-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Social Security payments (once enrolled) are automatic and done by a computer. If government offices are closed, then new enrollments will be delayed. The Passport Office will close so any emergency passports can't be issued), as well as Department of Agriculture ane Interior facilities. The Control for Disease Control (CDC) and NIH will likewise close so much research will be suspended. ETC., ETC.

Not if those public servants gave up their pay check like President Trump, and worked for free.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Their SS checks will not quit going out.

That is one of the many tactics they use to scare folks.

DON'T BELIEVE IT.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Most Fed agencies have funding to run for at least 5-6 weeks, even if a budget or CR isn't passed.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
rockinbbar,

Inasmuch as NONE of the furloughed employees will be ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEES, I say shut it down & leave it closed until the leftist DIMocRATS cry, "UNCLE".

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I draw SS and am in the "shut it down" crowd. All my income is from the 'gov't'. I contributed to SS starting at age 14 and started drawing it 6 years ago, my military pension cost me about 1/4 century (oh, and I paid SS the entire time), and my VA disablility was earned, too, I guess. Point is, SHUT IT DOWN and don't let the republicans cave again. I will manage.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shut her down.. and leave it that way. The freebie crowd will have the dims saying uncle first.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It isn't the Boogeyman politicians want you to believe, if things "shut down".

They want you to panic and call your congressmen.

I told mine to hold fast.

Would Social Security checks still go out? If the checks are stopped, would all monies due be paid eventually?
Because Social Security benefits are not subject to appropriation, the Social Security Administration has told the House Committee on Ways and Means that the checks would go out.

Would Medicare payments be made, to doctors, hospitals, including emergency hospitalization and ER visits?
The House Committee on Ways and Means asked the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) if they have any information as to what would happen if there were a government shutdown and CMS would not give any guidance. According to Ways and Means, CMS had not thought about it. According to Ways and Means, the House Committee on Financial Services also made a similar request to CMS. CMS did note that Medicare doesn’t pay in real time. There’s a minimum two-week lag time, so if the government is shut down for more than two weeks there could be an issue. CMS could also hold claims like they did with doctors in a previous situation. According to the Congressional Research Service, non-essential services could see an impact. The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services will have to issue guidance on what they deem to be essential

Would Medicaid/SCHIP payments be made?
According to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, because Medicaid allotments are paid to states in advance on a quarterly basis, it is likely states will not see an immediate impact from a temporary government shutdown and consequently, nor will providers who serve the Medicaid and SCHIP populations.

What would happen with disability benefits (SSDI)?
According to the Committee on Ways and Means, disability benefits would continue to be paid. New benefit applications for retirement, disability, and survivors benefits may be delayed depending on the staffing plan Social Security develops, as the number of staff on hand would determine the amount of work processed. The plan is still with OMB for their review.

What would happen with Unemployment Benefits?
According to the House Committee on Ways and Means, benefits weren’t affected during the 1996 shutdown, and as mandatory spending, they would not expect them to be. States were just transferred their quarterly amounts to pay state benefits through at least the next two months. There is a concern about federally funded state administrative funds, but the Department of Labor just did a major transfer of state administrative funds in anticipation of the shutdown.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by Gus

we're becoming the laughing stock of the civilized world,

I totally disagree.

oh, it's not because of our President, for whom i voted. it's because the congress composed of both demo's and pubs can't manage to pass a
FEDERAL budget except for a mere month or two. it projects weakness. why not an annual budget, why not a five year budget projection, even 10 year if they're feeling particularly feisty.

It's due to 'grand-standers' from both parties... There's always a handful on both sides that just GOTTA be on camera puffing out their chests on some little issue; desperate to show their supposed importance... And the fractured GOP is in dire need of a bunch of members to be horsewhipped in PUBLIC...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Make the Senators vote and put on record those that voted against the military. Grandstanding in front of the camera is one thing, actually putting your vote on record is another. Could be an interesting mid-term elections.

Last edited by tpcollins; 01/19/18.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
How many of you "shut it downers" have parents or grandparents that live on SS? Ask them how they feel about shutting it down but maybe they can come live with you. I am all for some changes but cutting off peoples way of life is not the way. Like has been said maybe cutoff all of Congress paychecks thru the rest of their term!!!!!

Don't be retarded, SS payment will not be interrupted and neither will welfare payment.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And stop trying to blame Republicans for a shutdown! In the Senate, 60 votes are needed to pass the CR. That is 60 votes. The Republicans do control the Senate, but only have 51 votes. Dems will be the ones who get the blame this time.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by Gus

we're becoming the laughing stock of the civilized world,

I totally disagree.

oh, it's not because of our President, for whom i voted. it's because the congress composed of both demo's and pubs can't manage to pass a
FEDERAL budget except for a mere month or two. it projects weakness. why not an annual budget, why not a five year budget projection, even 10 year if they're feeling particularly feisty.

It's due to 'grand-standers' from both parties... There's always a handful on both sides that just GOTTA be on camera puffing out their chests on some little issue; desperate to show their supposed importance... And the fractured GOP is in dire need of a bunch of members to be horsewhipped in PUBLIC...

grandstanding in front of the cameras by both wings of the demo-publican consortium is exactly what it's all about. there is no excuse for this behavior, and we lowly commoners know that.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lastround
Dems will be the ones who get the blame this time.

But they are only trying to save everyone from Trump! That excuses them, don'tcha know? whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t have a problem with the government workers who are mostly democrats. They can blame their elected officials for no pay check. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like it may happen.

Just for how long is the question.

The last one was 16 days.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They close down things like National Monuments and beaches, so it hurts us. High profile on purpose. So they lose the revenue the places generate, but they post guards to keep people out, which costs money, and they pay the employees to stay home.

Social Security employees are deemed essential and continue working w/o pay until it's resolved. Nobodies checks stop.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
They close down things like National Monuments and beaches, so it hurts us. High profile on purpose. So they lose the revenue the places generate, but they post guards to keep people out, which costs money, and they pay the employees to stay home.

Social Security employees are deemed essential and continue working w/o pay until it's resolved. Nobodies checks stop.

But they (congress) still gets paid.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am going to give a different perspective on the topic. I spent 20 years in the Coast Guard and went back to work for the Coast Guard as a civilian when I retired. I have been a civilian employee for 13 years. With that said, I tend to be a small government type person. I see a lot of government waste in various forms and I see individual employees who are a waste of money. There are some government employees doing important work and doing it very well though. The importance of my position is arguable. My productivity is not. Of all the people who do what I do on the Gulf Coast, I have historically turned in the best numbers by far. I don't say that to toot my own horn but to set the stage for my overarching point. My job is highly independent. I work alone and rarely see the person who is my supervisor. Most of my job take proactive rather than reactive/response effort. I take my duty as a public servant seriously. I want to give the taxpayers and the people I serve the very best I can give them for their tax dollars. I always will, no matter how much I am used as a political pawn by our dysfunctional congress. But there are others who will abandon their loyalty over this. The government management model and organizational construct produces mediocrity as it is. They can ill afford to have disloyal, dispassionate employees who don't feel a sense of importance or belonging. Morale is important. These shutdowns have a productivity cost that cannot be measured. There are good people who will reach their fill over this and become the type who will do as little as possible for their paycheck. Why bust their balls for an ungrateful employer and an often ungrateful public. I have seen it happen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't see where it's ever made 2 schits of difference.

F
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Fireball2

But they (congress) still gets paid.

Everyone gets paid in the end. No one loses any money.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,831
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.