Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

If I understand correctly, Condition One = fully charged, cocked, safety on. Condition Two = fully charged, not cocked,safety on. No safety on a revolver, so I would say the terms don't apply to all firearms. What am I missing? Not being argumentative, genuinely curious.

Pretty close. Both conditions include a loaded mag in place. If this is included in your "fully charged", as I believe is the case, you are spot on.

Most modern revolvers have transfer-bar or other safeties that are disabled when the trigger is pulled.

The belief that revolvers do not have external safeties is generally true, although as late as 1970 the S&W Model 40 was available with a grip safety and there have been a few others with external safeties as well.

When my LCR or SP101 are "fully charged" (loaded in all chambers) with the hammer down and the trigger in the forward position (hammer block safety enabled), I don't think it's a big stretch to consider them in "Condition Two". In any case, they are similar in mode to a semi-auto with a trigger safety but no external thumb safety.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Anyone that carries without a round in the chamber is afraid of their gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the choice was a loaded revolver or a chamber empty semj, give me a revolver everytime.
I don't care that the semi is smaller, lighter and has double or more capacity. The revolver, loaded and ready
trumps everything,

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well sure aint afraid of my gun , but I have carried without One in the Chamber. When the risk of that was greater than the risk of needing it immediately. Example when I carry a Glock 30 with no holster just in my waistband the reason I do that sometime just to get it low enough with a gun don't stab me in the ribs when sitting in a tractor Dozer backhoe excetera the biggest red I have there was probably from armadillos or something so I didn't carry One in the Chamber with no holster make sense to some of you yeah. Now if I'm carrying in a good holster and going in an environment that the risk would go up of needing to use such pistol well then one is in the chamber.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Anyone that carries without a round in the chamber is afraid of their gun.

By that logic, when I carry my weapon in Condition One or Two, which I frequently do at the range and occasionally elsewhere, I am not afraid of it. But then, when I decide to carry the same weapon empty chamber, I'm afraid of it?

I've been carrying semi-auto handguns in Condition One since 1960 or so when I first started carrying Granddad's High Standard .22 on the farm. Condition One is hardly something new to me.

When I look at my semi-auto handgun collection, five are capable of Condition One, three are not. Four are capable of Condition Two, four are not. Five are safety down to fire, two are safety up, one has no safety at all.

In Condition Three, they are all the same, which I find advantageous. Does Three have a disadvantage under selected circumstances? Of course.

Of the two semis I currently use for EDC, one is Condition One capable, the other is not. One is safety up, the other safety down. Whether they are in the safe, on my hip or in the house and high out of reach of the grandkids (oldest is 3-1/2), they are in Condition Three - which makes them the same. I like same.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
sorry dude after doing some reading on this subject its obvious your afraid of something, there is some discomfort up there in your head, you call it reasonability but its just rationalization of a fear. Get a Glock and you won't have to thumb down the hammer. In full disclosure I have a fear as well! I wont appendix carry with a G19 and a round in the chamber and no holster, I am afraid it might blow my Johnson off by accident, so I use a good holster!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If someone is scared to the point I'm reading here, then I'd be more comfortable with them not carrying at all.

Are we at Defcon 3 yet?

There's certainly new scales being defined here...

Condition 1) My tummy is rumbling.

Condition 2) Wait. That was just a fart.

Condition 3) Oh Hell. Does anyone have a roll of paper towels?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guys - we've been had...

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
.....I've been carrying semi-auto handguns in Condition One since 1960 or so when I first started carrying Granddad's High Standard .22 on the farm. Condition One is hardly something new to me.....

Previously, in this thread...

...... I've been carrying pretty much every day for 10-11 years, and intermittently for several years prior.....

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This little tid-bit from another thread may give us a hint as to that fear....

My current EDC gun is a S&W Shield in .40 S&W. Before I tuned the trigger it was not really suitable for EDC.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.”

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Guys - we've been had...

.....I've been carrying semi-auto handguns in Condition One since 1960 or so when I first started carrying Granddad's High Standard .22 on the farm. Condition One is hardly something new to me.....

...... I've been carrying pretty much every day for 10-11 years, and intermittently for several years prior.....

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I stand by what I said and it is not at all contradictory.

In 1960 I was a 9 year-old kid. Carrying Granddad's .22 High Standard was hardly a "pretty much every day" event, as our farm was several miles away. Nevertheless, my brothers and I did a LOT of shooting and hunting at Granddad's. We'd ride our bikes over pretty much whenever we wanted to. Since we rarely had more than a box or two of bullets and Granddad always had bricks, I probably shot more at Granddad's place than on the home farm. I loved shooting the High Standard and would do so often. Still do, as I got it when Granddad passed away.

I got my CCW license in 2003 when Colorado became a "shall issue" state. I didn't start carrying "pretty much every day" until 2007 or 2008.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
sorry dude after doing some reading on this subject its obvious your afraid of something, there is some discomfort up there in your head, you call it reasonability but its just rationalization of a fear. Get a Glock and you won't have to thumb down the hammer. In full disclosure I have a fear as well! I wont appendix carry with a G19 and a round in the chamber and no holster, I am afraid it might blow my Johnson off by accident, so I use a good holster!!

I’m with you. I would only appendix carry a double action auto or a double action revolver. Same reason.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like cockroaches, this thread seems likely to survive Armageddon.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Like cockroaches, this thread seems likely to survive Armageddon.

Be patient, I think we're just a couple pages away from everyone being in agreement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guys - we've been had...

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I stand by what I said and it is not at all contradictory.

In 1960 I was a 9 year-old kid. Carrying Granddad's .22 High Standard was hardly a "pretty much every day" event, as our farm was several miles away. Nevertheless, my brothers and I did a LOT of shooting and hunting at Granddad's. We'd ride our bikes over pretty much whenever we wanted to. Since we rarely had more than a box or two of bullets and Granddad always had bricks, I probably shot more at Granddad's place than on the home farm. I loved shooting the High Standard and would do so often. Still do, as I got it when Granddad passed away.

I got my CCW license in 2003 when Colorado became a "shall issue" state. I didn't start carrying "pretty much every day" until 2007 or 2008.

Not contradictory - just incomplete. Thanks for clearing that up. But you can't deny the implication of greater experience you allowed - intentionally or not. No comprehension problem here. Big difference between "I've been carrying since..." and "I carried when I was a kid". And "..for several years prior..." implies a later start. Call it a minor oversight though. Carry on...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I’m with you. I would only appendix carry a double action auto or a double action revolver. Same reason.

I'm worse. I just won't do it. No way. And I'll freely admit that is an irrational decision.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not contradictory - just incomplete. Thanks for clearing that up. But you can't deny the implication of greater experience you allowed - intentionally or not. No comprehension problem here. Big difference between "I've been carrying since..." and "I carried when I was a kid". And "..for several years prior..." implies a later start. Call it a minor oversight though. Carry on...

Sorry for the confusion. I assumed the "..for several years prior..." would correctly be understood to mean licensed CCW. In retrospect I understand how it could be confusing. My bad.

As a kid it was all open carry on private property, no CCW required.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Appendix carry should be renamed with a more appropriate name:

Right Nut Carry

Left Nut Carry

Nut Sack Carry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

Appendix carry should be renamed with a more appropriate name:

Right Nut Carry

Left Nut Carry

Nut Sack Carry

You forgot femoral artery carry. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sorry for the confusion. I assumed the "..for several years prior..." would correctly be understood to mean licensed CCW. In retrospect I understand how it could be confusing. My bad.

As a kid it was all open carry on private property, no CCW required.

It's all good. wink

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.