leave much error for margin.

Last edited by KFWA; 01/18/18.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gonna be hard to get that past the restaurant/hospitably industry lobby.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's pretty simple. If you're driving, don't drink. I drink plenty at home and away, but when I'm driving I don't. I'm not an alcoholic that has to drink, regardless of circumstance. I can say no when I need to. If some people can't, they need to get help, or not drive.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.