Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I just acquired a 1956 Model 336 in. 35 Remington that is rough at the least, no blueing, minor pitting, weathered wood. My plan is to cerakote and if the stocks are salvageable to refinish, or replace if needed. Any particular things to investigate before investing time, money, and effort in to rebuilding it? Got it dirt cheap, and realise any collector value is gone, but always wanted a .35 to pair with my .30-30, .32 Win and my first rifle ever, a model 39 .22.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Check bore and function prior to firing. If those are good take it to the range. If it shoots good, proceed with your plan.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a very similar rifle, maybe same year. What blueing remains is more green/gray than blue/black. It wouldn't shoot for crap when I got it, about 6" at 50 yds. Running a tight patch through revealed some tight/loose spots. Bore scope showed a lot of transverse tool marks on the lands. Did a fire-lapping sequence with my NECO kit and last time out it was holding 2.5" for five shots @100yds. Manual re-crowning probably helped too. Still some tool marks up towards the muzzle an it copper fouls a bit, but I think I'm calling that aspect of it done. Disassemble and check that the bolt and firing pin are in good shape and haven't been mucked with. They are pretty easy to tear down and there are utube videos to help. One thing to consider is the hammer on these early guns is different than what came later and none of the available hammer extension fit, that I can find. This may be important if you plan to scope it low, as it should be. I'm living with it for now but will be making a custom extension or modifying the hammer. I'll be revinishing the wood, then stoning and rust blueing the metal one of these days. Need to play with stock bedding to see if I can improve the accuracy a little, but it is sufficient as it is now.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
[quote=gzig5]I have a very similar rifle, maybe same year. What blueing remains is more green/gray than blue/black. It wouldn't shoot for crap when I got it, about 6" at 50 yds. Running a tight patch through revealed some tight/loose spots. Bore scope showed a lot of transverse tool marks on the lands. Did a fire-lapping sequence with my NECO kit and last time out it was holding 2.5" for five shots @100yds. Manual re-crowning probably helped too. Still some tool marks up towards the muzzle an it copper fouls a bit, but I think I'm calling that aspect of it done. Disassemble and check that the bolt and firing pin are in good shape and haven't been mucked with. They are pretty easy to tear down and there are utube videos to help. One thing to consider is the hammer on these early guns is different than what came later and none of the available hammer extension fit, that I can find. This may be important if you plan to scope it low, as it should be. I'm living with it for now but will be making a custom extension or modifying the hammer. I'll be revinishing the wood, then stoning and rust blueing the metal one of these days. Need to play with stock bedding to see if I can improve the accuracy a little, but it is sufficient as it is now

Uncle Mike's now makes a hammer extension for older Marlins: Marlin® lever actions 1957-1982 #24520.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by model70man

Uncle Mike's now makes a hammer extension for older Marlins: Marlin® lever actions 1957-1982 #24520.

Unless there is a really new one, I've tried that one and it doesn't fit. I think the pre-57's are different and not supported as far as I can tell. OP and mine are 1956.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
On the stocks, I suggest stripping and maybe sanding to get them desirable. For a coating I highly suggest a pine tar treatment. Go to YouTube for the how to's.

I thinned down some pine tar and used a torch to apply it to my new Ruger Hawkeye. It's a great treatment because it impregnates the wood pores when heat is applied. It locks in the pores and makes the wood much more impervious to water and weather. The old timers used it extensively on tool handles to get them to last and last.

I'm a pine tar convert.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a 24" rifle with half magazine from 1952 that I like. I found a hammer extension for a Model 36 that worked well. I have heard of others claiming extensions for the Model 39 and some Winchester 94s also working but have not seen it first hand. It is possible as I have used extensions meant for other models on other hammer guns to help those with smaller/weaker thumbs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.