Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
All,

What are your thoughts on the long-term value of pre-64 model 70s? I'm talking about looking out 20-30 years or more.

In general, I don't really care. I tend to just buy what I like because I like it, and consider the money gone when it is spent. It's not like I'm counting on a stash of pre-64s for my retirement or anything like that.

My basic thought is that they will trend like many collectibles...high-grade and/or unusual samples should remain valuable. But common guns (e.g. a 80% .30-06 from 1960) isn't going to do much. As the guys who grew up dreaming of pre-64s get old enough to do more selling than buying, it will be harder to find buyers, especially since people today can buy a gun that shoots well for $300-$400. (I, for one, am looking for more than a Ruger American can provide...accuracy isn't everything.)

It seems like much of this is already going on. You guys who deal in them all of the time probably have a lot more insight into this.

At the end of the day, like I said, I don't really care. I buy what I like and enjoy it - Winchesters, Browning Safaris, Ruger flatbolts, etc. I'm just curious as to what you guys are seeing and expect to see in the future.

SR

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I expect value for pre-64 Model 70's in good original condition to keep pace with inflation, maybe a little bit better. This suits me just fine as I am very happy to pay money for a gun I will enjoy and then be able to get back the money when I go to sell.

Pre-64 Winchester's in non-original condition or with significant wear might easily go down along with the number of hunters who would want to use them in the field.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
As the parts mongers continue to tear up more pre'64 M/70's their numbers continue to shrink. I pity the younger shooters/hunters looking for shooter grade rifles as they a re becoming pricier and harder to find. I bought my first pre'64 M/70 in 1975, a prewar .30-06 Standard Grade fro $200.00 and have owned several over the years. As I get older I have thinned the herd to three, a Featherweight .257 Roberts (rebarreled by previous owner), a .30-06 Featherweight and a Super Grade .35 Whelen (rebored .30-06). I hunt with all three and will probably sell them when I am no longer able to hunt. My expectations are that I will get my money back not much more, but that's fine given the enjoyment I've had with the "Rifleman's Rifle".

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by south_ridge
...As the guys who grew up dreaming of pre-64s get old enough to do more selling than buying, it will be harder to find buyers...

Baloney.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
A little soft now, but they will go up. Now is a good time to buy!!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another variable is demographics. Just for fun I took a very decent cond standard 257 Roberts(1957 manufacture) with a newer Weaver scope to 2 different gun shops on opposite ends of the state. First gun shop tore it up(verbally) and said its only worth 800 bucks. Second gun shop didn't really even look it over and offered me 1200 on the spot. I did not sell. You just gotta watch and do your research. I hear of a lot of pre 64s tore up. I don't really like it but it only makes my original 70s more valuable.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
What most don't realize is that .257 Roberts is a fairly rare chambering in the pre'64 M/70. It has been my experience that .257's are found either in mint condition or well used, not many in between. I have owned prewars, 50's vintage, Super Grades you name it. My current .257 is a pre'64 Featherweight whose previous owner had rebarreled to that caliber, it is a favorite. I never understood why Winchester never offered the .257 in the pre'64 FW, perhaps they didn't feel it necessary given that they did chamber for the newer .243.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
As is the case with a lot of other things in life, it helps to be in the right spot at the right time (whether buying or selling)....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

GWiz-

I have a similar 35 Whelen, with the original barrel. Transition year and SN. Came from Idaho-stock looks exactly
like a SG-but glassed and very nicely done. The owner stated that it had a return privilege.."but you won't be returning it." He was correct.
Also have an older 338-06, same treatment to bore by R. Nickel, Eatonville, WA. Cut- rifling and VERY accurate.
SG stock with swivels purchased from Wimers 15 yrs ago. These are nice hunting rifles. Will handle deer-elk to moose.

Have a SG 300 H&H with Lyman Alaskan-G&H SMT. The pre-war hvy BBL 375 SGrades were rare and very nice. Only around for a short time.
I am interested in your 35 W and may PM you, con permiso.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I haven’t seen a lot of price increase in Pre-64’s in the last 15 years. I bought my first a little over 15 years ago. It was a nuttin fancy 1950 STD 30-06 with low comb stock for $600. The stock had lost much of its original finish, no rear sight, but had the steel buttplate. I bet if I looked around I could find the same today for $50 more. For comparison sakes a new Fwt around that time was $500, a new Fwt today made in Portugal is around $750.

I think most today who become interested or intrigued in the Pre-64 mantra walk in to a sporting goods store and say “got any Pre-64’s” are then handed a current production rifle and told “its gotta Pre-64 action”.

Most don’t recognize the little subtleties, they look the same to the novice, though one has a sleeved bolt, another is one-piece; one’s feeding is controlled by sheet metal magazine box lips, another a machined steel receiver with straight magazine, etc.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I suspect the altered common cartridge rifles will not be increasing in value. Rarer cartrdiges and/or models, even more so with condition, will always command a premium with collectors.

The current fashion is towards cheap, light rifles that shoot decently or long range "sniper" styling for the wannabees.

That would be fine with me, I want to pick up a few more pre 64s and hunt them til I am no longer able to go out afield.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bought my firsr, of 43, in January, 1968 about exactly 50 years ago. It was an unfired Alaskan .338WM and it is still very nice with a stock glassed and refinished due to cracking, as most did. I will probably never sell this, but, have sold four VERY nice specimens in 2017. You must be patient, ignore the pestering flippers who offer hundreds of dollars for rifles you have spent thousands purchasing and just find the honest enthusiast who wants a fine example at a fair price.

I still have several, four Alaskans in .338, two customs in .375 and .270 and a superb Std. in .300H&H. I don't use it, never bother with most of them as I now use my Dakota 76 .338s, and my KMA .280AI plus a find U/L custom Mod. 7 STS in 7-08. I have a matched pair of STS Classics from Martini Gunmakers in Mickys and these are .308/.338, my "truck guns"

I would not now buy as "investments" and really never have, as market trends at my age make this a futile pursuit. I doubt that P-64-70s will gain much in real value except for special examples and mint ones, but, who knows, the industry is developing fast and in unusual manners.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The current trend is cheap rifles like the Ruger RAR. I suspect that trend will continue and eventually the major manufacturers will eliminate the blue steel walnut stocked guns.

I believe small boutique companies will do a booming business filling that nitch.

Hell, the Colt peacemaker and 1894 haven't died after all these years the M70 wont either. The Pre-64 will continue to increase in value, the common models will keep pace with inflation. The rare models will appreciate with collector demand and I believe that will remain strong.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
South ridge: I have been collecting pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters for over 50 years now and am happy with the monetary appreciation they have attained and maintain!
Don't really recall them ever diminishing in value much, or at all, over the last half century?
My collection remains strong value wise and I have much pride in owning them.
The few I have sold over the years, again, have never diminished in value from when I bought them!
And the profit from their sales has been kept a secret from certain taxing entities!
Can't say that for real estate and banking investments I have made over that same time frame.
I think in 4 or 5 years I will start to sell off my large collection of Model 70's (along with some lever and rimfire Winchesters I own).
I expect the Model 70's to have appreciated in value notably at that time, as well - and again I will not advise ANY taxing entity as to my profits or losses (if you don't mind!).
The discretionary monies I have invested in Winchesters over the last 50 years has done one whole hell of a lot better than "pass book savings" have - especially in the last 15 - 20 years!
I only wish I had purchased more of them back when the "gettin was good"!
IF... I could see into the future "I" would be a billionaire!
I can't and am not - so I will have to settle for enjoying my Model 70's (and other guns) I have invested in, along with taking much solace that they are appreciating at a higher rate than the money I have in the bank.
Yeah I would MUCH rather invest $1,000.00 this month in a Model 70 than in putting that $1,000.00 in my bank!
I get NO pride of ownership at all in my bank account and its NO real fun viewing my accounts - whereas I get MUCH fun and satisfaction from chasing and buying Model 70's - always have, always will.
I will give you a WAG (wild assed guess!) here - I think my pre-64 Model 70's WILL appreciate in value over the next 5 (five!) years and that WAG will be compounded by this - I think they will appreciate at a minimum of 10% over that time!
Keep in mind my guns are of the mint condition and collector quality type.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle!
They aren't makin any more of'em!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What SNAP said. Be patient. I decided to shed the belted magnums several years ago. One was a Grade IV Browning BAR, engraved and signed by one of their master engravers. It had been hunted, but lovingly. Condition was nice. I ran adds, then put it on consignment for a couple of years. All I got were offers just a little above Gd II prices. I took it home to look at since no one wanted it. Then out of the blue about four years ago, the former consigning dealer called and said he had a customer wanting my BAR, if I still had it. The dealer sold it for a bunch of money less a very reasonable 10% consignment fee. Everyone is happy: buyer, dealer, and me.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Many good points brought up. The rare and unused will continue to grow in value, but many of the common caliber, shooter grade guns have leveled off or dropped a bit in price as the pool of younger shooters wanting a well made classic is declining.
Yes it's sad to see them sold off in parts but I can understand people wanting spares. I for one will always use and enjoy my pre 64 M70's, just not much else out there that interests me.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for all of the input. I really appreciate it.

SR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quality and craftsmanship never go out of style. Some are to ignorant to appreciate it, but that's a different story.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.