Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Most done in the field, quartered, caped and head removed. Rare a cervid makes it back to a building.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Hit this deer with a gay 270. Blew his head clean off, quartered the rest of the deer. All with one shot.

I built that rack 5 or 6 years ago.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by rost495
Here is another one.

How many use a bone saw when cleaning a deer when you don't need a saw at all?

I use a Sagan Saw to cut a section out of the pelvic bone and then break the pelvis so that I can pull all of the entrails out as one unit, no need to cut around the anus and tie it off.

I use this methodology too, however, you don't need a saw or pruning shears. I simply place the tip of my knife, at the centre of the pelvis juncture & 2-3 taps of the back of the blade with a hatchet splits the pelvis, slight push on each inner ham & done. I find it also leaves less jagged bone to rip up the back of my hands. All the guts exit through the split pelvis.

Never needed a saw for the sternum either. If you can't split with a knife, straight down the centre, move approximately an inch either side & split the cartilage between the rib bone & the harder sternum.

I know people who split the pelvic bone in the manner than you've described, but I'm not a fan of hitting my knives with a hatchet or a hammer or an axe. I usually bring a BUCK # 119 to split the sternum and smaller knife for the finer work, but have used a Witterlings Wildlife Axe that one of my buds has sharpened to a razor sharp edge for the sternum splitting chore.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When gutted in the garage i hang head down. First skin, then gut.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Head up, for no other reason, than that's the way my dad showed me.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was worried about warmer weather moving in on all 3 of my deer this year, taken in archery, rifle and late antlerless seasons. Ended up quartering by gutless method on all three and putting them in a cooler to soak in cold water for a while, then draining and covering with ice for a few days till I was ready to cut them up for the freezer.
Usually I hang them head down and hope they don't freeze before I get the processing done. Even the ones I've shot with the 270.

Last edited by Ole_270; 01/18/18.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I hang em head down, skin with a winch, then gut em.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rare for us to bring in a whole animal as rigs can't get into our deer and elk spots. That being: gut and skin on the ground (may hang head down for skinning if in a sandy or dirty environment and a tree is available), hang by the hocks for storage or aging, and butchered on a 4 x 8 ft bench.

When suspended by the neck to a single point, I find the carcass spinning and swaying to no end. With a two point hook up to the hocks about 90% of that issue goes away.

Will do the gutless deal if I am immediately headed home. Typically though, things may have to hang around camp for a week or more as the group tries to tag out. Then game comes in mostly in halves or quarters to minimize surface exposure. Hams are hung again by the hocks and front quarters by a line through a hole two ribs in.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/18/18.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I reversed some words and so messed up the post that I will simply delete it.

Last edited by Okanagan; 01/19/18.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Head down or You would be asked to leave My camp. A deer hung by the neck is not acceptable for a few reasons. I believe that Cornell Co-Op Extension suggests - Head down and aged.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by hanco
Why do you gut them?

Not everyone can drive up to the corn spinner for wheeled retrieval. smile

Interesting as my guide and I in NE BC did not gut my elk and moose which resulted in a lot less on the horses to get back to camp. Seems the same would apply for a human pack out?

Not legal in AK due to salvage requirements....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by rost495
Here is another one.

How many use a bone saw when cleaning a deer when you don't need a saw at all?

Gutting it?

If you're referring to gutting it, the only time I cut the pelvic bone is when I'm going to donate it. FHFH requires it. Generally I don't worry about the ass hole because I'll have it quartered up before it would matter.

If you're talking about processing it, I use a saws-all for any bone cutting.

We don't process anything bone in. but I'm talking quartering, cutting ribs off, cutting head off, cutting legs off. How many use a saw, how many use joints that are there? I don't recall using a saw to get em in a cooler ever in a long time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve never seen anyone use a saw, what do you saw?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve never seen anyone use a saw, what do you saw?

IN the thread -- several of us said we SAW...

thru the pelvis or pelvic bone,

thru the sternum.

Some people use a saw on ribs, leg joints, etc.

Note: I process my deer at home so that CAN modify the situation.

I began using a reciprocating saw for the Pelvis and to cut off the back bone.

Since I had the saw out... it's so easy just to saw thru the sternum. I never did that till I began processing at home.

Y M M V

I use what works for me and what I like.

Use what works for you and what you like. Please don't tell me why I should do it your way.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pretty much dress a deer like I was taught when killing beef for the locker plant, when I was young. Saw the sternum, split the pelvis with a knife, use knife at joints for the legs and head. Hang head down. Harder to do, but skinning cold makes a better looking carcass. I seldom do that any more. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Taconic11
Head down or You would be asked to leave My camp. A deer hung by the neck is not acceptable for a few reasons. I believe that Cornell Co-Op Extension suggests - Head down and aged.

When I lived in New England a lot of deer hunters hung their deer head up, some probably because that is how the Benoits did it and the Benoit's were influential in some New England hunting circles.

Since moving to Nebraska, I don't recall ever seeing a deer hung head up anywhere in CO, KS, MO, NE, or SD.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Ive was taught how to skin one by hanging them head down. Never tried it any other way. Hang them up and slit the throat to try and drain some blood and work away.

I didnt notice anybody say they debone as they go.
I find it easier to go ahead and debone the meat starting at hinds and working down getting the meat off the bones and throwing it in a cooler of cold water.
When we are done just wrap the cap back along the deer and load it up to haul it to the bone yard. Havent used a gut bucket in a long time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Ive was taught how to skin one by hanging them head down. Never tried it any other way. Hang them up and slit the throat to try and drain some blood and work away.

I didnt notice anybody say they debone as they go.
I find it easier to go ahead and debone the meat starting at hinds and working down getting the meat off the bones and throwing it in a cooler of cold water.
When we are done just wrap the cap back along the deer and load it up to haul it to the bone yard. Havent used a gut bucket in a long time.

Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I hang mine with the head down. I don't ever gut them anymore and never use a saw.

I was in a camp once that had a homemade walk in freezer. Worked well til freezer part quit.

Now I debone hanging. No need to gut. Cut the stomach far enough down to reach in and get sweet meat.

Deboning while hanging allows me more room for meat in a cooler.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
get a good pair of long handled pruning shears and a good knife. gut in the field,hang by the hind legs. skin down to the top of the neck on a none rutting buck,rutting buck I never save the neck roast,to much fluid in it for me. cut around the neck thru the windpipe ,take the shears and cut the head off. shoulders next cut them off the deer with leg still attached. lay the leg fat and cut with knife right thru the joint.after the shoulders are gone loins come out next with knife,then do the tenderloins. then cut around the backbone right below the hind quarters and lop the bones with the shears. I thin cut the whole center bone out in one piece. cut from both sides staying close to the bone as possible,pop the joint tendon with knife and remove. hind quarters should be separated. take one off the hook and lay flat. cut thru the leg joint removing the hock with knife. if you've never done this it takes alittle practice to hit the right spot with your knife. then it go in the spare frig for 5-7 days. this all takes me about 20-25min.

Last edited by srwshooter; 01/19/18.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Taconic11

When I lived in New England a lot of deer hunters hung their deer head up, some probably because that is how the Benoits did it and the Benoit's were influential in some New England hunting circles.

Since moving to Nebraska, I don't recall ever seeing a deer hung head up anywhere in CO, KS, MO, NE, or SD.

----Ya got to give that buck ya just shot respect. Hang him by the neck with his tongue stuck out the side of his mouth looks like you just had a public hanging of Coony Millet -- wanted in three states for rape, bank robbery, and murder. ---------- Web

Last edited by wldthg; 01/19/18.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.