Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
can you use semi-auto's there?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gemby58
not in PA

Well, there are 49 other states. IIRC, Connecticut has strict rules on where you can and can't use CF rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DollarShort
There's some places you can't shoot a centerfire rifle.

anyplace where you can shoot a rim fire you can shoot a centerfire, rimfire ricochet more than centerfire, if you use a bullet like the speer tnt in a 223 no ricochet

The 17 HMR with the 17 grain poly tip bullet is very low risk of ricochet. When those bullets hit almost anything they come apart and have no gas left. I certainly wouldn't say the same for your average 223 bullet, even the more lightly constructed ones. In the unlikely event of a miss, the 223 is going much further.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lennie

17 Hornet, a lb. of powder reloads 700 cases or about .03 cents per round. A small rifle primer is .03 cents. A bullet is about .12 cents or less. Total cost is .18 cents.

You gotta love that free range brass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

yes you can hunt squirrels with a centerfire, I use a 223 with blue dot loads to do so, squirrels @ 100 yards are easy

You ought to let these folks know, they have it all wrong.

https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter141/s141.22.html

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Gemby, your explanation of cost is not apples and apples today. Using 1994 price levels is an odd way of sharing cost, at least to me. I don’t view reloading as a brilliant enjoyable past time. It’s great for precision loads but not for volume at least for me.

My time value has also got to be figured into the mix. I can be doing a lot of other things in my life than reloading bulk ammo in volume. Not to mention I could not load it to be more accurate.

i can quote 94 prices as that's what I paid and still have a box and ahalf left so this is what it cost me to load, its alot cheaper than 17HMR prices, and kills one heck of alot better, more accurate and less wind sensitive, I enjoy reloading, i better i do it every day for at least 2 to 3 hours, if I didn't I would not do it or pay someone else to do it.

Holy crap man. I am a little bit disappointed I have to explain this to you. You were extolling the cost benefits of reloading based on the price you paid for reloading components a quarter century ago. That's like me getting into a "which gun" discussion and trying to convince people to buy a Winchester Model 70 based on what I paid 25 years ago. That's plain damn dumb.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

yes you can hunt squirrels with a centerfire, I use a 223 with blue dot loads to do so, squirrels @ 100 yards are easy

I see 22 cal or less

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I see 22 cal or less

I consider a .223 or .224 bullet to be greater than .22 caliber. I guess PA leaves that up for interpretation.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
gemby,

You really don't get it, do you?

You're insinuating that anybody who buys and uses a .17 HMR is dumb, because YOU don't need/want one, since Pennsylvania (where YOU live) doesn't require rimfires for hunting small game, and YOU can handload cheaper ammo based on 1994 prices.

Are you related to Savage99?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
gemby,

You're insinuating that anybody who buys and uses a .17 HMR is dumb, because YOU don't need/want one, since Pennsylvania (where YOU live) doesn't require rimfires for hunting small game, and YOU can handload cheaper ammo based on 1994 prices.

It'll be interesting to see if he lets it go rather than double down. If I were a betting man I'd wager a big bet that he doubles down on the dumbassery and wears it like a badge of honor.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I see 22 cal or less

I consider a .223 or .224 bullet to be greater than .22 caliber. I guess PA leaves that up for interpretation.

It's hard to argue that a 22 caliber centerfire isn't 22 caliber. Rimfire 22's aren't 22 caliber either, by such a definition, as the guns are cut with .222" grooves as standard. I reside part-time time in PA, and no one I have ever spoken to regarding guns or small game hunting in PA interprets the law the way you have here, Paul.

But I agree that standard attribution error is going on here, with Gemby universalizing his rather specialized set of experiences, which is irrational at best.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is anyone producing 17 HMR with bullets over 20gr?

25-30gr and a bit less violent expansion?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I should add that my dad built a 17 HMR out of a Ruger 10/22 in 22 Mag, with carbon fiber bbl, heavy bolt, and special recoil spring. He never shot it while he was alive. I swapped out the crappy factory trigger for the Ruger light trigger (that they should put in the guns in the first place). It will shoot a full 9 shots into an inch at 100 yds with whatever ammo I've this tried. Awesome rig, just awesome.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
gemby,

I'm not insulting anybody that owns a 17 caliber heck I own 17 HMR 17 Hornets 17 Remington I'm just stating that my experience for the 17 HMR for groundhogs in Pennsylvania is least an adequate I rather take a 22 long rifle out there and shoot groundhogs in with a 17 HMR and this is based on my experience

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
gemby,

I'm not insulting anybody that owns a 17 caliber heck I own 17 HMR 17 Hornets 17 Remington I'm just stating that my experience for the 17 HMR for groundhogs in Pennsylvania is least an adequate I rather take a 22 long rifle out there and shoot groundhogs in with a 17 HMR and this is based on my experience, and that I rather take a 223 out with blue. Reduced loads and a 17 HMR because it kills more adequately

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Gemby, your explanation of cost is not apples and apples today. Using 1994 price levels is an odd way of sharing cost, at least to me. I don’t view reloading as a brilliant enjoyable past time. It’s great for precision loads but not for volume at least for me.

My time value has also got to be figured into the mix. I can be doing a lot of other things in my life than reloading bulk ammo in volume. Not to mention I could not load it to be more accurate.

i can quote 94 prices as that's what I paid and still have a box and ahalf left so this is what it cost me to load, its alot cheaper than 17HMR prices, and kills one heck of alot better, more accurate and less wind sensitive, I enjoy reloading, i better i do it every day for at least 2 to 3 hours, if I didn't I would not do it or pay someone else to do it.

Holy crap man. I am a little bit disappointed I have to explain this to you. You were extolling the cost benefits of reloading based on the price you paid for reloading components a quarter century ago. That's like me getting into a "which gun" discussion and trying to convince people to buy a Winchester Model 70 based on what I paid 25 years ago. That's plain damn dumb.

I'm saying that I rather go load 223's and go pay $10 a box for HMR ammo when I can load a hundred rounds of 223 is 4 less than that doesn't matter if my bullets came from 10 years ago 20 years ago 30 years ago I still have a pile bullet so it does not cost me that much money holy crap man

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

I'm saying that I rather go load 223's then go pay $10+ a box for HMR ammo, I can load a hundred rounds of 223 less than a box of HMR holy crap man

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1994 prices should include the cost of the money.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
gemby,

It'll be interesting to see if he lets it go rather than double down. If I were a betting man I'd wager a big bet that he doubles down on the dumbassery and wears it like a badge of honor.

You lost your bet

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What did a brick of 22lr cost in 1994?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 2500HD, 71 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.