I hate that all of y'all grew up so poor. I never felt like my family was poor or struggling. I thought we ate jelly sandwiches and butter sandwiches because we liked them. Warm clothing was available when we were very young in the form of heavy wool coats. As we got older not so much. In the south, the struggle is to remain cool and about everything we had was cotton for that reason. Our houses were designed to keep you cool in the summer and were plenty drafty during the winter. We had gas heat and coal fireplaces to try and heat up the wind as it blew through the house. We never saw that as a problem because that is the way everyone lived.
When we started hunting we just doubled up on everything and made do. Sometimes we were warm, but I can remember dreading the sun coming up on the deer stand because that was as cold as it was going to be that morning. We never took what we considered risky chances with the cold but we did do some things I wouldn't do today.
We had fun times and cold was uncomfortable but we put-up with it and had a good time anyway.