Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I can agree with that. The anti's won't be happy until there is zero hunting, hence no need for guns-according to them. There are however, a large # of people who may not themselves hunt but are not against others hunting within some guidelines. AFAIK, most places do not allow hunting from vehicles, and I don't think comparing wolf hunting in Russia to anything in the US has any merit. I feel hunting while drunk should be a felony. Alcohol and drugs/guns do not mix.

The way I look at it is this: Years ago, when Mafia people had a problem, they took care of it between themselves. Yes, people were killed. Compare that to inner city people shooting out of car windows or spraying innocent children, women, and unintended targets with bullets. Either way people die. There is a right way and a wrong way to do everything.

Just as the anti's are wrong with their extreme views, so are gun owners a hunters who feel they should be able to do whatever they want. It's pretty simple. Only hunt on land you own or have permission. That goes for the person and anything they own. Dogs, drones whatever; and do it within the hunting laws of your state.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just a joke since the poster implied anyone who does not live in state where there are numbers of wolves cannot understand the problem, and I repeat, who said anything about loving wolves or not hunting them?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a big difference between hunting and predator eradication.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by carlm
Running animals to death with fresh dogs, road hunting from the back of pickups, trespass with dogs, shooting treed animals and crap like this-no wonder people hate hunters/gun owners. I’m a hunter and I hate it.

carlm ,

No offence but no matter how little hunting we do the anti's are not going to like it . They're not the kind of people who will agree with ANYTHING we do .

That's the reason the anti's gain ground on us anyway because people like carlm cater to them....[bleep] the anti's....I'll stand up for what I believe in just like they do.

carlm- That's one of my passions in life is to run bears with hounds and yes fresh hounds if we got them. I've drove more National Forrest roads chasing bears with hounds more than most people has drove on the interstate and yes we have killed the hell out of treed bears...Nothing gives me more pleasure than to watch a young kid boy or girl to shoot their first bear out of a tree with a pack of hounds under it and all that beautiful noise of the hounds singing in the background...I've hunted with hounds all my life and have had dogs go on posted property and had to go get them and can because it's my legal right in VA as it should be.

I have yet in 45 years had a hound that was able to read a posted sign. Just because you don't do what we do don't mean it's wrong.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
the 'shooting treed animals' is the one that got me. What a tool....

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22
the 'shooting treed animals' is the one that got me. What a tool....

+1 on the tool...Yeah me too...He's an idiot....

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Just a joke since the poster implied anyone who does not live in state where there are numbers of wolves cannot understand the problem, and I repeat, who said anything about loving wolves or not hunting them?

I spent almost 4 years in Russia and did quite a bit of hunting and fishing there. Half of trips were cut short or cancelled if I did not come up with extra bribe money and and I calculated this in my cost.

The size of Russian landscape and the steppe areas are mind boggling ( dwarfs Alaska) and very little road access unlike here in the states, and Europe.

You can go by train, plane, helicopter, snowmobile or raft to hunting and fishing areas. Most areas near the few crappy roads are poached out and little game or fish. Plane and helicopter were very unreliable at least 20 years ago. Probably still is because Russia is a phugged up country.

The only way to hunt steppes in winter ( huge flat areas with limited cover) and cover the hundreds of miles needed is by snowmobile or can ariel shoot.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When the majority of people disagree with what hunters are doing, we get legislation. I guarantee you if someone comes across the 500 ac I own, it is my business, on public land, whatever the law says. If some animals are a danger or nuisance I see it, I see no sport in driving around and shooting a large stationary animal out of a tree. Same for high wire fenced "hunts". When you see less hunting opportunities in the future except for landowners and ask yourselves why, just look in the mirror.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
An idiot who votes.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
And who titled you predator eradicator?

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Never takes long for the name calling when anyone disagrees with your dwindling group.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
When the majority of people disagree with what hunters are doing, we get legislation. I guarantee you if someone comes across the 500 ac I own, it is my business, on public land, whatever the law says. If some animals are a danger or nuisance I see it, I see no sport in driving around and shooting a large stationary animal out of a tree. Same for high wire fenced "hunts". When you see less hunting opportunities in the future except for landowners and ask yourselves why, just look in the mirror.

All are legal forms of sport hunting. Some forms dont appeal to me but what business is it of mine? Driving around shooting animals in trees. Have to end my squirrel hunting.

Go on a guided cat hunt in winter and see if you drive up to a tree and just shoot the cat.

Out here in WA, OR, CA they ended hound hunting and there is an explosion of predators. And throw in the canadian wolves. Aint so great for the deer sheep and elk populations and seasons and quotas are less and less every year for the sportsmen. How does that make you feel?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Laws are subject to change. Piss off enough people and you will be negatively affected. Do you squirrel hunt on other peoples propert? The explosion of the wolf population has more to do with not allowing any wolf hunting (not a good idea) than anything else. I feel fine, thank you for asking. This as DNR agents will be cullng, sampling or whatever sugar coated $hit they’re passing out this year because 15 deer tested positive for CWD. They kill a lot more deer than the wolves,and they bait them, shine them and use night vision (all illegal n MO) and allow “cooperating landowners to do the same”. How does that make you feel? This is going on across the country. In IL when landowners would not give permission, they flew over in helicopters and shot them. Public land and acces to it is rapidly disappearing. The Feds are giving control of it to the states and they are selling it as fast as they get it, UT, CO everywhere. Hunting is a dying sport. Kids would much rather play video games than go hunting. This decline will continue, and there will be more against it than for it. We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. I’m in good company.

http://georgesoutdoornews.bangordai...s-to-private-land-but-not-their-hunters/

https://www.carolinajournal.com/news-article/tensions-fester-between-hunters-and-landowners-over-

https://www.washingtontimes.com/new...y-trespass-in-virginia-8212-for-now/dogs /

https://www.louisianasportsman.com/...iew&action=full_report&id=139231

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/03/12/mo-hunters-allowed-to-trespass-to-retrieve-hunting-dogs/

Last edited by carlm; 01/18/18.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
What are your feelings on me riding in the back seat of a Piper Supercub with an AR15 chasing down wolves in bush Alaska? Keep in mind that I held an arial gunner’s permit issued by the state of Alaska.

If you haven’t guessed I am like another poster above in that I give exactly zero [bleep] what the various anti types think, there is no middle ground with those morons.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Public land and acces to it is rapidly disappearing.

Is that a fact

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
How about the guy who responded from MT? No wolves there either. Who the hell said anything about loving wolves. There are ways to hunt and kill them that don't involve vodka and snowmobiles.

Since you asked. I am in my motel room in W. Yellowstone after spending the previous 9 hours hunting wolves on snowshoes in a snowstorm while pulling a sled. That may sound pretty sporty but I am exhausted, only covered 6 miles, made 6 stands since visibility was only about 300 yds. and saw nothing but Ravens and Weasels. I am now drinking gin instead of vodka and am considering renting a snow machine tomorrow. Them wolves have little to fear from me.

In 1989 I spent 110 days in then Soviet Kazakhstan, and learned a new definition of desperation and survival. They live a different level of existence from us and should not be judged by your narrow minded standards.

Mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
The chances I have to shoot a wolf under the current regs make it pretty slim for this old dude and they are at times a few yards from our place.My snogo is a noisy beast and the mountains are open to hunt if you are avery tough musher on snowshoes as most the places you could use a snogo is Restricted to non motorized travel. The Ruskys they are like the Americans that were here 100 yrs ago.

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
What ever makes the job easier.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This seems like a “Hot Thread”....So, here’s my money... 2 cents worth of nothing to add. Many years ago I lived in New Mexico for a year. I got an opportunity to head to West Texas for a Mofon Sheep hunt. It was a quick “Let’s do this hunt” situation. Back in the early 1990’s before the internet, it wasn’t possible to check out what this supposedly “hunting trip” all entailed. So, being new to New Mexico from Oregon and hooking up with a couple of native New Mexico hunters. I jumped at the chance to hunt West Texas.

Five of us loaded into a Ford F-350 for the 2 day drive to Texas. All of us had rifles that ranged from 22-50 to 300 Win Mags and $550 cash each to pay the rancher for a sheep.

The guy who put this whole hunt together told me we would be hunting a 22 thousand acre private ranch. We’d have to buy a Texas hunter license but tags were not needed...Being from Oregon and only hunting public land also known as “fair chase hunting” by some. I thought this would be the same thing. We’d have to locate the animals, possibly track them and make a shot...Oh, hell no! Not even close.

When we got there. We each paid the ranchers son $550 cash. Moved into our cabin. Had dinner and sat around the fire listening to the rancher guides tell us about what the morning hunt entailed. F#@K Me! This wasn’t a hunt! It’s was a bullshit exotic petting zoo. 250 acres of 6’ft high Austrian fencing holding animals this rancher had purchased and had trucked into this ranch. He had Mofon Sheep (Idiot, that I was for thinking this was indigenous to Texas) No internet to check, remember? Fallow deer. And several other weird animals. All for the taking,if you had the cash.

The next morning we loaded into customized Toyota Landcruisers set up for shooting out of... To cut this story short. All the hunters I traveled to this zoo with were stoked to bust a sheep at 25-75 yards away. These sheep were, well, just that, sheep with large curled horns all bunched together. We could have almost walked up and petted them. No, I didn’t shoot one that morning. I took the ranchers son aside that night and asked if I could make a shot on one from at least 200 yards instead of driving right up to them. He said, no problem. The next morning he drove me up to the highest point of the property and said to shoot away. Yep, I shot one at approximately 225 yards. It wasn’t hunting and even now typing this it still bothers me.

You see, some people think that this is hunting. People with more money than brains and health pay for the opportunity to kill an elk, deer or weird animal INSIDE A FENCED AREA that they can’t escape from. Folks, this isn’t hunting. Many of these richer than rich individuals even gave their rifle to this rancher afterwards as a tip for such a good time they had. I saw the collection of tipped rifles. Impressive collection Cabela’s would be proud of.

If you believe think this is hunting. Then you are as big of an idiot as I was for trying to legitimize this bullshit trip by making a longer shot on an animal.

High fencing is not hunting...Hunting private fair chase land is hunting. Buying animals and putting them into a fenced pet zoo isn’t hunting. Public land fair chase is hunting. If you feel otherwise, than you are an absolute tool!

Last edited by Beaver10; 01/26/18.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.