Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
So I am needing a new shotgun for mostly coyote hunting and want to upgrade to a semi-automatic and one that has provisions for mounting some type of sights (read: drilling and tapped).

A Stoeger m3500 in black will set me back about $550. A SBE III will be north of $1700. Is there enough difference to notice it? Is there $1100 worth of difference?

What about barrel length. I am thinking 24" but even Cabelas doesn't catalog either of them in this length.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Why not split the difference and get a Franchi Affinity. The Stoegar is a Turkish product. The Franchi is made on the same assembly line as the Benelli in Italy. It is a quality product. About the only difference is the position of the recoil spring under the forearm and the lack of a comfortech stock.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
But is the Franchi any more pleasant to shoot than the Stoeger? Is the Stoeger prone to be problematic? I will only shoot about 40 rounds a year through it most likely.

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Beretta A350 Outlander would give you less recoil, lower price, same quality as the Benelli. You can get it in a turkey version with 24" camo barrel.

The Stoeger is not any worse recoil-wise than the Affinity, but it is of lower fit/finish quality. Both are going to kick with 3.5" shells. The SBEIII will feel nice than either in the recoil dept.

If you're going to spend big money, you'd be better off with the Remington VersaMax, in a Tactical version 22". That will be by far your lightest recoiling shotgun, and waterfowlers have proven them now with the bugs worked out.

The Remington Tactical and the Beretta Turkey are the only two I would consider at all if you are going with 3.5" ammo. Buy the one that you can afford and a good choke, and you'll be all set.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Though they don't have pics on the website, you might consider the Stoeger 3500 with the Steady Grip stock. I'd think the pistol grip buttstock would help handle recoil of coyote loads. It also comes with a 24" barrel.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The shortest sbe3 barrel your going to find is 26”, that’s what mine is and remember the receivers on the sbe3 ‘s are long so it feels more like a 28” barrel.
That said, I absolutely love mine

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I shoot 3.5" shells in my Nova almost to exclusion of anything else. The recoil doesn't bother me in the least. If I were shooting high over my head, where I could roll with the kick I might notice it more.

As for the pistol grip, I don't think I would like it, might sprain my wrist or something trying to shoot it in an awkward position.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Beretta A350 Outlander would give you less recoil, lower price, same quality as the Benelli. You can get it in a turkey version with 24" camo barrel.

I can't find an A350 Outlander, only the Xtrema. The Outlander is A300 which is only 3" chamber. The 350 and 400 are 3.5". That A400 Xtreme looks nice too

NRA Benefactor Member

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
At 40 rounds per year, the Stoeger is a no brainer IMHO. I have an old Stoeger M2000 that has run almost flawlessly for many years. If you were a dedicated waterfowler, I would make a different recommendation, which still wouldn’t be a Benelli.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've never shot a goose or a duck in my life (with a shotgun) but I have killed hundreds of coyotes with a 12 ga.

NRA Benefactor Member

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Another vote for the franchi affinity.

My 3 inch one doesnt miss a beat and the new ones can be had in 3.5 inch and drilled & tapped.

We have guys trap shooting with a mixture of stoeger's makes and I wouldn't recommend one.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
At 40 rounds per year, the Stoeger is a no brainer IMHO. I have an old Stoeger M2000 that has run almost flawlessly for many years. If you were a dedicated waterfowler, I would make a different recommendation, which still wouldn’t be a Benelli.

And that would be??

and why?

NRA Benefactor Member

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Get a Stoeger 3500 for $550 and forget about it, for the money they cant be beat........Hb

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
On other forums it seems more than a few SBE 3s have had point of impact issues. Being short stature I preferred my 2 to the SBE3. I know a couple people that had stoegers (feeding problems) and now have benellis. Never owned a franchi but handled them and read a lot of good reviews on them. I would vote for the SBE2 or the Franchi. There are some deals on the SBE 2s since the 3s hit the market, got one new in camo for 1200.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'll have to fondle all of them at the SHOT show next week.

My son just bought a Stoeger 3500 a couple of weeks ago and so far likes it. Sample of one and he hasn't put that many rounds through it yet.

NRA Benefactor Member

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Stoeger will serve you well with limited use. I would just personally prefer spending a little bit more for a higher quality gun in the Franchi Affinity.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I will look at all of them at the SHOT show and see if I can get past the Stoeger. I've always wanted the SBE but $1700 is a hard pill to swallow to shoot coyotes!

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I shoot 3.5" shells in my Nova almost to exclusion of anything else. The recoil doesn't bother me in the least. If I were shooting high over my head, where I could roll with the kick I might notice it more.

As for the pistol grip, I don't think I would like it, might sprain my wrist or something trying to shoot it in an awkward position.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

I can't find an A350 Outlander, only the Xtrema. The Outlander is A300 which is only 3" chamber. The 350 and 400 are 3.5". That A400 Xtreme looks nice too

Yes, you are correct, it's listed as an Xtrema. The A350 is supposed to be the 3.5" version of the Outlander, meaning they are a bit cheaper. The A350 is actually a better gun in my opinion, as it uses the Blink system which the Outlander does not.

I'd go with that or the Remington Versa Max Tactical, which many guys love since it clearly has the softest recoil of any 3.5".

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

And that would be??

and why?

IMHO there are great, possibly better choices for far less money. Beretta A300, Winchester SX3 or the Remington V3, to name a few. Our group puts out guns through heck while hunting in Arkansas every year. Overall, the Benelli guys fuss about the performance of their guns more than the rest of us do. Extreme cold really slowed a few of them down last year.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Remember, I am not waterfowling with it, only shooting coyotes. 3.5" chamber is a must. Semi-Auto is a must. Ability to mount optics is a much. After that, I am wide open. I am not brand loyal nor wary. A lot of those on your list are 3" guns. The Versa- Max tactical is sounding better!

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Been looking at the shotguns. The biggest loser is the Remington Versa Max. Might be OK for sitting in a duck blind all day but who would want to carry it and the ergos of the stock- ouch.

Stoeger is 2nd worst

Winchester SX4 is the clear winner in my book. They even make a turkey gun with a cantilevered scope mount.

Will look at the Berettas tomorrow. Didn't see any SBE but did see the super Vincis. What a weird looking gun that is!!

NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (007FJ, 163bc, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.