Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thinking about buying Sirroco ll bullets someone Tell me about them and how you like them??

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have only loaded and hunted with the 100gn Scirocco II in a .257 Roberts. It is not the most accurate bullet in my rifle but typically groups into an inch and a 1/4 for five rounds. Certainly good enough for deer hunting. I found I had to back off a grain of powder (H4350) to get the same velocity as a 100gn Hornady, so the Scirocco was generating more pressure.

Performance on game has been outstanding. The first animal shot was a large feral billy goat at a 45 degree forward angle at 50 metres. The bullet entered its right shoulder and exited down its left flank just after the last rib. The goat stiffened up and then fell over. A took a fallow doe and a buck the season before last. The doe was taken at 25 metres and again the bullet fully penetrated diagonally through the chest and the doe dropped on the spot. The rutting buck was rattled into 20 metres and shot side on. The bullet was trapped under the skin on the far side and was perfectly mushroomed and weighed 79 grains (79% weight retention). I thought that was very good performance at such close range. Again the buck just dropped right there.

I've taken a couple of smallish pigs as well and the bullet has fully penetrated. I am very impressed with this bullet. That's all I can vouch for at the moment. I have some 165gn Sciroccos for my .30-06 but haven't gotten round to trying them yet.

What weight and calibre are you interested in?

Last edited by Elvis; 01/19/18.
C
ChaseA1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
150 and 30-06

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm a bit surprised that there haven't been more responses. Doesn't anybody use Sciroccos?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use them in Sako factory ammo for my 7mm RM Sako A7S, 150 grainers. They shoot good, I haven't killed anything with them. The Sako ammo is loaded hot, shot this ammo in my Browning A Bolt and got a stuck case.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I have some Sirrocco bullets that are Remington factory loads. Their accuracy is very
poor in the rifle I bought them for. They now just take up room on my ammo shelf until
I get another 30-06. Then I will try them again.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
They're a lot of bullet for deer. That's been my experience. They make a hell of a good elk bullet though.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Elvis
I'm a bit surprised that there haven't been more responses. Doesn't anybody use Sciroccos?

I think part of the problem,is their reputation for being finicky. Needing to be seated deep ( more jump), turns some folks off. Then there is their reputation for being a " Hard" bullet. Raising pressure of tried and true pet loads with other bullets. I've never shot anything big or heavy enough to catch one. Pics I've seen of the recovered bullets are impressive.

Cost may play along with the afore mentioned opinions. It isn't that they are much more than other premium bullets per bullet. But,being sold by the 100 makes the initial outlay a bit high. Combine that with their finicky reputation,and people walk on by. Buying a couple different weights or diameters to try can set a fella back well over a C note.

To me,the benefits don't out weigh the investment. Deer hunting sure doesn't warrant it. Old fashioned Hornady spire points shoot remarkably well from so many different rifles. Along with the new Nosler ballistic tip hunting bullets. For heavier critters,the Accu Bond is a proven and accurate option. Let's not forget the old Partition. Very few complaints of their performance on the bigger animals.

A sexier bullet than Scirocco is hard to find. They do carry a lot of baggage some don't find appealing.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I shoot the 130 grain in my 6.5x55. I really like the performance so far. I've killed two deer and one hog with them. I load them at .010 off the lands and they shoot great.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
They're a lot of bullet for deer. That's been my experience. They make a hell of a good elk bullet though.

Same here, a great bullet for elk. I've seen three after putting an elk down, and they performed perfectly.

Not saying they wouldn't work for deer, just haven't ever put one in a deer.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've used many 100 grainers in the .257 Weatherby. It is surprisingly stiff bullet even at that speed. Stiff enough that it isn't optimum for lightning quick kills on little fallow deer, but starts to come into its own on reds. By extrapolation it would be great for big whitetail and mulies. Exits are routine, exiting the one standing behind it is also routine. If you want a bonded lead bullet that has more than enough penetration and a pretty good whack its your baby.

I also used it a bit in the 270 Weatherby but considerably less. I know that they make fist sized holes through an elk's rib cage. I can't tell you what a 150 30 cal is going to do for sure; but it won't bounce off.

Accuracy is an iffy thing. The rifles that would shoot it for me liked long leaps of faith to the lands. Those that hate it hate it a lot.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use the 165 Grain Swift Scirocco in my 300 Win Mag. 3 shot group under a dime. I shot a doe on the last day of the season at 75 yards quartering towards me. Bullet entered the base of the neck and exited about 4 inches behind the shouder. I was in a three stand so the shot was angling downward. Bullet just kept on trucking. She dropped in her tracks, didn't even kick as she was dead before she hit the ground. Lungs were soap, about a silver dollar sized exit wound. She fell on the side of the exit wound, when I moved her to start the field dressing, most of the liquefied lung tissue, drained out the exit wound.

It is a moderate charge of IMR 7828, and I am seating the bullet at standard overall case length, have not had the need to play with the seating depth. The bullets are kind expensive but in my opinion well worth it. I got lucky and this was the first handload I tried for my old 300 Win Mag it shot well, and my new one shoots them better.

I am considering trying them in my 30-06, and when I get my .264 win mag up and running I am considering trying the 130 Grain Sciroccos.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I use them. But not for deer. I shoot the 210gr in my 338-06AI for elk and moose. They shoot great and the on game performance is outstanding. Like a lot of other fellows have said or think, I'm not sure they are needed on deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 75gr shot ok out of my 223 T3 but the Hornady BTHP shot better and that’s what I used this season so far.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use the 150gr in my 30-06 with H4350.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Great terminal performance, not the easiest to shoot tight groups. But, accuracy potential is there, just not always easy to find.

Good points by Otter6. SSII's are COAL sensitive and they do like to jump.

Don't give up on them. Find the magic load and you're done. That could take some experimenting.

My 8 twist .22-250 does very well with the 75 gr. SSII, my go to hog bullet in that gun.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My 6.5x55 absolutely loves 130 SII's over H4350 in Lapua brass....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mmgravy
My 6.5x55 absolutely loves 130 SII's over H4350 in Lapua brass....

How much jump and how fast?

DF

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've used the 180gr in a 300Rum, like stated above not the tightest groups ever but dropped two mt goats & a black tail with them. All left fairly large exit holes which were bigger than I liked but two of the three were lifted off their feet & didn't move after hitting the ground, on a mtn goat going away I will take that anytime.

Last edited by greyghost1; 02/15/18.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve never shot one, I like Nosler and Barnes

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 13 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 712 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.